News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

what would you want as a gift??

Started by Auryn, December 02, 2009, 09:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

Quote from: meauho on December 03, 2009, 04:40:34 PM
All that having been said, I would highly recommend an embroidery machine that you can attach to a computer, upload an image, and have the machine do all the time consuming work is great (I use hers several times a month).  I know that there is a Singer that will do it for less than a grand (you provide the computer). 

I would LOVE to have an embroidery machine but can't justify the high price.  I have seen several less expensive models (~$1000) for sale on eBay for much less (~$200-$400) as the seller has upgraded.  Can you (or anyone) make recommendations on a cheaper but still versatile embroidery machine?  I would like to import my own designs.  Yes, I can provide the computer. ;D  Thanks!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

VIII

How about a grommet setting device for multiple size grommets?  A heavy-duty cutter for metal boning?
Any kind of tool for making garments that you wouldn't necessarily think of to buy for yourself.

My wife has a tool set to rival my own!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

GirlChris

Call me strange, but I want a projector- the kind you can put over a book and blow up the image on the wall. I would put this over the teeny tiny cutting diagrams I have in my books, and make nice big full size cutting diagram. Then I would trace these onto paper, and I would have patterns. Hooray!

meauho

I cant really help with the low end machines. 
We have a 20 head that cost almost as much as the embroidery equipment.

It all gets paid for by turning a hobby into a business.
"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common."

Aunty Lou

Me, I long for a good three-drawer filing cabinet for the patterns, a roll of brown craft paper, a garment steamer, a set of pressing rolls (sleeve, ham, pants & velvet board), shelving, and maybe some large, clear plastic bins to store the stash....

Lady L

GirlChris, I have one of those projectors, but I don't think it's accurate enough to make patterns from. You could get close, but it would still need to be adjusted.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Hoowil

Quote from: Dinobabe on December 02, 2009, 12:12:57 PM
My mom had the same response.  I, too, was using an extra table for sewing so I asked for a sewing table.  She got me this from Wally World!  It folds in to be smaller.  Picked it up yesterday but haven't put it together.  I can't wait! ;D

http://www.walmart.com/Sauder-Sewing-Craft-Table/ip/1984564

I have that very same table! I actually had it for probably two years before I used it. I kept it folded down in a corner and would haul out the card tables to sew until this season, when my wife told me I was silly, and had me pull out the actual sewing table. I love it now, its actually pretty long, giving you lots of space to cut, in my case, even with the maching still set up on one end.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Dinobabe

Quote from: Hoowil on December 04, 2009, 09:19:01 PM
Quote from: Dinobabe on December 02, 2009, 12:12:57 PM
My mom had the same response.  I, too, was using an extra table for sewing so I asked for a sewing table.  She got me this from Wally World!  It folds in to be smaller.  Picked it up yesterday but haven't put it together.  I can't wait! ;D

http://www.walmart.com/Sauder-Sewing-Craft-Table/ip/1984564

I have that very same table! I actually had it for probably two years before I used it. I kept it folded down in a corner and would haul out the card tables to sew until this season, when my wife told me I was silly, and had me pull out the actual sewing table. I love it now, its actually pretty long, giving you lots of space to cut, in my case, even with the maching still set up on one end.

Good to know.  Thanks!
(Still haven't put it together!) ::)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Cilean

Quote from: Dinobabe on December 03, 2009, 04:54:46 PM
Can you (or anyone) make recommendations on a cheaper but still versatile embroidery machine?  I would like to import my own designs.  Yes, I can provide the computer.

Okay so, you are not thinking outside the box. getting what you want you have to work at it, I have the Designer SE and I worked hard to attain this, but I learned something huge while achieving this.  It is the PROGRAM not the machine, you can have a lower level machine, so you DON'T need to purchase the most expensive to gain a really good look.

Okay the Programs are expensive, as much as $2,500.00.

So how does one get past this? One has to do a lot of research, get to know your dealers and figure out which one of the machines 'fits' your world. I love my Husky however my friend's admire Pfaff more and another are Bernina or nothing.  Research where Sewing Expos and Trade Shows are happening and which dealers are going to those, guess what? Those machines they have up for demos? They must sell as used and so a brand machine with less than 20 hours will be at least 1/2 price.  Many places will allow you to have 6 months or more for layaway.  So now you have a machine on layaway that is 1/2 price, now you can make this happen. 

Please though and I might be speaking out of turn but Do not buy a machine for what you are doing today, buy a machine you will be using in 5 to 10 years.  Why? Because you don't buy a machine every year (and if you do? I am jealous) why limit your creativity?

And yes I use my Embroidery Machine almost everyday, when I go to Holiday parties, I make hand towels for gifts to the Host/ess in their colors with their initials it takes a whole whopping 10 minutes and people will remember your efforts.  I make embroider bags for the SCA and I make towels for weddings.  I make trim for some people and I can do blackwork!!!  My Machine is always in use, and I kept thinking before I had an Embroidery Machine, what would I use it for? Now? I use it for every single thing I can think of!

So yep you can and should have an Embroidery Unit, yes it would be awesome and yes it can be affordable, and yes you deserve it.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Dinobabe

Wow, Cilean!  Thank you for the insight.  You gave me a very different way of approaching this.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

I agree, Cilean--FANTASTIC post!  I just got a nice bonus from work, and have been giving *serious* thought about an embroidery machine.  It's a whole different animal from sewing machines, though--I *know* what I want/need a SM to do!  I'm not even sure where to start looking at embroidery machines (although I'm pretty sure I won't be needing/wanting/getting the $2500 software!  :o), but I think this is one time I might be tempted by a used model.

(But this is a topic for another thread!)

Auryn

You guys are fantastic,
I knew I couldn't be the only one in this boat.
I wholeheartedly agree that thats an awesome post Cilean, I never even thought I could use an embroidery machine until I read that, you are such a pusher and enabler  ;). Say can I make trim with an embroidery machine?? hehehe

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Tixi

I wholeheartedly approve the Simflex gauge recommendation - it's the best gift that no one knows they want.