News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2010 Sewing & Garbing Projects

Started by gem, January 01, 2010, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArielCallista

the most important of my projects is my Snow White recreation for Rendevous. I'm gonna finally be getting started this week...I'm gonna have to push myself to make sure i get it all done in time. I've never made any form of noble garb and I've got to make a farthingale and bumroll for it too...i hope it turns out as good as i'm thinking
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Kate XXXXXX

Quote from: gem on January 03, 2010, 12:00:17 PM
Kate, one of my mundane projects is a velour sweatshirt (from this KwikSew pattern)!  I have some absolutely gorgeous pewter-grey velour, and I want to put some of my jacquard trim around the hem and neckline.  I've never worked with velour before (and don't have a serger); any tips?

First check to see if your velour has Lycra/Spandex/elastane in it.  If you don't have a label from the shop, then just stretch a bit of it: if you can see tiny gleaming threads, then it has the Lycra/Spandex/elastane in it.  Use a STRETCH or SUPER STRETCH needle.  If it hasn't, you can probably get away with a knit or jersey needle.

For get the 'overlock' or 'stretch fabric' stitches on the Husqvarna for this stuff: they are seriously thread-hungry and give a rather stiff and uncomfortable finish.  Just use a short narrow zigzag to sew plain seams and a wider one using the over-edge foot on the trimmed seam allowances, or zigzag them together and trim them down later.

Use a walking foot if you have one, and always sew in the direction of the pile whenever possible.  On true woven velvet the pile usually goes UP the body to give a deeper and richer colour.  On knitted velour the pile goes DOWN as it is longer and will be less prone to wear this way.

As you sew the seams, stretch them slightly.  Be VERY CAREFUL to keep the tension the same in front and behind the needle, and let the machine feed the fabric.  This builds a little extra stretch into the seams.  Use a good quality polyester thread to sew it.

Steam the seams gently (no pressure on the iron) from the inside when sewn.  You want to shrink back any unrecovered stretch in the fabric without pressing lines into the pile from the seam allowance.

Hope this helps.

Genievea Brookstone

We are working on a character re work.

For Pirate gone Ranger:

1. Semi fitted tunic with a mandarin collar:  We worked on this yesterday and the mock up is complete. No pattern used and this was the first time I just draped pinned and sewed.  Didn't come out too shabby. Linen swatches on order
2. Pants:  he is doing these on his own using an old pair of jeans as a pattern
3. Leather gorget, hat, half chaps and probably something else that I have forgotten.

Myself:

1. Fitted English gown: Bodice, lining, facing and contrast all cut out. Bodice flatlined and ready to be sewn together.
2. Fantasy forest huntswoman garb to match the new Ranger:  Pattern pick out and cut.  Lining purchased.  Waiting on Linen swatches
3.New hats and pouches
4.Candlewicked Pillow case just for fun when frustrated with the garb.
5. 2 skirt reworks
6. Finish Chemise from last year

New Kirtle and Chemise for my Youngest Daughter.

Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Margrett

My 2010 Sewing List:

* bustled overskirt for my steampunk outfit and tweak vest from same outfit
* 2 new Elizabethan gowns with beading
* finish my embroidered elizabethan/jacobean jacket
* victorian corset for steampunk use
* matching pinstripe vest & skirt
* doublet bodice
* proper elizabethan ruff
* Girl Genius character costume before CostumeCon
* Elizabethan smock & partlet

WindChime

I need to make some petal skirts for my mom and me.
A new 1/2 bodice with no boning because it bothers me when it digs in to my ribs.
I want to make a outfit like the ones worn in Hocus Pocus ( torn between which one to do because I don't think I could do all 3 )
I want to learn to make some bloomers in a plus size for me.
Going to try to make a pixi outfit with pants instead of a skirt.

The only bad thing is I have no idea when I can even start on any of this since I hand make all they jewelry I sell in my booths at ORF and KyHRF.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

Marietta Graziella

Oh fun!  I don't usually have a project list, I generally get a bee in my bonnet about some piece of garb and then try to make it.   But in general:
I hope to make an outfit for my DH.  I'd like to try some simple beading on a doublet for him. 
Some more hats! I had such fun making them last year.  Big.  Bold.  Crazy!  lol
Since I'm down 30 pounds (Since Feb of 09) I am pondering a fairy outfit for the hottest weekends (not that we had any in MN last year).
There has been some talk about a Day of Wrong so who knows what will happen with that.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Sorcha

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on January 04, 2010, 07:26:13 AM
Oh fun!  I don't usually have a project list, I generally get a bee in my bonnet about some piece of garb and then try to make it.   

