News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faux Fur Cape

Started by Aelynn of Georgina, January 15, 2010, 06:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelynn of Georgina

I'm not sure if this question belongs here or in the garbing forum, so please forgive me if I've mis-classified my post...

I bought a gorgeous remnant of faux fur (I think it's arctic fox) last October with the intent of making it into a cape.  The piece I got is fairly large (I haven't measured it so I don't know exactly), but I don't think it's enough to make a full length cape, but I definitely want it as long as possible.  I intend on lining it with fleece backed satin.

My questions are these:  Would a fur cape have always had a hood? Has anyone here ever made a faux fur cape? Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for a faux fur cape? Or do you think it would be possible to adjust a regular pattern to use faux fur?

Every pattern I have seen for capes have a hood. I am not picky about being HA but I don't want to look completely out of place if I have to sacrifice a hood for length or visa versa.

Thanks in advance for any insight and help you guys can offer.

Kate XXXXXX

Not all capes had hoods.  Replace the hood with a band collar.

Use any cloak pattern you can fit on the fur, and just make it as long as you can.

ladyharrogate

another thought is a 3/4 length cape.  they look pretty and you don't have to worry about then getting as dirty since they are a few feet off the ground, usually about knee to mid calf.  No hood will look fine, especially if you are a lady and wearing a headpiece you don't want crushed.

Aelynn of Georgina

Thank you so much!  I was thinking 3/4 length too.  I am pretty sure I have enough for that, without a hood.  My gown is fairly simple (medieval), and I haven't decided on what I will wear on my head yet.  I was thinking of a headroll and veil, which might look odd when wearing the cape.  I am going to go back to the fabric store to see if they have any more of the same fur.  I might just make a detachable hood for the cape...

Aelynn

ladyharrogate

you could also do the headpiece with a detachable veil for when you wear the cape.