News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Crafts at RenDevous 2010

Started by Aiacha, January 20, 2010, 01:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiacha

With Rendevous coming to Scarborough Faire in 2010 we thought, what's something people don't usually take home with them after Rendevous?  Pictures of fairemily and friends?  The joy of spending the weekend in a new shire, taking in the different yet familiar atmosphere?  A vague, fuzzy feeling of what may have been Saturday night? 

I've got it, a new craft!

At Scarborough Faire 2010, I will be hosting two craft classes, one Saturday, one Sunday, of different crafts that I have learned while attending Pennsic.  Out of the multiple crafts I have sampled, these two have stuck with me, and I look forward to spreading my enjoyment of them.

Saturday: - How to make a XVI Century Necklace

This class it taken directly from the notes of Rachel Armstrong, Heloise Le Gardeur and Valentine Graye, the three who did research and figured out the stringing method for the necklace seen in the painting "Portrait of a Young Venetian Woman" by Albrecht Durer done in 1505.  The handout will be the same handout that I was given.  It is a beautiful necklace, and it is probably the most worn piece out of my ren jewelry box.

The materials you will need to make this necklace come to $8.00.

Sunday – Beginning Kumihimo - $24.00

(By the way - the sample shows is just that, a sample.  The disk and bobbins that you will recieve are larger (better for adult hands) and much easier to use)

This class will use my own handout, put together from the handout I was given, additional tips and tricks I've picked up, and a little history into kumihimo, or Japanese braiding.  Now, this is not a history class, but I touch on it just a smidge.  Then we'll get you down to braiding!

The materials, which consist of a kumihimo disk, bobbins and thread come to $24.00.

Both classes will start at 3:00pm and run about an hour to an hour and half long (I don't want to take up too much of your drinking time) and will consist of 15 people maximum.  All I ask is that you renmail me with which class you wish to take, and I will keep a running count in this thread.  I'm also asking for money for the supplies, which you can mail me before the event or hand to me at the beginning of class. If you would like to mail me money, let me know and I will send you my physical address.  Sorry, I don't do paypal.  At the moment we don't have a location for the class, however will should know where it will be by the beginning of April and I will send everyone who signs up a map showing the faire grounds and the location of the class.

Merlin

This looks great....my daughter will enjoy this.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Blue66669

Thank you Aiacha, for offering to do this. It looks SO INTERESTING. I may see about taking the class on Saturday, as I don't think I'll have the patience on Sunday to do Japanese braiding LOL. I'll let you know, and thanks again. This is going to RAWK!
Blaidd Drwg

Blushing

Such a FUN idea!  Hmmm ... I better start thinking seriously about RenDevous. =)
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Aiacha

FYI - While the necklace on saturday is a one-shot deal (except, of course, you want to make one to match every outfit you have!), the kumihimo is an ongoing craft.  You'll realize how easy is really is and want to make more!  It's a great craft that you can carry with you on buses or, oh say, planes.  You know, how a lot of you will be traveling home.  Just be prepared to answer the inevitable question..."What is that?"

mieljolie

Looks like a lot of fun!  I'd enjoy making the necklace.  Can't wait!

Coincidentally, we just bought a loom similar to that shone in the pic for my daughter for Christmas.  I sat with it for an hour and managed one inch of braid.  :-[  Of course, I didn't get personal instruction.  Just a crummy vague instruction sheet.  It wasn't too difficult. But, unless I'm doing it wrong, it IS a time consuming project, though.  :)
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

Aiacha

Quote from: mieljolie on January 21, 2010, 04:09:31 PM
Looks like a lot of fun!  I'd enjoy making the necklace.  Can't wait!

Coincidentally, we just bought a loom similar to that shone in the pic for my daughter for Christmas.  I sat with it for an hour and managed one inch of braid.  :-[  Of course, I didn't get personal instruction.  Just a crummy vague instruction sheet.  It wasn't too difficult. But, unless I'm doing it wrong, it IS a time consuming project, though.  :)

It is time consuming, but it's good busy work.  That disk they sell in packages with the plastic lanyard string.  Try using yarn or embroidery thread with it.  Feel free to ask me questions about it, if you like.  :)

mieljolie

Quote from: Aiacha on January 21, 2010, 06:06:24 PM
...Try using yarn or embroidery thread with it.  Feel free to ask me questions about it, if you like.  :)

Thanks for the offer of help.  I'd really enjoy some pattern tips.  Ours only came with one.  Will you be demonstrating variations?  If the families' itinerary will allow it, I'd like to sign up for both crafts.  Need to run it by them first, though.  If you need help with the classes (setting up, etc...), let me know.  I'd be glad to help out.  We're about an hour and a half away form Waxahachie.

