News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Long Sword Tournament & Martial Arts Gathering in Houston

Started by Escarlata, January 20, 2010, 05:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Escarlata

Hope this is OK to post here. I received the following in an email, thought some of you might be interested. They refer you to the events page which was a little convoluted to find, so here's a direct link: 2010 Open International Gathering Info. It's got the same info as below but will be where any updates are posted if you are interested.

QuoteThe Western Martial Arts Coalition (WMAC), in association with the Historical European Martial Arts Alliance, is pleased to announce our first annual Open International Gathering!

This Gathering will be held in Houston, Texas, U.S.A. from March 19th -21st, 2010. Instructors from across North America and Europe will be offering workshops, lectures, and presentations on a wide variety of Western Martial Arts! Topics will include German and Italian Longsword, Sword and Buckler, Basket Hilted Broadsword, Rapier, Montante, Dagger, Grappling, Langes Messer, Bartitsu, and more! (Yes, we have a few surprises in the works!)

In addition to the workshops and lectures, the Gathering intends to host North America's largest WMA / HEMA Open Longsword Tournament! There will be two Longsword Tournaments, one each featuring Modified Shinai and Nylon Longswords. Furthermore, there may be a Dussack or Rapier Tournament as well, pending interest. You can place your vote when registering for the Gathering. The rules for the Tournaments will be announced in January, 2010.

Whether you are new to Western martial arts, a long time practitioner, a stage combatant, a modern/sport fencer, an Eastern martial artist, or a combination of all of the above you'll find plenty to stimulate and educate you!

We are offering an introductory first year registration rate of $175 US to all participants registering before February 26, 2010 and $225 thereafter. In addition, arrangements have been made with the Courtyard by Marriott hotel to reduce participants' lodging fees. Those who choose this option will also receive a complimentary hot breakfast.

In a few days, registration will officially kick off and a full schedule of events, class descriptions, and instructor biographies will be released. Visit the Events page at http://www.wmacoalition.com/ to stay up to date on all the latest details.

If you want to secure your place at the event before registration opens please contact wmac_admin@wmacoalition.com and you will be added to the pre-registration list.

A few more instructors are likely to be added in the next weeks, but here is a partial list to whet your collective appetites:

* Matt Galas
* Steve Hick
* Alex Kiermeyer
* Colin Richards
* Anders Linnard
* Scott Brown
* Jake Norwood
* Jeff Tsay
* Steaphen Fick
* Brian Stokes
* Stew Feil
* David James Knight
* Brian Hunt
* Scott Crawford
* Chris Amendola
* Lee Smith

Please join us for some of the best WMA / HEMA training possible. We look forward to crossing swords and seeing you all at the Gathering!

Sincerely,

The Western Martial Arts Coalition
The Historical European Martial Arts Alliance
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

TKM

wow, i wish i could get to houston. this sounds like my cup of tea

Aiacha

Heh.  Heh heh.  Heh heh heh heh.  I have *got* to pass this link around.  It's too bad I'm not into it as I once was, and already WAY too busy.  Thank you for the link, Escarlata.

ALS

If you are at all serious about studying Western Martial Arts this is a must go! Some top flight instructors and you'll meet excellent folks among the students. Wish we could make it out to vend.