News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How should I pad my Dummy?

Started by Jessi, December 19, 2009, 08:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessi

I have just been given what I thought was a dressmakers dummy. On closer inspection it is a mannequin with measurements 36-24-36. My 9yo's waist is bigger than that. Now as it is I can make due with those measurements for my 2 oldest daughters, maybe pad it a little with some foam and ducktape. However, I am fluffy. Does anyone have a suggestion that would allow me to use this for myself as well as the girls?
Jessi

"Normal is not as common as you think."

gem

I'm so glad you asked this!  A couple of years ago Milord picked up what was *supposed* to be a size 8 mannequin/form... and it's a lot closer to a 2.  I've been telling myself I need to pad it so that it fits my measurements closer... but I've never gotten around to it. 

Jessi

Well, I have Googled the subject and found instructions for making a ducktape bodyform. But nothing that would make it easy for me to remove the form repeatedly, to go back and forth between sizes. I think I may just fit this one to me because I am harder to fit, being a big girl. I will save up for an adjustable one for my daughters.
Jessi

gypsylakat

has anyone made a duct tape form and cut up the back and make it velcro or buckle up?
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Imestra

Hmmm, say - do you have any foundations you would be willing to sacrifice for this cause?
What if you could dress the dummy in your size bra & girdle (if anyone still uses those things)
and pad it from there?  It might even be removable that way.
My 20 year old wedding trousseau contains a merry widow that would lend itself well to such a project, but it has no shoulder straps.  Would the waist/hips hold her up? 
Good Luck Jessi!  Be sure to post if you find a solution.
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

Aunty Lou

I think there are some previous threads regarding the duct tape dummy...  My evil twin lives in a closet, and comes out when there's a tricky bit of fitting to be done. 
     If you do a dummy, use the mannequin as a base, tape up the dt dummy at the back (More duct tape!), and stuff the area between the mannequin and the "you".  This means there could be less stuffing used.  You can then use the Emme (Movie reference!) for everyone you sew for, if they all submit to be wrapped...

Aunty Lou

OH!  Foolish Aunty Lou!  My thoughts on the changing of the dummy have changed!  The t-shirts one uses to make the dummy gets slit up the back, yes?  One could stitch the edges of said t-shirt to a whole t-shirt and stuff the space between?  Then force the stiff and fluffed "person" over the excessively small body of the mannequin, like an actor's fat suit?  No sticky edges, no extra tape, same size every time...

Merlin

There's a joke in there somewhere but i can't come up with it.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Seamus Ex Machina

Quote from: Merlin on December 20, 2009, 03:19:27 PM
There's a joke in there somewhere but i can't come up with it.

That would be ...."Keep the food and wine coming,love..and I'll stand there for hours.."
Legendary Hellraiser

gem

The pad-it-yourself dress forms come with a snug fabric cover and "parts" you slip beneath it until you get to the right shape.  I would think you should be able to do something very similar, with very-fitted clothing (you'd probably want something with zero or negative ease, like a swimsuit) and a good-fitting bra (I would not recommend an underwire for historical use, as a properly-laced corset might bend the wire), and a lot of patience.

I found a tutorial of how one woman used a fitting sloper to pad a dress form.

And this thread from a message board gives good step-by-step instructions. She recommends using a form-fitting slip to hold the padding in place.

Jessi

Aunty Lou, that idea has merit. I may try that. I am going to use some other type of tape because I have read where several people said that the ducktape gums up your pins.
Jessi

Auryn

Gotta love those measurements, sheesh.
Well this is what I did with my dummy.
It is actually a store mannequin for displaying clothing.
Mine is made out of hard foam and has a elastic jersey slip over it, so what I did was to get pillow batting and stuff it in all the right places between the foam and the jersey.

I took all my measurements and then kept adding batting to get the right measurements on the dummy. Its great because it gives the dummy a little bit more realistic "give" when I cinch up corsets or shirts.

gem's idea is great if yours doesnt have the elastic slip on it. You could get like a gymnast's leotard.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec