News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Haggis is back!

Started by NoBill Lurker, January 25, 2010, 05:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBill Lurker

Scots Jump for Joy as US Plans to Lift Haggis Ban

Terence Neilan Contributor

(Jan. 25) -- American Scots will have an added reason to send their kilts flying Monday as they celebrate the birthday of poet Robert Burns. After a 21-year ban, the U.S. is planning to allow imports of haggis, a traditional Scottish dish.

The ban was imposed in 1989, at the height of the mad cow disease outbreak in Britain, because haggis contains sheep heart, liver and lungs -- organs that are considered at risk for carrying scrapie, a close variant of mad cow.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture was quoted by London's Daily Telegraph as saying that it was reviewing its regulations in line with a ruling from the World Organization for Animal Health that sheep lung is safe.
haggis
Marco Secchi, Getty Images
Haggis, a traditional Scottish dish, was banned for 21 years in the United States.

"At this time, there are regulations being drafted,'' the spokeswoman said.

Monday's timing couldn't be better for Scots, because Burns, famous for such poems and songs as "Auld Lang Syne" and "A Man's a Man for A' That," also penned "Address to a Haggis" in 1787.

Since the ban was enforced, Americans of Scottish descent -- of whom there are estimated to be more than 9 million -- have been forced to celebrate Burns Night without real haggis.

"It was a silly ban, which meant that a lot of people have never tasted the real thing," Margaret Frost, of the Scottish American Society in Ohio, told the Guardian. "We have had to put up with the U.S. version, which is made from beef and is bloody awful."

Scotland's rural affairs secretary, Richard Lochhead, said, "I am greatly encouraged to hear that the U.S. authorities are planning a review of the unfair ban on haggis imports. We are in regular contact with the industry on this issue and believe that reversing the ban would deliver a vote of confidence in Scottish producers and allow American consumers to sample our world-renowned national dish."

He added, "It's time for the U.S. authorities to deliver a Burns Night boost and recognize that Scottish haggis is outstanding quality produce."

Sales of haggis in the U.K. brought in the equivalent of more than $14 million last year, the 250th anniversary of Burns' birth.

Jo Macsween, co-director of Macsween, a leading producer of the product in Edinburgh, said the U.S. Agriculture Department's action would come as good news to both tourists in Scotland and Scots in the U.S.

"I'm very excited by this news,'' she told the BBC. "In my experience, when I have encountered American tourists in Scotland they absolutely loved it. ... So they will be delighted that next time they come to visit they can not only take it back but hopefully manufacturers like us will actually start shipping it there too."

Original Story Here
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Merlin

I'm Scottish so I can say this....

Haggis sucks.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Anna Iram

Especially one tha's traveled across the ocean.... :-\

I live in Sarasota, a sister city to Dumferline, Scotland, so lot's of places have an ode to Robert Burns. I'll have to go out in search of Haggis. Never had it, always wanted to try.

Found a list of online shops direct from the Isles.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/food.htm#supplies

Gosh I'd love to visit Scotland!

Merlin

It has the oddest texture and .... ummm... well... it can be hard to chew at times. I can't stand even the smallest grissle or fat in my meat.

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Seamus Ex Machina

Now I don't have to make my own! ;D
Legendary Hellraiser

Welsh Wench

Sheep lungs.
Sheep hearts.
Sheep liver.
Scrapies

Um.....pass.  :-\

Seamus, you cannot bring haggis quiche.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Seamus Ex Machina

Quote from: Welsh Wench on January 25, 2010, 07:29:29 PM
Sheep lungs.
Sheep hearts.
Sheep liver.
Scrapies

Um.....pass.  :-\

Seamus, you cannot bring haggis quiche.

What's not to like???   

MMmmmm.....yummy, haggisy goodness..in a pie crust... :o
Legendary Hellraiser

Welsh Wench

Set it way over there------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Seamus Ex Machina

<---------------The wind is blowing this way... ;D
Legendary Hellraiser

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Seamus Ex Machina on January 25, 2010, 07:44:19 PM
<---------------The wind is blowing this way... ;D

I thought it was the privies again...  :o
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Seamus Ex Machina

Go ahead and laugh.....we're taking over the known world now, with this news...haggis quiche, haggis bisquits, haggis on a stick, haggis deviled eggs, haggis ice cream..... :P
Legendary Hellraiser

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Seamus Ex Machina on January 25, 2010, 07:53:05 PM
...haggis quiche, haggis bisquits, haggis on a stick, haggis deviled eggs, haggis ice cream.....

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Seamus Ex Machina

Legendary Hellraiser

Captain Jack Wolfe

Seamus Ex Machina

Legendary Hellraiser