News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Lawton Ren Fest Reviews?

Started by Craigmeister, May 27, 2008, 10:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

Has anyone been to the young festival at Lawton?  I'm wondering about the layout there.  Are there many trees?  Is it a big site?  Have they had good Celtic or hammered dulcimer music?  I could probably make it there this year if it's a good fest.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Emerald Shaunassey

Craig,
     Myself and my crew perform at this festival.  Layout is good, plenty of room to roam with stages spread out fairly decently.  Alas no shade trees but the owner does put up big tents (with seating beneath) and there is shade over main stage (more to be added this year from my understanding).  I don't know who all has been hired for this year's show as far as music goes though.  For that, I'd suggest checking the festival's website (lawtonrenfest.com).  It is a good lil' faire with plenty of heart, something that is lacking in a number of faires and festivals. 

Hope to see you there!
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

Blackbead

Opening week of the Lawton Renaissance Faire was light on attendance but everyone that did attend was treated to some incredible weather, excellent food, and some of the finest entertainment in the land!  There were fewer of us merchants than last year but those of us that came brought holds full of incredible merchandise . . . well, I'll let others speak for that portion of the faire since I have a vested interest as they say.

The Food:  The turkey legs were magnificent and "Turkey Legs and More" also provided the labor for the faire's first tavern.  They also had an axcellent breakfast that I know that many of us vendors took advantage of (try the ham and cheese croissant!)  There was a Fish and Chips booth that also served Chicken and Chips (both were reportedly VERY tasty).  I was still impressed with the German food offered there (the quality is still superb and the prices were right!)

The Entertainment:  Both the Ladies of the Salty Kiss and the Bilge Pumps were there and brought to the stage the high levels of entertainment that you expect from both of these well established, extremely professional, and riotously funny groups.  It was hard on them but they were almost continuously on stage and rotated from one stage to another so you have no problem catching both of their shows without missing anything.  The belly dancing troupe that appeared put on one of the best shows I've ever seen - not only are these ladies gorgeous but they put on an incredible exhibition of their art and they liven up their show in several ways including getting some of the patrons on their feet for belly dancing lessens.  The falconry show at Lawton is educational and amazing - at what other faire can you see two peregrine falcons and actually get to hold a red-tailed hawk?!?  Also notable, and a show that you CANNOT miss when you come to the Faire, is the magic show performed by Zoron - I still cannot believe watching him, under the primitive conditions in which he was working, levitating a table with the assistance of an audience member.  ALL of the entertainment was incredible!

Walking the grounds, you can interact with the raptors from the falconry show, a six foot snake, two monkeys (one of them actually kissed Captain Jasper's hand!), and a bear that will have you laughing and smiling and feeling like a kid again.

This is a Faire that you should attend if you can - you get a full day's entertainment and the entry cost is about half of what you'd pay to go to a faire where you get lost in the crowd.  Come out and have a very special and unique day at the Lawton Renaissance Festival!!
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: Blackbead on June 09, 2008, 10:19:55 AM

The Entertainment:  Both the Ladies of the Salty Kiss and the Bilge Pumps were there and brought to the stage the high levels of entertainment that you expect from both of these well established, extremely professional, and riotously funny groups.  It was hard on them but they were almost continuously on stage and rotated from one stage to another so you have no problem catching both of their shows without missing anything. 

This is a Faire that you should attend if you can - you get a full day's entertainment and the entry cost is about half of what you'd pay to go to a faire where you get lost in the crowd.  Come out and have a very special and unique day at the Lawton Renaissance Festival!!

Blackbead,
     You do myself and the rest of the Kisses the highest of honors with your kind words, my friend.  They bring tears to my eyes and such pride in all of my ladies. 

Thank you seems so inadequate but it is all I have to offer in return.

Until next weekend brings us together again at LRF, be well and safe in your journeys.

Yours,
Emerald
Damed! proud to be a Kiss
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

Blackbead

Emerald,

'Tis simply the truth, Captain - I tend to choose me friends carefully and the selection of you and your crew was an easy one!  Faire winds to ye!  More to follow!

Blackbead
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Al-Nimer

We (cowgrrl & I & our kids) are planning attending this Saturday & maybe Sunday.
Anyone know if they allow patrons to bring in bottled water?  Are there plenty of drinking fountains available?
Do lots of patrons wear garb?  I don't know whether to go in danes, kilt or wrap pants.

TIA!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Emerald Shaunassey

Greetings Al-Nimer!
    I do not think they do allow outside food and drink at Lawton (the majority of Ren faires/fests do not allow outside food and drink to be brought in).  There are no drinking fountains on site.  Patrons wear what pleases them - some come in garb while some do not.  We have a pretty 50/50 split at Lawton.  My best advice would be to watch the weather for Lawton and plan your clothes and sunscreen accordingly. 

Safe journeys to you all, see you this weekend.
Emerald

Blackbead

Al-Nimer,

I did see a couple of folks carrying around waterskins but I don't know what the policy is.  Lots of times faires will allow you to bring in water, BUT ONLY WATER, for health and safety reasons.  I didn't see any water fountains but I didn't ever get out of me booth for any longer than ten or fifteen minutes!  I'd say bring your water bottles and see what they say at the ticket booth.

It is not that far from where you'll park your car to where you walk into the faire - no more than fifty yards or so.

I agree with Captain Shaunassey; the split was about 50-50.

Make sure you check the website to see where they are giving out the dollar-off coupons - there was a grocery store that was about a mile from the Faire on Highway 7 (on the left as you are going from Lawton to the Faire) that had some at their checkout counters.  Even saving a couple of bucks can be of help these days!

And come by me booth, Blackbead's Treasure Chest, and use the phrase "on the beam reach" and I'll give ye 15% off of any one item!!  Hope to see ye there!

Blackbead

Al-Nimer

Gramercy Emerald and Blackbead!

We'll be staying Fri & Sat night at my brother's in Duncan, so that's the direction we'll be coming from.  According to mapquest, it's less than 26 miles from the festival, closer than we are to Scarby!  There's a Hastings in Duncan that has discount coupons, just have to remember to pick them up.

We hope to see the Ladies of the Salty Kiss (for the second time!) and hopefully find your booth, Blackbead!

LadyMorna

I had just about given up being able to make it to Lawton this year, when suddenly, it looks like we can, tomorrow!  YAY!  We'll see how long we can make it in the heat, though.  I will probably not wear nobility garb, because it's just too hot for that.  Sir Marcas will be in his usual kilt to catch the breezes!

Lady Morna
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

LadyMorna

Just got back from our 1st visit to the Lawton, OK Renfest.  It was a lot of fun!  Someone had said it was a small faire with a lot of heart, and they were right.  People were really nice and really friendly.  I loved the shows I saw, and really loved the shops!  We even saw a couple of familiar faces from Scarby.  If it weren't so hot, we would have stayed a bit longer (we're wimps).  There were a lot of shady areas constructed, which made up for the lack of trees.  This is a faire we will return to for sure next year.  I'm including a link to a few photos we took.
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/LadyMorna/Lawton%20OK%20Renfest/?albumview=slideshow

Lady Morna
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

Al-Nimer

WOW!  What a wonderful little Faire!  We had a lot of fun today, going to the shows, and even participating in a couple of them.  Since we had to cut out after the Steel show about 3:45, we must return tomorrow and catch the rest of the shows we missed today!

Blackbead, many thanks to you for your generous hospitality!  It was a pleasure meeting you and the Lady.  I'll be dressed like a pyrate tomorrow  ;)

Captain Emerald, it was a pleasure meeting you and your crew - Diamond, Ruby & Daylight.  Words cannot express how much fun we had at both your story times!  When you called upon our DS to be the cabin boy, it was the highlight of his day!  When we asked him what his favorite thing of the day was, he said "when I went up on stage for the Ladies of the Salty Kiss!"

I took a lot of pictures, so I'll post a link in a few days when I get them uploaded to my flickr account.

Al-Nimer

Quote from: LadyMorna on June 14, 2008, 04:34:46 PM
Just got back from our 1st visit to the Lawton, OK Renfest.  It was a lot of fun!  Someone had said it was a small faire with a lot of heart, and they were right.  People were really nice and really friendly.  I loved the shows I saw, and really loved the shops!  We even saw a couple of familiar faces from Scarby.  If it weren't so hot, we would have stayed a bit longer (we're wimps).  There were a lot of shady areas constructed, which made up for the lack of trees.  This is a faire we will return to for sure next year.  I'm including a link to a few photos we took.
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg90/LadyMorna/Lawton%20OK%20Renfest/?albumview=slideshow

Lady Morna
Nice pictures!  You captured our son, the Cabin Boy!  (BTW, we were sitting on the row in front of you at TLOTSK show.)

LadyMorna

Al-Nimer, I wish we'd known that was you!  We'd have introduced ourselves.  I hope you enjoy today; we didn't get to go back and only had a bit of the day Saturday.  Glad we caught your son on camera with the Ladies of the Salty Kiss!

Lady Morna

Al-Nimer

Quote from: LadyMorna on June 15, 2008, 03:22:16 PM
Al-Nimer, I wish we'd known that was you!  We'd have introduced ourselves.  I hope you enjoy today; we didn't get to go back and only had a bit of the day Saturday.  Glad we caught your son on camera with the Ladies of the Salty Kiss!

Lady Morna

No worries  :)  I'm sure we'll get to meet at one of the other Texas faires in the Fall (Middlefaire or TRF maybe).  We did have another good day today.  Got to see the rest of the shows and left just after 3 (just when it was getting REALLY HOT!)  The Birds of Prey was very good, DS got to have falcon land on his arm!  Then we tried to stay out of the way of the flying mud at the Brothers Dimm  :o

Talked to Blackbead and Lisa (Cragganowen Creations) and bought some of their wares.  They are very nice people and hope to see them at Middlefaire (if not sooner.)

Last we saw the wizard's magic show, and DD got to go up and be his assistant!  Needless to say, the two times the kid's went on stage were their favorite things of the day!

As an aside, about the only thing bad about this Faire is that the weather is just too darn hot.  I think it was close to 100 both days, and it definitely felt like it.  However, we will go back next year as long as we don't have other commitments, because the people were really friendly, and the shows were good and mostly family friendly  ;)