News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Spam - A Lot!

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, November 23, 2009, 05:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

It seems the past week or so, there has been more spam than usual.  And it seems that each spammer makes 3 threads.  Not 2, not 4, just 3. 

I don't know much about computers, but can someone (evil someone) set up their computer to do that, or is it just a fluke?   ???
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

renfairephotog

Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceedest on to three.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

Yep they can. So just use report to mod. Then reply "reported" in the thread so everyone knows that it been reported. That way the mod/admin boxes aren't flooded with reports on the same spam.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Celtic Lady

meauho

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on November 23, 2009, 05:40:14 AM
It seems the past week or so, there has been more spam than usual.  And it seems that each spammer makes 3 threads.  Not 2, not 4, just 3. 

I don't know much about computers, but can someone (evil someone) set up their computer to do that, or is it just a fluke?   ???

Being a new member, i don't know what the flood limit is for this forum (if it is SMF default or higher).  However, as admin of several other forums, we have noticed that (based on post time) the bots typically get nailed by the flood control so they only post in a certain number of threads.

I had one forum where I had intentionally removed all flood control (in the coding), and we would get spam bots in every single thread.
"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common."

Bonny Pearl

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

DeadBishop

If anyone sees spam on the forum, remember to use the "report to moderator" button.  That will get our attention the fastest to be able to deal with the problem.

R/F.com member since 2003

Rani Zemirah

I have been taking a look at new member profiles lately, and it seems there is an uncommon number of them that have links attached for obvious "outside sales" sites.  What about those people, who are obviously only here hoping that someone will click on their link, but without any intention of ever participating in the forums at all?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Tygrkat

There have been quite a few lately, Rani Zemirah, I've noticed them too  :-\

When I see posts like that, I usually click the "report to moderator" button, then DB and/or John are aware of the spammer and can handle it however they see fit.

50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Bonny Pearl

We get our fair share trying to register on the McLotofus forums.  Pain in the keester I tell ya!  I hate spam... did I mention I hate spam?!  >:(  ;D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Rani Zemirah

Oh, most of the ones I'm talking about never post, they just create a profile with a link to some sales site in the "Website" field of their profile page, so they can get a few cents if anyone clicks on it, but they're not here to actively spam, or to actively participate...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

irish

I like SPAM fried with eggs......... :P
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Lady Nicolette

I knew the original King of Spam, or at least his firstborn son, Geordie Hormel.  Geordie got a kick out of useless stuff being called "spam."  It's one of the world's most popular foods, oddly enough.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on August 15, 2010, 10:21:12 PM
I knew the original King of Spam, or at least his firstborn son, Geordie Hormel.  Geordie got a kick out of useless stuff being called "spam."  It's one of the world's most popular foods, oddly enough.

Especially in Hawaii *grins*

We went to a restaurant there (and did not stay, alas), that served spam with every dish.

*balk*

Anyways, I do have something to add to this. I'm a web designer and do database work, no matter what you'll never get rid of them even if you beef up your procedures. The rule of three you've seen is due to the fact that they do flood and most databases only allow "X" number of responses per "X" time.

It's  a bot, and not a real person normally. Annoying. I know. :(
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Calling your attention to new member: zuohuijuan

See Knights, Squires, Joust- what's your home faire.