News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Any blackwork or bobbin lace makers out there?

Started by Drac, January 20, 2010, 06:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Good day all,

Was just directed to this site and was curious if there are any one else who does fabric crafts such as hardanger, blackwork, card weaving or bobbin lace?

Thanks for your time,
Drac
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Aiacha

I've touched on blackwork and have done card weaving on an inkle loom.  I have everything I need to learn bobbin lace, but haven't started yet.  I'm hoping to take a class in August.

Drac

Here are a couple pieces I've done as practice.

A piece of lace:

A bookmark (very goth this).  Not a lot of detail as I used pearl:

And a work in progress:

Drac

Aiacha

Quote from: Drac on January 23, 2010, 09:59:22 AM
Here are a couple pieces I've done as practice.

A piece of lace:

A bookmark (very goth this).  Not a lot of detail as I used pearl:

And a work in progress:

Drac

Ok, that bobbin lace is really cool!  and it looks great!

As for the blackwork, I find it very interesting that you're doing it with waste canvas.  I was doing it freehand in the class I was taking and it was driving me nuts!  I'm guessing the piece under the canvas is on the yoke of the shirt?  It looks great!  Hoe long did the cuffs take you?

Drac

Thanks.

Yep, I cheat.  If the fabric was even weave I might try it freehand but it's not so waste cloth it is.

I didn't really keep track but I would guess about maybe 5 hours, maybe a little less, as I'm really not the fastest stitcher on waste cloth.  On even weave or hardanger you can cruise.

By the way you mentioned learning bobbin lace.  Until you get in a class I will recommend this site -
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/

Best I've came across.

Drac

Aiacha

Quote from: Drac on January 25, 2010, 08:01:25 AM
By the way you mentioned learning bobbin lace.  Until you get in a class I will recommend this site -
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/

Bookmarked, thanks!

Drac

amy

I have tried my hand at blackwork and that style embroidery and I hit the a roadblock.  I can't figure how to do my work on the fashion fabric I choose for my pieces.  I tend to cut my budget by using whatever fabric is on sale and it seldom has a perfect even "linenlike" weave.  Any advice to put these counted style patterns on my pieces?  Do you draw or trace them on or do you run some removable threads through as gridwork?   

I would love your suggestions!  Thank you!

Aiacha

I can chime in my my $.02 here.  I didn't do blackwork with it, but I did some cross-stitch down sleeves and used this...

http://www.ericas.com/xstitch/charlescraft.htm

You baste or tack it on to keep it in place, stitch through it and the fabric, then wet it and the strings slip right out.  I was plesantly surprised how easy it is to remove.  (since mine isn't blackwork, I won't hijack Drac's thread, but you can see similar fabric lying on the top half of the shirt in Drac's picture.)

Drac

That be it.  Don't ignore the basting or you piece will wonder all over the fabric.  My wife ran the above piece through her viking about once for every inch to keep it in place.  Wetting will also make a big difference when combined with a good set of eye brow tweezers when pulling the threads.

Drac

Edit - Checked out the bobbin lace site, MAN!! it's been expanded from the last time I checked it out

amy

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!  That is just the stuff.   Wonder why I never ran into it before?  I placed my order and am looking for patterns again.    Can't wait for it to arrive to try it out!

Drac

If you have a Micheal's or a JoAnn near you get the 40% coupons they have every week and get it there.  They will have it in different stitch counts from 10.5 (most likely what you want to use) to 18 count.  If you don't go to the their websites and sign up for their email (if you have one near you do this too, twice the coupons ;D) and you will occasionally receive coupons for ordering online.

Drac

amy

Thanks again!  I'll be sure to post my first project with credit to my coaches!