News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Butterick pattern--jewelry

Started by gem, June 16, 2010, 05:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

This might be interesting, Butterick 5508 (link takes you to close-up shots of each item)

[img]

I'm not sure about the actual parts/findings (which, frankly, I think are the hardest thing about jewelry--actually *finding* bits and pieces that look appropriate), but the instructions might be worth a look. I certainly haven't seen anything like this out there before.

LadyShadow

This I might have to try just for the fun of it.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Drac

I am all over this!!!

When I get a free moment or two I will have to give these a try.

Drac
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Lady Caroline

I was looking at these pics in the paterrn book at Fabricland just the other day :)  A couple of the pics look like they used some kind of ribbon/trim/lace (for lack of correct word), and stiffened it up somehow, maybe putting in on a tougher material, than trimming around it......  I couldn't spend too much time looking, so I may be wrong........ But I thought it was genius!  Naturally my fabricland didn't have any trim that looked like that, but I'm sure bigger and better stores may.

Aiacha

That's actually very interesting; I may have to pick that up.  Well, two of them...one for a friend of mine.

Pinn

Looks like a shopping excursion will be happening soon for me. I want, I want, I want.
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

wyckdblyss

OOOO...I feel a new project coming on!  ;D
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

gem

Lady Caroline, judging from the supplies list, I think that's exactly what they did. It looks like every project calls for flat metallic lace, and heavy/craft-weight interfacing is also listed.  Having used trim in place of metal/chain/whatever for jewelry in the past, I have to say that the effect is not entirely satisfactory, but I'm still interested in a closer look at the pattern.

DonaCatalina

The findings are the bugabear. That's why Sapphire and Sage can charge what they do, because the actual metal pieces are nearly impossible to find.
I buy a lot of costume jewelry from China on ebay and disassemble it for the components and reassemble it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

PrincessSara

Quote from: DonaCatalina on June 17, 2010, 10:49:36 AM
The findings are the bugabear. That's why Sapphire and Sage can charge what they do, because the actual metal pieces are nearly impossible to find.
I buy a lot of costume jewelry from China on ebay and disassemble it for the components and reassemble it.

How do you find the jewelry?  I can search for hours on eBay and never find anything.

operafantomet

Quote from: Lady Caroline on June 17, 2010, 06:39:03 AM
I was looking at these pics in the paterrn book at Fabricland just the other day :)  A couple of the pics look like they used some kind of ribbon/trim/lace (for lack of correct word), and stiffened it up somehow, maybe putting in on a tougher material, than trimming around it......  I couldn't spend too much time looking, so I may be wrong........ But I thought it was genius!  Naturally my fabricland didn't have any trim that looked like that, but I'm sure bigger and better stores may.
I've done that/something similar for "Phantom of the Opera" costumes, and the effect is really good. It looks like 3D gold (especially if metal threads and/or sequins are involved), but it's merely gold ribbon on a black base. Examples here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/elissa/hnblfronten.jpg
http://aneafiles.webs.com/slavegirl.html

DonaCatalina

Quote from: PrincessSara on June 17, 2010, 04:04:24 PM
Quote from: DonaCatalina on June 17, 2010, 10:49:36 AM

How do you find the jewelry?  I can search for hours on eBay and never find anything.

Search "gold chain fashion belt located in china" or "gold tone earrings with pearl drops located in china"
sometimes it takes awhile to accumulate what you need.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess