News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Boot and shoe resources for men

Started by Just Randall, December 08, 2009, 06:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch

Quote from: Maithu Ruadh on April 18, 2012, 10:48:58 PM
^ Were they the latchet shoes? I saw they had some on their site that look pretty nice!
Maithu, not the latchet.  We got 3 different styles, and all 3 were outstanding.  We got 3-lace Shoe MIL435, Tudor shoes-leather WSC065, and Mary Rose shoes-Leather WSC175.  We dyed the Mary Rose shoes black, and they seem to be holding the dye quite well.  The Tudor shoes are straight lasted, and there is no right or left shoe.  Have not walked around in them for any length of time yet, so not sure how comfortable they are.
Good luck on your own purchase!

Otwell Throckmorton

I want these boots... or at least something quite similar to it!

anyone know where I may be able to get them?
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"
"Beware the barrenness of a busy life"
- Socrates

Norfolk

The boots in the photo appear to be from Native Earth.  Here's your link:
http://www.nativearth.net/boot.html

I've worn a pair of Native Earth 5-button boots for the past six years.  They are very comfortable, extremely durable, and I recommend them highly.  The owners of Native Earth, Jim and Lee Ann are two of the most splendid people I know.  Rest assured that if there is a problem with one of their boots, they will make it right.

You can order on line, but if at all possible I think you would be much better served by buying them from one of their shops in order to get the perfect fit.  A list of their shows can be found here:
http://www.nativearth.net/events.html

Good luck!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Otwell Throckmorton

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"
"Beware the barrenness of a busy life"
- Socrates

Maithu Ruadh

Does anyone know of a good source for accurate hobnails for latchet and buckle shoes? Everything is either modern British and German and British of the World Wars. Something small, flat and with a not very long shank?

Ser Niall

Quote from: Butch on April 17, 2012, 10:02:01 PM
Recently bought some shoes from garbtheworld.com Great prices, and great quality shoes!

I second this recommendation.  I just purchased two pairs from their store.  The Medieval Boot w/Buckles MIL427, and the 14th Century Lace Shoe MIL422.  Both pairs look very nice and authentic, and the soles feel sturdy.  They're comfy without an insole, but I'll probably put one in due to being on my feet all day at the faire.  For a little over $100 wish shipping, these were a really good deal.

I also want to mention garbtheworld's customer service, which was excellent.  They responded very quickly to all of my questions.  They also refunded part of my shipping since it was cheaper than what they charged.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Butch

Maithu, sorry it took so long to respond!  I have used "cut tacks" from the hardware store for hobnails.  They are small and have a short shank.  They work great!  They truly make your soles last longer!  But beware of how you walk on stone or tile; you will slide!

Maithu Ruadh

I wore my Garb the World latchet shoes to the Carolina Renaissance Faire this past weekend and they felt great (of course, with two pairs of long stockings and gel inserts). Despite not having hobbed them quite yet, the leather soles took hardly any wear except for some dirt ... and this was on wet grass, damp dirt, rocks and gravel. Plus they make that awesine hard-leather stomp sound on wooden surfaces. I definitely recommend them!

Elkyn

Does anyone know for sure if Minnetonka has completely discontinued their line of suede knee-high side lacing boots? I have a pair I've been wearing for 10+ years now and they are beginning to show real signs of fatigue. I wanted to look into replacing them, but everywhere I go on the web for them seems to indicate they are no longer available. Any suggestions for a worthy (but affordable, for me) replacement?

Hoyden

I have not seen http://www.catskill-moc.com listed.  I have an amazing pair of 5-button boots from them. It is hard to beat something that is custom made, especially if you have bad feet like I do.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Elkyn on May 10, 2013, 12:16:19 PM
Does anyone know for sure if Minnetonka has completely discontinued their line of suede knee-high side lacing boots? I have a pair I've been wearing for 10+ years now and they are beginning to show real signs of fatigue. I wanted to look into replacing them, but everywhere I go on the web for them seems to indicate they are no longer available. Any suggestions for a worthy (but affordable, for me) replacement?
These are still on their website
http://www.minnetonkamoccasin.com/Products/Detail/front-laced-hard-sole-knee-hi-boot-mens
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess