News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ruffler foot - HELP!

Started by Taffy Saltwater, December 19, 2009, 03:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taffy Saltwater

Glub! Glub! Glub! is the sound of me drowning under a bazillion yards of ruffles.  To the best of my knowledge everything is put together right, the fabric is going in right, it's actually making ruffles.  What it's also making is a big snarl of thread on the back side and gumming up the works.  I've tried adjusting the tension, removing & replacing the thread, bobbin & foot, to no avail.  I'm thisclose to a migraine from dealing with this from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 this afternoon. 

Does anyone have any bright ideas?  Thanks!
Sveethot!

Genievea Brookstone

Maybe the feed dogs need to be raised or lowered? I have never used a ruffle foot so I am not sure if that would have any affect but just an idea.
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Kate XXXXXX

First, when did you last floss your tension disks?   ;)  Take a clean microfiber lens cloth and floss between the disks.  Put in a new needle of the correct type and size for your fabric.  Then re-thread with good quality cotton or silk thread (or very good quality fuzz free poly thread for artificial fiber cloth).  Set the ruffler to the right settings, and the tension maybe a notch above normal, and sew SLOWLY!  You must not use speed with the ruffler.  Slow to moderate at best!  37.5 meters of gold poly satin frill done this way: