News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Moving up from basic garb?

Started by theChuck, May 27, 2008, 10:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

escherblacksmith

I think evolution in the garb sense can apply on different axises, depending on what you are at fair for . . .

So, for me:

1993 -- CKC garb (MNRF staff garb, baggy green tie at the knees pants, gigantic shirt, orange sack hat)
1994 -- Monk robe, homemade (the wife), reasonably accurate fabric and color, basic knotted rope belt.
1995 -- same
1996 -- started wearing a great kilt, using a modern kilt belt.
1997-2008 -- basically the same, got another shirt or two (one homemade, one ebay), got a knew 4" kilt-belt, other accessories.  Then occasionally with a basic pirate garb (baggy pants, same big shirts, big hat).

The kilt has been the most versatile of all my costuming, I can wear it in any weather, I can dress it up or down.  So, my evolution, in this sense, is done. 

That said, I'd love to have a full aristocrat garb, or one of Felix Needleworthy's cotehardies or one of the Irish swords from Arms and Armor . . .

but, it isn't something I am willing to sacrifice for, so, it is unlikely to happen.
--

Merry

I love reading about how all of you started with your garb!  As you describe it, you are also describing your first faire experience!  What a great thread!  So...my turn I guess:)

Four of us girls were all doing it together.  We played at fair for 10 years before we got serious and joined a guild.  Our garb was tossed together from borrowed pieces, very bad patterns and no patterns at all.   Some of us sewed and some of us learned as we went.  Our fabric came from sheets (very cheap fabric), GoodWill dresses, old coats and just about anything that struck our fancy.  It would all get cannablized for garb.  We were peasants, so who cared if it was frayed, or stained!

But now we are guildies and want to look more h/a so we are actually spending money on our garb.  Good fabric....sometimes a pattern....and most importantly...a plan!  I just finished my first set of middles and I love it. 

I am not wearing the sleeves for the heat.  They are removable and you can see the green ties are there.  I have them tied behind my back.  They are Spanish Split sleeves with a forest green velvet cuff and matching trim.  As Mistress of My Ladies Wardrobe, I get scraps from her gowns and I can wear bits in my garb.

tigrlily64

Reading this makes me so excited to wear my first garb, and see how it evolves through time.

Scarlett

My first garb was a Museum Replicas dress I purchased online from By The Sword.  I decided if I was going, I was going in garb.  Very basic, chemise/gown with an empire bodice. 

Since then, my "moving up" has consisting of ever ending additions to my ren wardrobe: multiple bodices and skirts, chemises in various colors and styles, overdresses, footwear, belts, pouches, etc.  The more I buy (I do not sew), the more possible combos I am able to put together.  It's possible for me to not repeat an ensemble for 3-4 years simply because of the size of my wardrobe.  I get all of my garb from Ebay.

Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Athena

I've built my garb wardrobe from quite a few pieces found on Ebay, and have scored some really great deals!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Doberman

FWIW, I'm going on roughly a decade with the same basic gear.  :)  The only changes made have been additions.

I think my very first year I didn't have boots, so I wrapped my lower legs and wore a pair of suede steel-toed work boots.  Picked up a pair of cheap fringed calf-high moccasin boots soon though.  Cut the fringe off, etched & patinaed the grommety things with acid and wrapped the tops with some scrap leather.  They look great, and (no disrespect intended since they make great products which I'll likely soon avail myself of for my next outfit) don't scream out, "I'm wearing Sandler!" like half the other folks do.  :)

A year or so after that I added the tunic and the jerkin. 

Everything else is the exact same stuff I made in '97 or so.

Of course, while there's alot going on here, the base of my costume is all pretty basic.  Peasant woodsman archer sorta thingy.  So there's nothing that really needed upgrading.  I've been mulling over making some leather pants, but I sorta like the green ones I've got.  They look great after 10 years of dust & dirt & rain & sun & spills & whatnot.  :)

I'm about to make a fancy new nobleman's outfit to match a nice new noblewoman's outfit (only fair since she made a beautiful sorta medievaly "Maid Marion" dress to complement me last year. :)  ) but I don't consider it moving up.  Just adding another option to the closet.  I've also got a swordsman's outfit that I made 5 - 6 years ago.     

If you are able to take your time and do it "right" the first time, you'll never need to "move up."  But if your sewing skills or finances limit what you can do, no big deal.  You can always add, subtract, modify or replace as you go.  Getting started in the first place is the important thing.  :)

As far as buying or making it goes, I make it all.  I'm a stickler for having things exactly how I want them, so store bought's not really an option for me when it comes to this stuff.  (I made everything in that picture, including the quiver, bow & arrows.)  And the cost difference is significant as well.  So it just makes sense for me to make exactly what I want rather than spend more money on something that's probably not gonna be exactly what I want.

Doug "Doberman" Hillman

Grichels indentured servant.