I've seen MG's bonnets and she hides more than bees in them.   ;)

2009 2010 Garb List
Brown & Blue Elizabethan
Underpinnings to go with it
Black Pirate Coat for Rune
I found some really nice linen at SR Harris that is just hoping to be made into a chimese.
And someday I'll try my hand at a hat or two.

Artemisia

Yes, keep me in check!

1. Steampunk Mad Hatter (includes mad scientist, aviator and salesperson) for Wicked Faire
2. Blackwatch corset, matching skirt and maybe a sash.
3. Light green florentine w/maroon trim ala Unicorn
4. Navy wool gamurra.
5. Camicias and partlets.
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Serenity

Please keep me progressing.  I have a tendency to plan and start stuff, but not finish it :P

Here's what I have planned:

* Medieval gown for RenCon (April 9th)
* gypsy skirt and top for PARF
* finish hoop skirt and make Tudor style corset
* finish 2 skirts (green and yellow)
* DOW Tudor gown

There are other things in the planning stage but I'm not sure if I'll get to them this year.  Whew! For someone who hasn't really sewn before, I can be a bit ambitious! ;)
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

GirlChris

I divide my costumes into three categories. Character garb, Follies and Halloween.

Character garb is a costume made for a specific character at a specific faire or event where I am actually working. These are made on schedule, on budget, and with input from any directors there may be. They are work. I don't know what I'm doing for these this year because the only event I've got a solid offer for already has a costume that goes with it.

Follies are things that I sew for no good reason. I don't NEED a blue velveteen tudor gown with all the trimmings. My boyfriend doesn't NEED a pirate coat, vest or breeches (oh how he wants them. But he doesn't need them). But they are on the list. I am working on them. But only when I feel like it. They may or may not get done in 2010. We'll see.

Halloween is a mad slapdash of whatever I can think of. There is a year of planning, but no work done until October 25th. That is when I will realize I do not have time for whatever it was I was planning, and then I go as something else entirely. The current huge ridiculous plan? Beheaded Anne Boleyn. Rock.

Lady Rosalind

Sigh...

1. Lose weight! I have a small (okay, giant) chocolate addiction.
2. New red court gown, to replace the old one which is getting worn out after 4 seasons of hard wear. I matched the red (yay! after years of looking for anything at all in that color!), so it's time to relegate the old gown to rain day wear...
3. Black silk court gown, with peacock blue silk accents, gold/red iridescent trims. Low-cut bodice, and doublet bodice.
4. More and more dolls!
5. Learn to embroider! (I'm making progress!)

Aiacha

1) Tunic and undertunic, but first I have to replace some linen.  This needs to be done quickly as it's for Sherwood (last weekend Feb.)
2) Then I don't have anything "planned" but I want to take a look at my closet and decide if I want anything else for Pennsic.  I may make some bloomers and thigh (or knee) length chemises.  If the tunics come out nice, I may work on a second set in a different color scheme...nice to be moderately period  :)

amy

Item number one is make the list!  Thanks GEM for starting us off on a good foot!
2) Aubergine velvet short cloak and bonnet for daughters white dress
3) new corset, bum and farthingale from sage/cream ticking fabric bought on a whim
4) Burnt Orange doublet bodice dress for myself  rust velvet tall hat
5) Update green doublet dress, with trim and new sleeves6) General panicky last minute mending, fixing, patching and primping
7) new blackwork linen handkercheifs
Rats and my time limit is by May 1 when TNRF opens! Yikes

2/9/2010   Item 2 bonnet is done!
3/7/2010   Cloak/cape is done!
3/15/2010  corset and tall hat done!

Auryn

Ahhh getting organized- makes me feel like a procrastinator hehe

ok here is my list so far- my goal is to finish one per month
- green dress
-3 pairs of new pants - 1 for milord, and 2 for me
-blue leather boots (already cut out just need to assemble)
-water skin (also already cut out and needs assembly)
-a quiver
-a new hot weather cloak
-fantasy pirate captain corset coat
-gloves
-tooled bracers
-scabbard
- red leather jacket

for mundane life I still need to fix milord's ducati motorcycle jacket that was cut off of him when he had his accident in June.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

act2redux

you know I was real pumped about getting going on several projects...that is untill I completed a duct tape dummy for myself finally.....*sniffles*  I got a good look at it and have decided to put some of the more fitted pieces on hold for a few weeks and get back on the diet/ workout wagon ~ARG!! 
..so for the moment I am only gonna be doing:

making a second embroiderdd coif (I just have to have two of them for the weekends at the home faire!)
making a second embroidered chemise- same reason- have to finish the embroidery before I can generate
          the units!
new linen kirtle- I'm going all natural/lighter materials for garb this season..
new tropical wool outer gown- so soon as I figure out the trims- how rich do I get to be??
Victorian gown, jacket and maybe blouse...gotta settle on the picture to copy first!