News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Boot and shoe resources for men

Started by Just Randall, December 08, 2009, 06:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Randall

Moderators Note:
RF.com does not endorse or promote any particular merchants. Please, do your research and buy at your own risk.

This thread is meant to be a resource guide for boots and shoes for men for Renaissance and re-enactments, for all price ranges.
This thread is NOT meant to promote any one product over another, nor is it meant as an open forum to rant about how bad someone's product is. What may have been a bad experience for you, may have been an exellent experience for another.

If you come across a new source for ren-type shoes or boots, or ones that may be altered for such use, please add that link so that we may have as comprehensive a list as possible.
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

Just Randall

Squire Mickey

Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

TKM

Hey, good idea, fletcher. I might take the sites that are exclusively boots off my garb resource list and let you just list them here.

for example, this one http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/

Just Randall

Well, that's kinda why I did it, so that anyone, especially the newbies, could look in just one place instead of 5-10 different threads.

Big thanks to Trillium for making this a sticky.

Craigmeister

I'm looking for the piece that I can slide down over the top of shoes that has laces to make it look like I'm wearing boots.  It's made out of leather or at least it looks like it is.  I don't know exactly what to call it or where to find it.  Can anyone help me w/ this?
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Craigmeister on December 18, 2009, 03:21:48 PM
I'm looking for the piece that I can slide down over the top of shoes that has laces to make it look like I'm wearing boots.  It's made out of leather or at least it looks like it is.  I don't know exactly what to call it or where to find it.  Can anyone help me w/ this?

I think what you are trying to describe are gaiters. They are similar to spats as well. They can lace up or buckle up either in the front of the back.

I have made them both ways. Usually I use buckskin as it is supple but tough. As a rule, I like to use buckles or buttons on the side, but the last ones I did laced up the back for our ranger garb. Like these?:

Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Craigmeister

That's what I'm looking for.  The word "spats" came to me last night.  I've seen some that look like they have shoelaces on them but I don't know where to buy any.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Craigmeister on December 20, 2009, 01:05:18 AM
That's what I'm looking for.  The word "spats" came to me last night.  I've seen some that look like they have shoelaces on them but I don't know where to buy any.

Well, I made ours for our ranger company out of deerskin. PM me if you would like more info.
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Just Randall

Now I'm really glad I did this. I had to re-load my OS and lost ALL my links on my PC.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I just bought the most wonderful, comfortable shoes at BARF this weekend from Heart & Sole.  They were a pair of unisex ghillies.  The price was $58, which is way cheaper than the $70 my husband paid for his at Bristol last summer.  They have women's shoes, men's shoes, and gorgeous boots.

They don't have a website yet, but one of the partners is Lady Nicolette, a member of this forum.  If you renmail her, she can let you know what faires they will be at and also more info about the styles of their shoes and boots.

Keith, the other partner, spends a lot of time with you to make sure you get a correct and comfortable fit.  I have the worst feet in the world, hammer toes, bunions, planter fasciatis, inflamed tendons and usually wear orthotics and limp.  I put these shoes on, walked out of the shop, and wore them for 2 days straight at faire.

You can't beat the prices and excellent customer service.

Also posted in the women's section.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

angusmacinnes

I am picking up my boots this Saturday from http://www.mysticsoles.com They are in Wimberley,TX and not too far from Sherwood Forest Faire.  So will get more bang for my drive this weekend.  ;D
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Lady Nicolette

We're so happy you enjoy your shoes, Renee!  Keith is actually also a forum member although he works so hard making shoes he's not in here frequently...His forum name is willin here and he is a moderator of a couple of areas hereabouts...

We will now be known at most faires as Dream Shoes and will have a website up soon.

Also posted in the women's section...
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine