News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pan flutes

Started by LordEustace, January 01, 2010, 10:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEustace

My right arm is paralyzed (I was born a lefty, how lucky is that?) because I had a brain hemmorrage(sp) in 1990, and never got the use back. I was thinking the other day, maybe I could try to play a Pan flute. What I'd like to be able to do is play one using only my left hand to hold it. Does a Pan flute have holes that hafta be covered by your fingers? 'Cause if that's the case.... Looks like I'm out of another cool instrument to try and play. Thank you for any help you can give.
I'm partially Scottish, partially Irish, and there's a small amount of Native American somewhere in there...

uncletimcobleigh

The pan flute does not have fingerholes. Your idea will work. You wouldn't even have to be all that facile with your good hand, if you can move head. I saw Mike Seeger playing quills (southern US panpipes) held in a harmonica neck frame, allowing him to play banjo and quills at the same time. So you have a good chance to succeed at this.

LordEustace

oh, excellent! thanks my friend.
I'm partially Scottish, partially Irish, and there's a small amount of Native American somewhere in there...