News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Performer Etiquette

Started by Ditzy Gypsy, January 18, 2010, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ditzy Gypsy

I've been reading through these forums soaking up all the info and discussions and I've seen topics dealing with the many nuances of paytron/playtron and merchant etiquette but I noticed that there wasn't really a topic that summed it all up for performers. (If there was one, it escaped my searches somehow.) This is my first year as a performer and I'm bound and determined not to make any performer faux pas.

So considering that one minds their playtron manners, what additional do's and don'ts should a newbie performer like me keep in mind?

During offstage time, do performers tip other performers if they watch a show?
I'm supposed to be in character ALL the time, so how would I deal with friends from my mundane life that come to see me, and want to talk about mundane things in a public area?
I'm in a stage show, so would it be considered rude to interact as my character in the lanes when there are lane performers about?

Thanks beforehand for any experience, information, and advice you may have!  :)

GirlChris

1)I can't really help you with tipping ettiquette. Faires up here in Canada tend to be of the "no-hat" variety.

2)Different people deal with people they know in different ways. My usual modus operandi when I run into my friends is to run through my favourite or newest bits for them (depends on what they've seen before) then beat it. I let everyone know before hand that I'm working so I can't hang around and socialize, so nobody's too offended.

3)For this one you'd have to speak with your entertainment director. If you're supposed to be in character all the time, as you mentioned, you probably SHOULD be interacting in the lanes.

edited to remove double negative. Bleah.

Terry Griffith

Welcome, Pink.

It has been my experience that most of the things you ask about vary from faire to faire.  The best thing to do is ask the Entertainment Director of your faire.  You might also watch other performers to see how they handle these situations.

Most of us get a rare moment or two to see other acts and the only rule of thumb is try not detract from their performance.  Stay in the back or to the side where you can enjoy the show without distracking the audience so they are watching the show and not you.  Tipping is not usually done between performers but buying CDs or other merchandise might be appropriate.  They might even offer you a discount as a professional courtesy or offer to trade for your merch if you have any.

Meeting with mundane friends in the lanes is different problem.  Some E.D.s are very explicit about it and others, not so much.  You friends should be made to understand that you are part of theatre and they are on the stage with you.  Stay in character but great them as friends.  Talking quietly in the pub or backstage you can relax with them but in the lanes you are expected to provide an atmosphere for them and all the people around you.  You may need to explain this to them but most people will pick up on what you are doing.

Interacting in the lanes is debatable.  Personally, I enjoy taking part in bits in the lanes and most street performers will enjoy your participation as long as you follow their lead and don't try to take the bit in another direction.  "Yes and" should always be the rule and take it no further than reinforcing their bit.  Having said that, be aware that everyone is different and some may not want to "play".  If they want to include you, they will probably invite you to join the bit.  Watch for their willingness to include you.  If you think of something that would add to their bit, discuss it with them backstage and they will let you know if its a good idea or not.

In any case, live the experience and make it real for the paytron, enjoy the role and always respect the other performers and you can't go wrong.

All the best.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

temper

Good Questions!

1) Polite will get you everywhere. I listen and learn and take my cues from the people at the faire-if they are not using a BFA, then I will simply speak clearly in my own voice.

2) I won't interact in the lanes unless approached or asked to do so my the organizer. Any of his/her help, (short of performer contact) is just blowing smoke, my employer will give me a set of guidelines.

3) Travel in pairs, works for girlfriends, evangelists, buddies, comedy partners etc. it works for you.

4) Know where the bathrooms, first aid and exits are before the faire opens. Snag a copy of the schedule. Know who is security and who to call if it hits the fan. You aren't a rep of the faire but patrons don't know that. A good experience for them means that they'll come back and there will be a faire next year.

5) Do not crowd acts before you. We generally politely wait out of sight or at the back of the crowd. If they run over-that's fine, once. Don't repeat their mistake and cut your act if you have to do so. Also, ask the crowd to stay for the fabulous "act following you" and if they want more of you, you'll be *here at *time* :) If the act ahead of you is a repeat offender, mention it politely to them the first time. Mention it not-so politely to the performer contact the second time. If you are using a loud/messy item (gun, fire cracker, hawker) warn people.

6)Do not, do not, do not get involved in the gossip of the faire. Words are like toothpaste, you can't squish them back in after they're out.

7) DO thank people, offer water if you see someone needs it, ask if someone looks distraught. Even if you aren't an expert, you're someone they can lean on while you find the answers. Help where you can.

8) Understand that any food in plain sight will be snatched. Eat, hide and share food/water discreetly or in period containers if possible.

9) Do not handle bad behavior yourself, get security.

10) Communication, communication, communication. As we are an ensemble with a tent, we actually schedule "downtime" for people to watch the tent, go to lunch, and do other ...stuff. Some solo merchants would love if you ask the same thing.

Maybe this was a bit specific but there are things in this list that never occurred to me early on.
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

Queen Maggie

Bravo, Temper! Excellent list.
Remember, every faire has it's own Gestalt; it's own flavour, intent, set of mannerisms, and it's own style. None is more 'right' than others, each has it's own particular positives and negatives. My favs might not be yours, but the ones "here" are probably those of the locals. Don't denigrate, no matter what.
Play fair. Don't step on others' acts, but always remember to ASK.
....I've recently relocated, and have fond that even the definition of a "pubsing" is different here: here it's an entertainment for others (where I come from it's a collaboration intended to make patrons feel as though they are part of what's going on... so singing along loudly and encouraging others to join in is considered helpful: in the new locale that's considered stepping on toes. Who knew?... I asked and found out.)
Queen Maggie
wench#617, Bard #013
aka Mistress Mannerly, Goodlief Bailey, Cousin Undine Mannerly, Mother Lowe

Amelia

As a traveling lane act who does up to 6 shows a year, I try to interact with the cast of whatever show I'm working.  That being said, there *are* some things that I appreciate when approached by a cast member, to have a good, professional working environment for all.

First and foremost, and please don't read any negativity in this, but it is important when dealing with traveling lane and stage acts.  This. Is. My. Job.  This is what I do, all year long, to pay my bills.  Especially in today's economy, it is ultra-important that I do my best for ED's and owners all the time.  I am "on", all the time.  I can't talk about my Facebook fan page, my other shows, my social plans after hours, what I'm making or how I'm doing, etc.  If you are talking about a subject to someone who *is* "on" like that, and they cut you off, don't take it personally.  They are focusing on the show, and may be trying to redirect you back to your character and interact with you that way. 

But, beyond that, a few helpful suggestions:

1) If I'm surrounded by patrons, I'm probably in the middle of my "set", my act, and am focused on interacting with the patrons specifically.  If I give you eye contact and point or make some statement in your direction - a specific comment that you will know directed at you - then I'm trying to invite you in to play.  If I don't do that, I ask the professional courtesy of not interacting with me at that time.  The lane is where I do my show, and, like a stage act, we have sets and specific things that we do to entertain the crowd.  We may not be up to the "Yes, and..." mentioned before, because we're focused on our show and the crowd around us.  And, please, don't take it personally if you try to interact with us and we don't respond (when we're with patrons).  Again, its that focus thing.  Also, don't ask if you can be involved *while* we're in the middle of the act, but if you see some point at which you can contribute, feel free to stop me after my set, backstage, to offer that contribution. 

2) If I am walking down the lane alone, please, by all means, say hi!!  I'm always happy to interact with cast members - feel free to ask me questions in the context of my character, about my character, about my day, etc.  If there is something that you want me to be involved in (a bit, a scene, a cast stage show, etc.), feel free to pull me aside backstage and tell me about it. 

3) I, most likely, did NOT go through the training program with you for the show you are working.  Therefore, please don't be insulted if I ask who you are (character-wise), what you do in the village, etc.  Also, I may have a different way of interacting with you than you are used to.  I'll try to learn how you do things, if you give me back something to work with. 

4) Most patrons will only stop to watch a scene in the lanes for about 30 seconds.  If they don't understand what is going on, they will leave.  I don't do well with "inside" bits and things that don't involve the audience.  Plus, I have NO IDEA what your character back stories are, so if you have something pertaining to a character plot or scene that you suddenly spring on me in the lanes, I will try and go along with it as well as possible, but will try to redirect it back to something that the patrons will "get". 

I hope that none of that sounded harsh, I certainly don't mean it to be.  And I'm VERY glad you asked the question!!  I wish you the best of luck with your start on being a part of the family of Renaissance Festival performers!!

Amelia Quackston, aka The Duck Lady
http://www.facebook.com/pages/amelia_quackston

Mars Mandrake

Here's my 2 cents:
1) Don't run over your stage times. If you're scheduled from 2-2:30, that doesn't mean run your show up until 2:32 and then start hawking your CD's and then breaking down your equipment. This is especially pertinent at a hat faire, as you're interfering with the next act's payday. Most performers I've encountered are great about this, but there are the "5 percenters" who just don't get it. The first time I have to ask an act to watch their times, I'm very nice and cordial. Second time... not so much  >:(. Can you tell this is my pet peeve? ;)
2) When I get the opportunity, I will watch another perfromers' show, especially if the crowd is a bit "light". I will usually put something in the hat, if for no other reason just to goose audience members to tip as well.
3) I'm typically hired as both a stage and street act, so I'm pretty much "on" all the time.
4) I would say that there is a huge advantage to "working with" the cast. As you get to know them, they will recommend your show to patrons (hopefully). In the 6 years I've been doing this, I can recall 1 time when a cast member tried to hijack" my street set ( I wasn't on a stage, so he assumed I was just doing a "bit" rather than an actual show).
Best of Luck!
Mike

vinceconaway

Lots of excellent points have been made already, and I'd just like to add one more.

Pay attention to what's going on around you.  If there is entertainment going on nearby, whether it's a lane bit, musician, or enthusiastic hawker, move your act along.  That area is covered, and at worst your performance could take food out of somebody else's mouth (a merchant I know once had a patron pulled out of his booth by a performer, losing a sale, right as they were about to hand over the money).  Also, be aware of the "sound bubble" you create, whether by acting or playing music, and how it interacts with others around it.

Best wishes on your adventures!
Vince

Ditzy Gypsy

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful input and information!
My first weekend went well despite some rain and cold winds, but the sun came around eventually :-)

I hope this thread keeps going, I've learned so much from it, thanks!

VIII

Hi Pink Gypsy,

If I can add one more suggestion: if the Performing Company has a Morning Meeting, try to attend and introduce yourself.  You should probably request this from the Performing Compay Director or whoever runs their meeting.

It has been my experience that this builds a great deal of trust and support between the two groups of Performing Company and Masquers.

Hope this helps
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

L Dale Walter

Here is one that is my pet peeve #1: If people leave your show and walk over to see mine (and we are all following a schedule) it is not my fault!  Talk to the ED about scheduling, but don't come scream at me that I "pulled your audience". 

On the heels of that, stay to schedule.  Don't figure you can run your allotted time, and then have 15 minutes for hat.  This is where #1 often comes in.  You run long, I have been holding as long as I can (thus killing my hawk in) and then I get yelled at because your crowd left.

Schedules people, please!  Oh, and ED's (and I have been one) please know how long your acts run.  Cramming a 45 minute show in a 30 minute time slot is not fun for anyone.

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron

Celtic_Fae

Quote from: L Dale Walter on February 09, 2010, 05:30:19 PM
Cramming a 45 minute show in a 30 minute time slot is not fun for anyone.

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron

+1, giving shows a smaller time slot is, indeed, a disaster waiting to happen

Ditzy Gypsy

We did pretty well with time this season's faire, we had a little less than a 25 minute show and we were allotted 30 minutes so it gave us around 5 minutes to come through with our baskets, briefly meet people, and look for any props we may have left around.

I had two incidents where a troop member removed my finger cymbals (zills) from the stage without telling me and I probably looked for them around the stage between acts to long. Then there was was one I dropped when a tipping playtron got my attention and Loony Lucy was going to loan me her's for the next set! (She is such a great person :) ) It showed up after the next set when I stepped on it while exiting the stage and it went "ding!" under my shoe. Lol, I love it when lost things are found again. After that I learned to grab my zills and throw them in the basket before I danced off collecting tips. Never again will I leave them around...maybe I'll just paint the tops of them pink so a troop member won't get them confused with hers again.
After every set, everyone was asking everyone else backstage "Where the (expletive of choice) is my (missing item)??!!"

So after my first season of performances at a faire, I can add this to all of your wonderful advice:

"If you have a troop of performers, designate one person to collect stuff, or have everyone collect their own belongings after a set so you don't risk trying to look for them when a new set is coming onstage. If you have a small prop like finger cymbals that can get lost easily and looks like everyone else's in the troop, discretely pick them up and take them with you before you leave the stage, and consider putting your name or a distinguishing mark on that prop."

Jaythebarbarian

That goes doubly so if you have a lot of props and costume bits to worry about, Pink.  My current show has six costume changes between the two of us, and can get fairly prop heavy.  We learned quick to find places for everything and to make sure it was there.  Fortunately our gear all fits easily enough into a footlocker-sized case.
"Barbarisms are but civilizations that are not one's own." -John Norman

crazyrennie

If I may;if you are lucky enough to have a stage and then doubly lucky to have someone maintaining said stage,befriend that person quickly.
I am a stage Manager at Arizona and have been fortunate to have great acts on my stage.
I am pleased to say that now one or two of the acts actively ask me for advice for their shows.
I have only had one incident where a performer  earned my ire.

Hint never anger the person who has control of the sound/light board.

Crazy