News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Simplicity 2859 (Tudor with french hood)

Started by bellevivre, November 24, 2009, 02:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

Anyone made this?

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1547-costumes.aspx

it SHOCKINGLY looks pretty spot-on- I'm not seeing princess seams or darts at the bust, and the french hood does NOT resemble a sun visor stuck on top of her head!!!

What about these underthings? Is that a busk I see?

http://www.simplicity.com/p-1576-costumes.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

LadyShadow

I'm not sure who,  but someone on the forum made the dress, not sure about the French hood though, and the pics are here somewhere.

And I believe it was Gem who has made the bodice of the underthings.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

gem

Lady S is right; I did make the corset!

I didn't use the busk, but it was simple enough to just bone the thing for cable ties.  I'm actually giving serious consideration to making it again, this time a hemp-corded version (as an experiment).

I kind of think that there's too much fabric in the skirts of that Tudor gown.  I think at least one RF.com member has made it--check either the finished projects thread, or go back to April and find the new patterns from Simplicity thread that discusses both of these.  ;D

bellevivre

OOH! I remember seeing these pictures- i didnt realize that's the pattern you used. What did you bone with? I prefer steel, but that's a LOT of steel! Maybe a mix? hmmm...

was the pattern easy to work with? I avoid patterns because they frustrate me- I'd rather draft my own!
Belle the Kat

GirlChris

It was Tixi who did the whole gown. Her dress diary is here: http://www.needlewoman.org/2009/04/23/early-tudor-gown/

I've made up the farthingale. I ignored the directions for the waistband, though- it wanted a drawstring that was sewn down so it couldn't be adjusted. Very weird. I boned it with polyurethane tubing (the kind used for ice makers). It works pretty well!

And under a dress...

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

AS much trouble I have been having getting hooping from any vendor for farthingales, how well does the tubing work? How sturdy is it??
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

Belle, I used cable ties; but I'm actually thinking hard about trying the same pattern with hemp cord (you know how it is when you get a corset pattern that fits!!).  I can't recall exactly, but I almost want to say it calls for steel (but that would be too much to hope for, wouldn't it?). 

If you're interested in an exhaustive analysis, you can read my review at Pattern Review.

bellevivre

if it's calling for steel, lol then that's going to be the heaviest, safest corset ever! who needs a flack vest? I have my corset! I'll definitely do some steels regardless- only steel will take the terrible twosome!

and thanks for the link- I'm definitely checking it out! it's going to be chilly at Sherwood, and what better excuse for a lovely black and red tudor? Black velveteen, and black acanthus flocked red taffeta... *sigh*
Belle the Kat

Lady L

I made 2 of the French Hoods. They were easy to do and came out really well. Mostly hand sewing, but very nice results. Pics are on here in the finished projects, back in June/July. Pages 64, 65 and 68. :)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Lady Rebecca

I used part of the pattern when I made the gown in my avatar. I used it for the lower sleeves, but I think I mostly used other patterns for the skirt, and the bodice is highly altered from some other pattern, too. I don't really remember what all I used - I would have to go through my pattern stash to find out.

GirlChris

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on November 24, 2009, 08:43:40 PM

AS much trouble I have been having getting hooping from any vendor for farthingales, how well does the tubing work? How sturdy is it??

To me, it seems to work pretty well. However, please note that I don't own any heavy skirts to wear on top, so I don't know how it would stand up to the extra weight.

Also, it is MUCH thicker than hoop steel, so you have to be careful when attaching your channels or you'll get terrible hoop bleed through. I used 1 1/2" wide twill tape and sewed the edges 1" apart so the tape sticks up in the middle.

LordPaulet

Kathleen,
We have used the tubing found at Menards that is a reddish orange color (stiff and small diameter-less than 1/2 inch) and it holds out 7 yards of velvet overskirt and Forpart.  infact its so stiff it doesnt bend in doorways...you have you let one side lift to go through small doorways :D  
I swear by this stuff for heavy skirts and nice round look rather than a squished oval  look most get from hoop boning :D

Adriana Rose

Try going to Home Depot or the like and lurk in the plumbing areas, ask about radient floor heating pipes or any other thinner pipes.

I know a lady that did costuming for the local ballet troupe she used hula hoops ( she split them open to take the rattely thingies out)

Cable ties ROCK. they hold like steel but have some flex if you need it
I like the ones that can hold up to 175 lbs they are black and come in packs of 2, the only bad thing is that they are bent so you have to straighten them. I cut them and sanded the sharp edges into rounded things and then they went under my laptop to straighten out. ( its warm under it so that helped alot!)

Miranda

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on November 24, 2009, 08:43:40 PM

I really like the plastic coated wire rope from home depot (I believe it is 3/16 inches in diameter), as a substitute for hoop boning.  My polytubing farthingale didn't hold up as well as I would have liked.  I'm on my third season with the wire rope one, and its still going strong.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.