News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Armor

Started by Black Armor, May 26, 2008, 11:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBill Lurker

Very nice! I especially like what you did with your boots!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

escherblacksmith

Nice work, looks heavy.

did you do the boots to?  or are they more like really ornate covers?
--

Black Armor

Lady Joyce- I would say I probably have around 200 hours into the red one because I wanted to make as much of the costume as I could.  I didn't have any pre-made patterns and had to kind of design it as I went.  Since I didn't really know what I was doing it took me a while to figure out and a wasted a bit of leather from making mistakes.

Black Smith- The feet you see on the red one are actually boot covers and are extensions of the greaves.  There is a strip of latigo leather that holds the foot part onto the greaves and sort of makes a hinge so that they flex with my foot when I walk.  I got the idea from someone I met last year at the MiRf who had something similar.  He goes by Robert of Armstrong on the message boards.  Hopefully he'll check in here and post a pic of his armor.  It was really nice.

robert of armstrong

Thanks for the props, Black Armor, or is it now Red Armor?  Either way, I am now green with envy over your new creation.  It is awesome!!  The best is that you were able to make it yourself.  I don't know where you got the time, nor the patience.

And of course I'm happy to post a photo of my pride and joy.  I think you know the one, it is one of my favorite photos:

I'm at Michigan on the weekend of Aug 17th.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Black Armor

Then I'll see you there.  I'm planning on being there both days and in costume if I can.  I tore up my shoulder jumping a fence at work and will probably have to have surgery.  Hopefully I will be recovered and able to bear all that leather and chain on my shoulders.  I am optimistic.

robert of armstrong

Wait until you see my new scale!!!

Black Armor

Metal or leather scale?

Good news, my shoulder is just broken and won't require surgery.  Doc said it should heal fine and
won't require surgery so I'll be healed in time to don the armor August 16th.

Poldugarian Warrior

I'd definitely wear the red because it's new, but also at Halloween too because you look like one of the devil's minion in that one. The black is good for if you garbed as a traditional viking warrior. Very good work.

robert of armstrong

I can't believe you just said "Good news, my shoulder is just broken."

I am replacing the chain maille with a metal scale hauberk, it should be ready.  The biggest problem is going to be the weight.  The chain is around 45-50 pounds, but the scale is going to be heavier, around 80-85 pounds.  I'm going to have to hit the stairmaster wearing it just to get used to being in it for extended periods.

Black Armor

Wow, 80-85 lbs in just the scale?!  And then you're adding the leather on too?  Then you're going to have over 100 lbs in the whole costume right?  I thought my stuff was heavy.  That's insane!

escherblacksmith

That is really heavy . . . what is the gauge/thickness of steel you are using?

--

Once Debauched

OMGarsh!  All these pics and talk of armor and maile has made me... tingly!  I LOVE the new armor, Black Armor.  Heck, I even like the old stuff a bunch!  I think I got some odd "guy chromosome" cause armor and blunt force trauma totally do it for me.

I'll be back later for more uh... research.

*cold chill and schoolgirl giggle*
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

robert of armstrong

The scales themselves are 1 3/8" long, 7/8" wide and 25 thousandths of an inch thick, and are leaf-shaped.

They weigh over 5 pounds per thousand, and there are at least 7 thousand scales in the hauberk.  This is going to be true maille, though, not scales attached to fabric or leather.  That means that the scales are held together with rings.  So there will be around 16 thousand rings that were originally going to be a battle ready hauberk themselves, 16 gauge, 5/16" rings, in an oriental 4 into 1 pattern, with the hole in the ring being the "1".

I have a headache just thinking about it.  Don't be surprised if you see me wearing it and I am sweating a little.

L Dale Walter

[quote The biggest problem is going to be the weight.  The chain is around 45-50 pounds, but the scale is going to be heavier, around 80-85 pounds.  I'm going to have to hit the stairmaster wearing it just to get used to being in it for extended periods.
[/quote]

Forget the Stairmaster.  I think you should go on a strict schedule of swimming for your workouts, wearing this new scale of course...

Now that would be a workout.

L. Dale Walter
(Has lots of armor, charges 100% more when he has to wear it)

Black Armor

You need to get to the faire early so you can get a parking spot close to the entrance.