News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Moving up from basic garb?

Started by theChuck, May 27, 2008, 10:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baroness Doune

I started with the garb first and then found someplace to wear it.
I made a Flemish outfit using the instructions from Drea Leed's Elizabethan Costuming website.
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/lowerclass/makeflem.html

mellingera

My first garb was a bodice bought at MDRF for $10, I believe I changed right in the middle of the faire somewhere, I was so excited (Before you get to scarred, I was a band geek and we know how to change in public and show nothing!!)  The next year I went, I had made a fitted smock to wear under it and both over and underskirts to go with it. It is still currently in the wardrobe rotation. Not disposable in the least, but adaptable!

William Blackheath

It seems to me that the idea of "throwaway garb" simply reflects an evolutionary phase some of us go through the more we get involved in faire.  Initial ideas about character and presentation can change and grow over time.  That perfect piece of garb may not work a few seasons later; a change in character traits could spark a need for new garb, or new garb could help create a new character.  But the old stuff can still be useful.

I started out in peasant garb.  It was easy and comfortable, and the character grew out of what I was wearing.  But after a few years I wanted to try something new.  This time I came up with the character first, a middle class rogue mercenary, and built the outfit around that.  I'm doing the same thing with my pirate character, and still working on the garb for that.  But I still have the original garb and still use it.  Maybe the shirt can be worn one day with the mercenary garb, or the pirate can wear the peasant's pants.  But usually it's reserved for when friends and family come to visit:  "You'd like to go to the faire, but don't know what to wear?  Don't worry, I've got something for you!"

theChuck

Interesting responses from everyone. I started this thread because I'm technically in that starter phase, so I was trying to see how I fit in with everyone else. I went a different starting route, though - I got my stuff from Tudor Shoppe (stuff from Sofi's Stitches and some other labels). It's okay stuff, but clearly I'll want to move up the ladder at some point.

It's really curious to see everyone mention their characters. Admittedly, I consider myself to be a casual playtron, so I don't have a character developed. *shrug*
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Cobaltblu

I bought high quality garb for my first garb since I instantly realized I would be attending faires for many years.  I bought most my garb from the same vendor Potomac Leather Company/Wolfstone Kilt Company.  A lot of it is leather so it will last me many years.  Since I first went to a renaissance festival last summer this was all in the last year.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

robert of armstrong

I guess proceeding from you first garb on, you just add or change what you have based on your perception of what your character may have/want/need.  Some people's first forray into Garbing is something akin to a Hallowe'en costume, or another piece of reworked clothing.

Here is the earliest attempt I have a digital photo of:

That's me on the left.  The renaissance shirt, vest and bracers were an okay first step.  Notice the very period correct Request jeans.

Things change, personas morph.  Here I am with a different look, I'm on the left again:

Better bottom half, more accessories.

This is me in my third year of garbing:

This look is pretty much complete, although it is going to be added to this year again.

Bear in mind, I am a little bit of a freak.  I am not the type of person to slowly get into a pool using the step in the shalow end.  I usually jump in with both feet, often from the highest diving board I can find.

Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

sealion

First garb worn for the first time and looking a bit stiff and uncomfortable:

Same clothes season two with different acessories and having fun:

I still wear the purchased garb some days but I have sewn some things, too:

Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Dev

My first garb was actually not intended for the renfest - my plan originally was to cosplay as my shaman from wow for halloween parties.

Well, for personal reasons, I missed them and could finally go to the festival.  I adapted the costume by adding things and such to make it more troll-like, but it still came off very cosplay-ish.  This year, I'm trying to be as realistic as a fantasy character can be.

Old garb: green velvet tabard, loincloth with fur, black belt, black suede fashion-y boots, mundane purse.

New garb: off-white dress (viking style tube-shape - hiked some and slashed on the side), green suede bodice/vest, black leather bracers, black suede minnetonkas, black ring belt with pouches as needed, baldric...possibly goat fur waist flaps if I feel arsed to make them, though they would be a good touch.

Lady Anne Clare

Quote from: theChuck on May 28, 2008, 11:48:26 PM
Interesting responses from everyone. I started this thread because I'm technically in that starter phase, so I was trying to see how I fit in with everyone else. I went a different starting route, though - I got my stuff from Tudor Shoppe (stuff from Sofi's Stitches and some other labels). It's okay stuff, but clearly I'll want to move up the ladder at some point.

