News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Archer/Scout Garb

Started by Squire Mickey, December 09, 2009, 11:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squire Mickey

I wanted to do a more scout, archer type of persona. Someone who is a hunter and a fighter. Kind of a fantasy creation.

I am a little unsure about what type of head piece/head covering to make for this persona. Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, I want to get a pair of woodland hunter boots. Here I am wearing my Captain Barbosa CA boots with the bells pulled up.

Everything else though, I made from scratch (only exeptions - Pants are Museum Replicas and the Cloak is from Twin Roses Design)

Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Auryn

Awesome,
love the pipe in your hand.

I need new boots too. I have resorted to making my own since I can't find any that I like.

The bow looks great, is it a usable bow or just for looks??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Squire Mickey

No it is indeed usable. It is a red oak bow with a linen back. It has a 49 lb pull at 27" (my draw length). I have a flemish string, but prefer an 11 strand string that is in the pictures.

I finished it myself with red oak minwax stain and about 7 coats of poly, The wrap is made of tan deerskin with sinew used for the stitching,

Unfortunately the last 2 fairs that I took it to would not let me shoot it at their range.

BARF is going to be having a longbow competition this season though. I am making my own arrows for that with needle bodkin points. I also have the man who made all the bows and the arrows for the film Born of Hope, making us arrows for the Ranger costumes as well. www.bornofhope.com
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Auryn on December 09, 2009, 11:31:34 AM
Awesome,
love the pipe in your hand.

I need new boots too. I have resorted to making my own since I can't find any that I like.

The bow looks great, is it a usable bow or just for looks??

BTW, here are the pair of boots that I made to go with this look. They are made from green and brown deerskin. I made a sole out of heavy gauge latigo veg tan (13oz).

Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

TheMightyMcClaw

That's a really awesome costume. Congrats.
What are your current pants made of? If you do leatherworking, a pair of buckskin pants  would be pretty sweet for the whole hunter/ranger look.
Regarding the head piece, the cloth cap isn't a bad way to go, but I'd recommend getting something more textured. The flat black seems a little bit out of place with the rest of the outfit. If there was something you could get that was, say, reminiscent of both celtic knotwork and contemporary camouflage print, that seems like it would be ideal.
Also, does your cloak have a hood? Because the hood drawn up over the head is a classic piece of the woodsman look to me.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: TheMightyMcClaw on December 09, 2009, 05:22:18 PM
That's a really awesome costume. Congrats.
What are your current pants made of? If you do leatherworking, a pair of buckskin pants  would be pretty sweet for the whole hunter/ranger look.
Regarding the head piece, the cloth cap isn't a bad way to go, but I'd recommend getting something more textured. The flat black seems a little bit out of place with the rest of the outfit. If there was something you could get that was, say, reminiscent of both celtic knotwork and contemporary camouflage print, that seems like it would be ideal.
Also, does your cloak have a hood? Because the hood drawn up over the head is a classic piece of the woodsman look to me.

Right now they are the Locksley pants from Museum Replicas. I have looked into making buckskins but the leather alone would cost nearly $200. Also since our fair is in Florida, I think I would melt !
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Auryn

Ya I had the same problem with pants, you really can't do leather down here, its just too dang warm even in Feb.

I like the boots, what do they look like when you have them on??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec