News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

CD's Obsolete?

Started by robin35051, December 01, 2009, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier Half-Wit

Can someone give me a home stereo system or car stereo that plays MP3s from either USB drive or SD memory card? They don't scratch and they are so much smaller than CDs.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

insidiousraven

I haven't bought a CD in at least eight years.  If I can't find it online (that's very rare) then I find something else to listen to.

Auryn

I actually just bought a cd last week.
I bought it online and was very excited to open the little box that I found in my mail box
and even more excited to get to look at the art work and leaf through the liner notes as I listened to the cd on my balcony.

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Poldugarian Warrior

Auryn is right, when you download music, you don't get the album art, and other goodies that come with cds. I was at a garage sale about a decade ago, and I had the chance to buy a box of albums for $5 and there were alot in it, but I sifted through and chose the few I wanted they were askign liek anikle or dime a piece, but I figured I don't need all those. Later I kicked myself, and my aunt told me I should've bought them just for the album art. And the worst part was they were old sixties band I'd never heard of but when I named them off my uncle said I passed up a bunch of good psychedelic music, and I love that stuff now, that I know what I missed. So I agree with the production of cds and the material that goes with it.

naetuir

There are always going to be people on both sides of the fence, IMO. Personally, I'm far more interested in the music than the art in the jacket. Some of it is neat, but at the end of the day, I buy the music for the music. I don't buy CD's unless I can't take delivery of the music in any other form anymore.

..which is to say, I purchased two CDs at MNRF last weekend.

Rowan MacD

It all comes down to what you are  going to use the music for, really. 
  I like the fact I can go online and download just the good songs, but I really like the idea of burning a CD of my purchases, in case the drive takes a shine. 
   I know from experience that Ipods are prone to a few issues, as are any MP3 player and computer.  I would just as soon be able to back my downloads up on hard media than trust my entire library of tunes to loss or accident, which would be the case if you stored them on your computer or a player.  Of course the site would be more than happy to sell you all those songs again should the unthinkable happen. 
  Personally, I'm too much of a tightwad to shell out good money for stuff I already bought once, thus I need CD's.  As for storing them in Itunes, etc. as a 'permanent' backup file,  I tend to run to the paranoid there.  It wouldn't take much of a jump for Itunes to start charging people a fee to store their libraries for longer than, say, a month or two, especially if the files are huge.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dracconia

It sounds like it's spilt 50/50....so why not have both available?

That way people who want the cd can buy the CD and those that want to download or don't have the funds on hand can download them at a later date....

If it isn't too expensive to do both...go for it....that way all of your bases are covered...just my 2 cents
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Rapier Half-Wit

I agree with Rowen; If the PC goes POOF my music will still be safe on their discs. I don't play the originals once I have them ripped (at very high bit rate =>320) to my PC. That saves the originals from regular wear and tear, and I can play anything I own as I sit here at my PC. And for when I am driving, I play the discs that I have burned myself.

Now if some enterprising music company wants to sell me 640 bit mp3's on SD card, I would consider it.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Dance_Dance

Quote from: Rapier Half-Wit on September 02, 2010, 11:03:14 PM
I agree with Rowen; If the PC goes POOF my music will still be safe on their discs. I don't play the originals once I have them ripped (at very high bit rate =>320) to my PC. That saves the originals from regular wear and tear, and I can play anything I own as I sit here at my PC. And for when I am driving, I play the discs that I have burned myself.

Now if some enterprising music company wants to sell me 640 bit mp3's on SD card, I would consider it.

I'm with you guys.  I buy CDs usually for the main purpose of having a physical back-up.  I load the music onto my computer and have it on my mp3 player but there's been at least two times that I've had to wipe my hard drive and then find out afterwards that I didn't save all of my music! T_T Any music I by over the internet, as well, gets copied to a CD.

Poldugarian Warrior

Yeah, physical back-ups are good. I still like old cameras, as well even though film and processing can be expensive, as opposed to digital, which I do have. you can still view the pics, but if you loose electricity or the computer, you can't look at them.