It's really curious to see everyone mention their characters. Admittedly, I consider myself to be a casual playtron, so I don't have a character developed. *shrug*
I also don't have a character developed but I went from what you see in my avatar pic to my current project which is a noble gown with full underpinnings.  I wanted a challenge and I definitely got one.  I love the clothing of the era and want to wear gorgeous gowns that I really couldn't wear anywhere else.  Also making it myself brings me joy :)

For me moving up is using more challenging techniques and using more historically looking fabrics and as much as possible natural fibers.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

serenamoonsilver

It's funny, but it seems I went backwards from a lot people.  For me, moving up went from having to make my own garb to buying something.  I don't sew very well, so for me it was a luxury to have someone else make something for me.  And I haven't made the jump to being h/a yet either.   I'm not sure if its a direction I'll ever go either.  While have a great appreciation for those who put together h/a garb, I rather like a little fantasy and will probably stick with ren/medieval inspired instead.

For those that are curious:
My first garb:

My latest garb (from Greycat, before she closed up shop):

gem

QuoteIt's really curious to see everyone mention their characters. Admittedly, I consider myself to be a casual playtron, so I don't have a character developed. *shrug*

I don't "do" the character thing, either.  My passion is just for the garb.  I either fall in love with pieces (like my flaming orange chemise) and then look for ways to mix and match to go with it... or I fall in love with a "look" (on somebody else, or from period artwork, etc) and then build that.  So I don't feel tied down to what my character would or wouldn't wear.  If I like it, I wear it.  And the mixing and matching of different pieces to get a whole new look is one of my favorite things about having a big collection.

Even though I sew, I still admire the handiwork of the artisans at Fair, so I sometimes will buy things that I could make--usually because the fabric is amazing (if you can't find that stunning fabric, it doesn't matter how good your sewing skills are).

Lady Anne Clare

Quote from: gem on June 08, 2008, 04:45:55 PM
QuoteIt's really curious to see everyone mention their characters. Admittedly, I consider myself to be a casual playtron, so I don't have a character developed. *shrug*

I don't "do" the character thing, either.  My passion is just for the garb.  I either fall in love with pieces (like my flaming orange chemise) and then look for ways to mix and match to go with it... or I fall in love with a "look" (on somebody else, or from period artwork, etc) and then build that.  So I don't feel tied down to what my character would or wouldn't wear.  If I like it, I wear it.  And the mixing and matching of different pieces to get a whole new look is one of my favorite things about having a big collection.

Even though I sew, I still admire the handiwork of the artisans at Fair, so I sometimes will buy things that I could make--usually because the fabric is amazing (if you can't find that stunning fabric, it doesn't matter how good your sewing skills are).
Here, Here.  That's exactly how I feel ;D  Well said
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This is going back a ways!!!

It was the early 90's when the Earll and I , before we were exhalted into our ranks, were back attending the MNRF on a  regular basis. We started out simply with what was available at the time....Flouncy shirts, belts, bracers, full skirts, and a bodice that would have been made for a Cinderella gown.

It was the late 90's when I observed how the Nobility dressed because that I was attracted to. After a lot of research, I was determined to recreate the era. By then, I was back working a the costume shop I helped start in the 80's full time redoing all of the Renaissance line. The rest is history.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Philomel

My costume (I call it that because it wasn't really garb yet, ) evolved during my first season.

I had never been to Faire before I performed out there, so I was costuming from a theatre perspective.  (I was hired to be a part of a stage act).  I had worn plenty of corsets and long skirts in all the Shakespearean plays I've done, so I went a different route.  I was supposed to be a fairy, so I wore a leotard, tights, and a tiny chiffon overdress.  Which was a fantastic stage costume, but not really appropriate for outdoors.

Then a couple of things happened- I got injured, and it started to get cold (It was in the 90's the first weekend, down to the 40's by the last.)  So, I added tie-on sleeves and an underskirt, and built a really warm cape.  I went from a straw sunhat to a veil and parasol. 

A few things I learned:  dance tights disintigrate combined with bug spray
                                dance shoes don't mix well with woodchips
                                leotards don't mix well with privys

Someone else said that modular pieces are very useful, and I agree.  I also think it's useful if you're attending every day it's very nice to be able to switch out your sweaty base layers.

Angus

My first "costume" was a partial costume as I was taken to this weird thing called a Ren Faire...

borrowed shirt, and belt, purchased a sporran, and wore knee moccasins, all covered with a HOT cloak. That was in 1989.

...after 19 years, I make a new Doublet almost every year, and make a new shirt every other, and leggings as they wear out...

...beyond that I just exchange assessories, and add bits depending upon location, and weather, and "Time period"
(cloak and gauntlets if colder and wetter, chain mail for earlier time periods,  different swords, etc, etc...)
Chief cook, and bottle washer...