News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Simplicity 4940

Started by Lady Rebecca, December 23, 2010, 04:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

I sketched out my medieval/fantasy/pre-raphaelite dress for costume college today, and it came out somewhat similarly to Simplicity pattern 4940. But when I looked at the pattern envelope, it calls for near to a whopping 10 yds of fabric. Has anyone used this pattern, and/or knows where all of that fabric disappears to?

Auryn

I have that pattern but haven't touched it yet because of the volume of fabric 'required"
I would think all the fabric is to create the volume in the skirt and due to the shape of the sleeves.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Valencia

I made that dress a few months ago; it called for WAY more fabric than I ended up using.  I still have maybe 2 yards left of the gown fabric.  I did use a wider fabric (I think mine was 53" wide? I can't remember the details now). But I remember being surprised at the difference between what the pattern spec'd and what I actually used.

WindChime

I made that dress years ago and remember having a lot of fabric left over and I made the plus size pattern.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

Kate XXXXXX

Look carefull at the pattern layout: it's probably for a 'with nap' layout, for things like velvet, where you have to lay all the pieces the same way up on the fabric.  if you are making it from a plain fabric, you can probably dove-tail the pieces and save some fabric.  However, plus sizes may find they save less than smaller sizes doing this.

Lady Rebecca

I have 8 yds of app 52" wide linen (that I dyed for the first time ever!) to make it, but I'm also not really following the pattern. I'm making this:

So I'm definitely using the majority of the bodice part of the pattern, but this is the underdress:

so it's going to be more of a chemise with an empire waist and fitted sleeves. I was inspired by the green dress that Armstreet sells.

Cilean

Yes, I made this way back when and unless you have the same boyish figure the model does, well I don't and I have straight hips and a big tummy,... I looked horrible in it and it was a waste of  my lovely fabric!

May I make a suggestion?

Try this for what is being called the Gothic Fitted Gown:
www.cottesimple.com

I think this really does make a better gown and it can be adapted for so many more things!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Lady Rebecca

Thanks, that's a great resource! I think it's a little more accurate than the romanticised idea I had for the bodice of the underdress, but I can already tell that it will greatly help me for the sleeves. This link is the one I had originally found that I like: http://armstreet.com/store/clothes/medieval-dress-tunic-forest-princess

Goody

i made that dress for a plus size girl a couple years ago but had a  chemise, gored skirt and then made the bodice a lace up. it fit her figure well other than i coulda taken out some of the bulk in the skirt waist.