BTW, we are using embroidery floss, but I'm thinking our loom disc itself is not up to par.  I could probably work a lot faster if I wasn't pulling up the labels on the front and back with each strand.  Though you stated it is a sample, I noticed the one in your pic has numbers on it.  Ours is color coded, and I'm still perplexed by which color goes with which strand.  :)
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

Aiacha

Quote from: mieljolie on January 21, 2010, 11:29:07 PM
Thanks for the offer of help.  I'd really enjoy some pattern tips.  Ours only came with one.  Will you be demonstrating variations?  If the families' itinerary will allow it, I'd like to sign up for both crafts.  Need to run it by them first, though.  If you need help with the classes (setting up, etc...), let me know.  I'd be glad to help out.  We're about an hour and a half away form Waxahachie.

Well, since you state that yours is color coded, I'm not sure what pattern came with it, however I will be teaching one pattern with a second (actually, the one shown in the picture) in the handout.  I've also listed a bunch of references like websites and books that I've found.  I will have a few variations with me, different patterns with different threads, plus some samples of pattern cards that I purchased from a shop at Pennsic.  If I have a chance to set it up before the class, I will also bring a sample of a more advanced version, doing a kumihimo braid around a ball point pen.

QuoteBTW, we are using embroidery floss, but I'm thinking our loom disc itself is not up to par.  I could probably work a lot faster if I wasn't pulling up the labels on the front and back with each strand.  Though you stated it is a sample, I noticed the one in your pic has numbers on it.  Ours is color coded, and I'm still perplexed by which color goes with which strand.  :)

Hmm...The one that will be sold with the class is actually very similar to the one pictures, only larger.  Yes, it has numbers on it, however you only need the numbers to set up the braid, and then you can forget about them.  I'm not sure which you have with the color coding.  I'd love a picture of it, if you could.  You don't need the colors.  Heck, technically you don't even need the numbers, it just makes setting up the braid easier to do.

wildthingjew

i am going to say count me in for both, send me your address and i will get the check in the mail, so looking forward to texas, wildthingjew@yahoo.com and once you find the information regarding the class send that to my email too please.
jamie, mother of miss katie scarlett

Lady Renee Buchanan

I am so tempted.  They both sound wonderful.  But honestly, this is our first, and maybe, our only time to visit Scarborough (we want to visit as many different faires as we can in our travels).  And I think we will be doing a lot of running in those two days to try to see everything - all the shows, the shopping, the RenDezvous activities, etc. 

If there was anything offered after hours, say, Sunday night (I don't know the schedule if there is something planned for each night), then it would definitely be on my list.

But I don't think we have enough time in 2 days to see all that we are trying to and take this much time out.  But it is a great idea, and you are so kind to offer to do it.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on January 23, 2010, 08:13:51 AM
I am so tempted.  They both sound wonderful.  But honestly, this is our first, and maybe, our only time to visit Scarborough (we want to visit as many different faires as we can in our travels).  And I think we will be doing a lot of running in those two days to try to see everything - all the shows, the shopping, the RenDezvous activities, etc. 

If there was anything offered after hours, say, Sunday night (I don't know the schedule if there is something planned for each night), then it would definitely be on my list.

But I don't think we have enough time in 2 days to see all that we are trying to and take this much time out.  But it is a great idea, and you are so kind to offer to do it.   ;D

Lady Renee.... there will be enough of us locals to help you maximize your time if so desired. There is a certain method to the layout that once discovered allows you to see more with minimal walking. The last thing you want is to be hoping from one side of the river to the next to try and catch show times.
See ya at the tailgate before first canon ! ! !
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Lady Renee Buchanan

I am not called the Anal Organizer for nothing.  I will probably go to the website shortly before the faire, make a list of everything we want to see, then look at a map.  All and any suggestions are appreciated so we can see the max in the short time we have.  We are definitely thinking of the behind the scenes tour - which probably isn't behind the scenes - but it will be a way for us to see things we probably would miss on our own.

Steve and I are looking forward to our visit.  We will visit sites in Dallas and Fort Worth, so we're not listening to any friendly rivalry between the both halves!  lol       ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Aiacha

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on January 23, 2010, 08:13:51 AM

We've scheduled it so that this is the activity at the time, so I don't believe there is any overlap.  That said, I will have extra kits with me for both the necklace and Kumihimo so if you find your self with some time and restless hands, come by and I can fit you in :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to do anything Sunday night.  I'll have to head back to Houston for work on  Monday Sunday afternoon, probably right after I teach the class  :(  Boo, work!

edit:  I'm playing with the idea of staying until Monday morning.  Let me see if I can keep my hotel room and I'll let you know.  Maybe I can do a little something in the common room in the hotel sunday night...

Drac

I know I'm new but I would like to sign up for both.  How would I go about this?

Drac
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories