News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Your favorite Ren Faire moment

Started by aidenoffairfax, May 27, 2008, 08:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidenoffairfax

Ok, so I know we all have stories about our favorite moments from faire, so I figured I would at least start this topic again...

I had a great one this past weekend. One of our vendors sells Licorice root dipped in peppermint (great for the teeth and to keep your breath fresh.) The best part is that they look like sticks. So, I walk around chewing on a stick for the majority of the day. I was walking past the poppets glade, and a father and son walked past me... I bowed to the kid because he had just been knighted, and he gave me the funniest look I have ever seen. Instead of asking about what it was or saying anything, the father and son just walked away.  As they walked away, I heard the father say "Yes son, some people just like to eat sticks." I just about fell down laughing and almost spit out my stick. It was classic!

So... your stories? Good, bad, funny, serious, etc. I know you have them. I want to hear them!
Please go ahead and clear your throats... the hack has arrived!

lowlandscot

Well, I'm not sure this will live on as "favorite faire moment" but it's a keeper from this weekend just past. I got my first audience drunks. They were not loud belligerent obnoxious drunks, they were weepy maudlin sappy sentimental drunks. Mischievously and perhaps just a tiny bit malicioiusly, I played "Carolan's Dream" which is the absolute saddest sounding, most ethereal Irish air I know. The woman approached the stage (this was at the Woodland), put her forehead down on the plywood, and when I finished the song she looked up at me (her face is maybe a yard from my feet) and wailed "GOD JUST SPOKE TO ME THROUGH YOU!!!!"

I managed to get back to the prop tent before I allowed the laughter to burst out. It was very hard.

reese

WOW, those are great, needed that laugh as I'm still quite not with it today.

As for moments...well I have so many I can't pick just one.

From this weekend, lands what a rollercoaster type weekend, I really enjoyed EVERYONE!! 

Funnies from this weekend that I caught:

Unfortunately, for once my camera was put away so I missed documentation of this...during Ned Allyn's Jack and Beanstalk show the harp literally got carried away.  Talk about unexpected and way too funny.  I'm also glad that no harm came to her, although she seemed rather stunned.  Speaking of Ned Allyn's show...last year when he put the 3 piggies show on for the queen, he chose three little boys (one being mine) and a grand acting wolf.  At the end, the 3 boys did "attack" the wolf climbing all over him.  That was by far the BEST I've seen yet, you just can not control improved storytelling with 3 little boys. 

Yesterday Master Pate did story telling in Poppets, I still laugh at the image of him walking and clucking like a chicken.  I got it on video, beyond funny, he makes me smile and laugh anyway, but that was way funny.

Here are some boasting momma moments:  When my youngest was doing his "masks" for the Queen Sunday, bless her, I think the best moment was with the 3rd mask in a row (it was a quiet slow moment), his story had yet another issue with Spanish.  He did say, "This will be the last we speak of the Spanish this day Your Grace", I about fell over.  In this mask he did portray a Yeoman of the Guard, and he even went and stood in place of YoG with this stoic face (surly he must be imitating Yeoman Rob, whom he adores).  As for my girly-girl, what a perfect noble child she portrays, in attitude and expression...she needs to learn to turn it off once the clothes come off though LOL.  As always I'm proud of my oldest, he does work very hard to do a good job, and remembering our fallen Vets as he and our other Yeoman, the Militia and the Sgt. Trumpeter (please if I screwed that up, forgive me and just nicely correct me)  was exceptionally touching.

Other outstanding moments for this year so far:

Well DUH, Tom's proposal to Heather..OMG that was awesome and by the grace and guidance from the stars above, I got it on video.  I really wasn't going to video his next story, my arm and hand was tired from taping the previous stories from Victor and Master Pate, yet something in me urged me to get it back out and start taping.  I'm so glad I listened. 

Pirates for Sail singing for The Queen, they are soooo awesome, and it was so very VERY touching.

lordwriothsley

I can't believe i missed Tom's proposal to Heather. I so wanted to be there for that but I was living on cloud nine this past weekend as I had the opprotunity to travel with hither,dither,and yon to the Tennessee Rennaisance Faire as visiting cast. I had the best time of my life up there working with their court.However someone is going to have to fill me in on the proposal so i can wish the happy a long and happy life together.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

aidenoffairfax

Yeah, the proposal was absolutely amazing. Beautifully done, and a great story... I love the fact that she had absolutely no idea. He just put it in as part of the story. Beautiful. Amazing. I don't think there was a dry eye in the place. Beautifully done.

lordwriothsley

well i will definetly be back at VARF this weekend and trust me i'm sure that either tom or heather or maybe darren will fill me in on all the details.Please tell me though that heather said yes.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

aidenoffairfax

Absolutely said yes. I don't know how anyone could have said no.

lordwriothsley

they make a great couple don't they.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

aidenoffairfax

Absolutely... beautiful couple. I had no idea they were even a couple until last weekend. I will give him a TON of props for such a beautiful proposal.

Master James

Well unfortunately I missed that proposal because I was dealing with something else at the time and got back in the area in time to see a huge crowd and large HUZZAH!  Drat!  Well my favorite memory to date was the end of season last year.  Pat (our Queen Elizabeth) began knighting our court and giving favors and started with my wife.  I was part of the sword canopy for it and that was really special but then I had to run and go do the last fight for the day.  Well when I got back, she had continued doing everyone and I was the last one to be done.  By then the emotions were running really high and Pat had been crying a lot doing these knightings and was barely holding it together when she started my knighting.  It was really hard to not lose it and it brings tears to my eyes now just thinking about the whole ceremony because it was the full on knighting ceremony with all the pomp and it really meant a lot to me.  I wear that favor she gave me to this day and it will ALWAYS be on me when I wear my nobles garb.  It was trully amazing because I know it was from her heart that she was doing this and it will always be my most special moment at VARF.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Lady Aldyth

Quote from: Master James on May 27, 2008, 03:01:38 PM
Well unfortunately I missed that proposal because I was dealing with something else at the time and got back in the area in time to see a huge crowd and large HUZZAH!  Drat!  Well my favorite memory to date was the end of season last year.  Pat (our Queen Elizabeth) began knighting our court and giving favors and started with my wife.  I was part of the sword canopy for it and that was really special but then I had to run and go do the last fight for the day.  Well when I got back, she had continued doing everyone and I was the last one to be done.  By then the emotions were running really high and Pat had been crying a lot doing these knightings and was barely holding it together when she started my knighting.  It was really hard to not lose it and it brings tears to my eyes now just thinking about the whole ceremony because it was the full on knighting ceremony with all the pomp and it really meant a lot to me.  I wear that favor she gave me to this day and it will ALWAYS be on me when I wear my nobles garb.  It was trully amazing because I know it was from her heart that she was doing this and it will always be my most special moment at VARF.

I FORGOT! I HAVE PICTURES OF THAT FOR YOU!

Master James

Quote from: Lady Aldyth on May 27, 2008, 03:20:41 PM
Quote from: Master James on May 27, 2008, 03:01:38 PM

I FORGOT! I HAVE PICTURES OF THAT FOR YOU!

PLEASE SEND THEM!  Thanks!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Spanky

I've got the proposal pictures.I'll be posting them soon
Spank'n M'Crack

Feline Groovy

I've been a VARF patron/playtron since 2004 and am trying my wings at cast for the first time this year.  Tom's proposal is the best faire moment I've experienced at any faire, VARF or otherwise (my first faire was in 1989).  Magic!  And Spanky's pics caught it all beautifully.
Where was I going and how do I get there?

troubadude

Let's go back a few years, perhaps it was 1997 or 1998:   

Mary (who still plays at Bristol) was the playing Queen Elizabeth at the time, and TomLori would always try to make her laugh, I won't go into any details as I hope the Queen will allow me to perform for her . . . 

One of my most favorite moments was when Sir Walter Raleigh hired a visiting madrigal group to sing the hallelujah chorus for the Queen.  Just about half way through the 2nd chorus, in rides Master Pate on camel-back.  He rode right up to the center of the seats and with all the dignity of a Lord, he dismounted and presented flowers to the Queen.  It was impressive! 

Needless to say, Sir Raleigh wasn't very pleased, but the rest of us were sore for days from laughter! 

Tom
Troubadude :D
if music be the food of love, play on!