News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Boots for Gimli garb?

Started by gem, December 03, 2009, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Milord and I are working on a Gimli (LOTR) ensemble for him, and we're moving along quite nicely. 

Gimli has really unusual boots--very stout and squat:
boots at museum
boots on Gimli

Right now Milord is wearing a well-worn pair of tall black Minnetonka boots, which, while they don't really look much like Gimli's boots, do have an appropriate sort of ruggedness/slouchiness... but they're black.  I don't think we're interested in getting another pair in brown (or altering his current boots, which he wears with other garb), so we're looking for suggestions.

We're not really interested in making them, thanks!  I already have several links to making boot tops, so if we do go that route, we've got that covered.  I'm really looking to see if anyone has seen any commercial boots that remotely resemble Gimli's.  (And remote is ok!)  He has already refused to wear Uggs. LOL

Suggestions?

Gramercy!!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Good luck in your search, gem. I am sure you will come up with something.

I just finished watching again for the umpteenth time, the LoTR films in the Extended Edition. I cry each time Aragorn is reunited with Arwen after he is crowned King of Gondor. As well as when Frodo tells his friends that the Shire no longer holds anything for him.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX

Dinobabe

With all of the "stuff" on the boots I would get a regular pair of work boots/cowboy boots and cover them!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

Kate, that was perfect!  And we actually found some:

(They were out of Milord's size, but we'll be calling around.)  We like the neutral color and the flat sole.  They're definitely rounder and bulkier than any of his other Fair boots, and they don't scream "Mundane!!"  And, contrary to my earlier statement, Milord actually *does* want to do some embellishment.  Fortunately, it will be easy to make a pattern of the shank of the boot to make that tooled cuff, and Milord seems to have some idea for embellishing the toes....

Wish us luck, though; I know Milord has the skills and ingenuity to make anything, but I've rarely known him to actually get farther than the idea stage of a craft project.  :-\

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

With those boots, Milord will make a  wonderful Gimli.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX

DragonWing

Have you found his helm yet?  A friend posted on another site about a daggar and I was skipping through the site and found this.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~UC1384~name~Lord+Of+The+Rings%3A+Gimli%27s+Helmet.htm

Just in case you don't have it yet.
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

gem

Thanks, DW!  We have the helmet and the axe and one of the Stansborough replica Fellowship Cloaks.  I'm working on his tunic now, and he's responsible for all the leatherwork.

Here's the status of his garb so far:

The cloak, the helmet, and the hair really do a lot (KCRF is no weapons)--he was stopped repeatedly for patrons to take his photo!  But the actual *clothing* needs work.  (That green shirt is from Museum Replicas, and the shirt-tail hem and lack of a collar make me crazy.)  I think once I have the tunic made (from a nubby brown-red wool flannel) he'll look great.  It's interesting how much the hair does--I was really skeptical, since Gimli actually has a lot of *beard,* not a lot of hair... but the response Milord got from total strangers was incredible.

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

gem

He got the boots!  They've been discontinued, but when he called the store to get the product information so he could call *other* stores, they said, "Well what size do you need?  Oh, we have those in stock--we'll hold them for you!"  Turns out they run big (per online reviews and Milord's experience), so he actually bought a half size down.

One more piece in place; huzzah!!

Kate XXXXXX

These boots were made for stompin'...

Yay the boots!

DragonWing

:D  Good deal Gem.  He looks great. I can imagine he got a lot of attention. Can't wait to see the boots and new tunic.
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Gimli

I do believe this will help me quite a bit to love the boots on Build a Dwarf
Now you can't really blame that on me.