News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Male Fae Character

Started by FiddleStix, December 15, 2009, 04:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleStix

Hi all,

This year will be my first working as a Character at a Ren Faire, and I find myself having trouble with Two main things.

1. Obviously, some people may have some judgmental views, or reservations when they first Come Across a Male Pixie. I am trying to figure out how I can be This Mythical Creature, But stay away from the Tinkerbell-ish, girlie preconceptions of the role, so that I can convey to Patrons, that this Role is Suited to both Guys and Gals. I have found only a few traits that I might be able to include into my Characters Personality to make him seem more Rough and tough, but still keep the Pixie-ish nature of the Role, and wanting to keep a high energy characteristic to him (Sorta like a little Kid on a Major Sugar rush)....This includes Mannerisms and body movement, Facial Expressions (The Character does not speak at all, but rather uses his Fiddle to Speak), Basic Interaction with Other People and the Environment and so on.

Basically, I am looking for, and asking you fine people, for any Idea's that I may have overlooked, that will help me convey to other people who my Character is, and What he is About....And Help the Suspension of Disbelief. I know there is one special Characteristic out there that will help me get less funny looks, once I am In Character, but I just cant seem to find it.

2. I was trying to think up things I could Carry on my person, and use to interact with myself and with others, In Layman's terms...Props.  I know that Fae usually Like Shiny stuff, and are big Collectors, but Im trying to think of What Practical "Thing" I could have hanging off my belt to use in a Skit/Comedic Situation, and I cant, for the life of me, figure it out....

Thanks for any Advice you could offer this Noobish Fiddling Pixie named Fiddlestix.  ;)

McGuinness

I think the obvious inspiration that comes to mind for me is Puck from Midsummer Night's Dream - kind of a mischevious prankster type. He is normally portrayed kind of woodsy and the character's "center" is usually kind of low instead high and prancy like the female fairy characters.

As far as props - what about different types and sizes of fiddles and string instruments? This time of year would be a good time to look! Maybe try looking in craft and Christmas stores for different Christmas ornaments of fiddles, guitars, lutes, and other instruments to hang about your person.

I think I'd picture the character you are describing in more a brown/tan color scheme (the color of wooden fiddles and the like) rather than girlie, sparkly colors. I've seen a lot of Venetian style masks with musical notes and scales on them that would probably work if you wanted to go that directions (I think Renstore or Tudor Shop had them online, I forget which one offhand right now).

Good luck and have fun with it!

FiddleStix

I had Drawn out a Concept of the costume I plan on making. Its heavy greens and muted greens, with specks of Muted Browns and muted oranges.

No mask, but will sport a wreath with lots of twigs and some orange/brown/green foliage. I have pixie-ish looking Coat and Pants left over from when I actually played a Fae Character that played the fiddle in my colleges Production of Midsummer Nights Dream, which is where I created the Name and the Character of Fiddlestix, and I guess he just kinda has migrated to Ren Faires now, which is where I will keep him.

I figured I would go all out and have wings, which are gonna be based off of Twigs, since I like the Cellophane Look. She actually Inspired me to bring Fiddlestix to my Ren Faire, and influenced alot of how my costume is gonna look. Not attempting to copy her, but more like Creating a Male Homage Version to her. As for his background, I wouldn't officially Claim this without her permission otherwise, But I sometimes Jokingly State that FiddleStix is Twigs Annoying, Mischievious, Charming, Kind, Fiddle playing, Long Lost Brother ^.^  All the Fae are one big family though if you actually think about it! Lots of Sisters, and Some brothers XD

Barret

I think Colleen had it right when she said that male fae characters tend to be a little more mischievous. This is certainly how I picture them, not in any evil kind of way, but just in a fun loving sense. It is almost as if they are trying to get the rest of the world to lighten up a little bit, and while female fae characters do this by dancing and singing, the males tend to like to get people to play games with them. For some reason I picture male fae characters being fond of taking trinkets from people and making them answer riddles or catch them to get their trinket back, perhaps hiding the trinket it somewhere and making the person go on a scavenger hunt to find it. I am certainly not an expert of the topic, but that is just what comes to mind when I think of male Fae characters.

LadyElizabeth

My twin and I play pixies often and we talk constantly, giggle all the time, very silly, and quite mischevious indeed!  From there, I'd say a good addition to your garb would be a small wooden cross bow.  You can shoot marshmallows or small triffles at folks.  It is a great use of time actually!  There are also some fun wooden toys you could carry, like the ball on a string and cup or a yo yo or something like that. 

I agree with no sparkly things.  FAIRIES like sparly things.  Pixies aren't necessarily as into them.  Fauns are also not as necessarily into them I'd say.  It just seems girlie to me.

Good luck, post pics to let us know how it all turns out!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

FiddleStix

I figured I would Upload a Few Pictures of Fiddlestix from my Colleges Production of A Midsummer Nights Dream.

The Costume looks nothing like its going too when Im done with it. I believe the only thing Im keeping is the Coat, Which i have Since Cut up to make it look more Ragged, and The Pants as Well. I will get a scan of the Concept Drawing I made Sometime soon.

I am getting Rid of that White shirt because I hate it with a Passion. There isnt going to be any white in my Updated costume.

TheMightyMcClaw

I accidentally created a male faerie persona, once.
It was at the GV ren faire, which is held quite late in the year and is, resultingly, extremely cold. After being in a shirt of chainmail for four or five hours, I was nigh-hypothermic and decided to put my jacket back on.
I was working a booth there along with a girl who sold hats, and another who sold faerie wings. They put each of these items on me, and....

The Metal Faerie was born.
Not exactly a period costume, but it allowed me to run around with the Pumpkin Faerie and the Cannibal Faerie who was trying to cook her for the rest of the faire.
So yeah. Male faeries can happen, and without the slightest compromise of masculine identity. I've done it.
I dig the facepaint, by the way. It's very well done.

LadyElizabeth

Love what you did with the vines around the violin and your arms!!  That looks grand!  Maybe adding leaf designs on your new garb would be great too!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Red the pirate

FiddleStix

Thanks :) Those exact Vines wont make it into the final Costume...They are just a bit too fake and a Hassle to deal with. But Im sure ill figure something out.

FiddleStix

Here is the Concept I did of The new and (IMO) Improved Version of the Garb. This includes the Wreath, Wings, and Shirt and Belt.

LadyElizabeth

That's awesome!  It should be perfect!  I still liked the vines, but that is just me.  Maybe you'll put vines in your wreath? 
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Red the pirate

Imestra

The Concept, FiddleStyx, is far superior to the stage version.
May I suggest the the sleeves echo the tunic hem? 
I see leaves and woods, and add some black, always a masculine color accent.
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

FiddleStix

Yea I was thinking about Cutting the Bell Sleeves up just a little. There are also a few little details I left out. Some stuff thats gonna go around my neck and hang down infront of me....A Belt I made, and I suppose I could use the vines on the Violin. Would have to play around with it :)

Trillium

YAY!!!  another male fae!!  Tis a wonderful thing and in short supply!  I love your ideas.  One thing that came to my mind was perhaps an unusual hat, I kinda pictured a floppy pointed hat, almost cornucopia shaped..., a little on the small side so you can still wear the wreath.  Also maybe a small dagger at your side.  Keep the look very natural and woodsy. 

I will give you the same warning I've given many others when it comes wings.  Be very careful about making larger wings, they can become extremely difficult to manuever in crowds.

We must see pics when you are done!
Got faerie dust?

FiddleStix

For sureeee. Not sure about the hat. hats dont work on me lol....im not sure about the small dagger either, id have to ask to be able to carry a weapon.

I did think about the wing size, but i think Id be comfortable with the size in the picture. The bigger the wings the smaller I look. If that makes any sense. I move around alot while playing the Fiddle as well, so I plan to avoid the larger crowds.