News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

NOTICE FOR OHIO RESIDENTS

Started by Old Tinker, January 14, 2010, 07:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tinker

our Ohio friends, thought we would post this for all to see. please understand that me's have not check'd it out, but it came from a reliable source. if incorrect please post as such, so that me's can delete this topic. but if true, this could mean a savings for each of you ( 20 bucks a car, that's alot of ales, Mmm Mmm,  ;D ).
take care all,
OT & B...

PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL OHIO FRIENDS / FAMILY!  ( BLEEPED A FEW WORDS!  :  )

Sent: 1/9/2010 5:39:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: FW: Ohio Rip Off

Just wanted to tell you all of a change in the law for renewing your licenses, plates and stickers.  In the past you had the entire month of your birthday to renew.  BUT..........due to the fact the Ohio State Highway Patrol is running in a huge deficit, they changed the law so that you must renew PRIOR to your birthday.  They intentionally did not inform anyone so they can attach a $20 late fee to every person with a license in Ohio who doesn't know about the change!  They got me for two cars this month and they refused to waive it.  That was $40 I had to pay.  This state s----- so I want to make sure that no other person pays it.  Make certain that you forward this email or one of your own to everyone you have in your contact book.  This is XX and we should not be tricked into paying for the State's inability to run a business within a budget.

Loveland "Castleteer"
Travel Safe, Travel Far

BLAKDUKE

It will most likely do no good but contact your congressperson
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

escherblacksmith

why google is your friend.

here are the specs

the pertinent verbage:

Effective October 1, 2009, if you renew your vehicle registration MORE than 7 calendar days AFTER the expiration date, you will be charged a $20.00 Late Fee. This change is due to the passage of HB 2 and affects renewing any vehicle registrations whether completed online,over the phone, in person, or through the mail.
--

Lady Pagos

I'm fairly certain I saw something posted to that effect when I went in to renew my tags. Of course they got me for a 75 dollar fine as I was slightly later than 7 days......
Pagos M'Crack
Sister of Bugsey
Loveland Castleteer

flidais

Hey be happy....in MI they charge you a fee the day after your birthday...and it's been like that for as long as I can remember.

Lord Clisto of York

Wisconsin has always charged a $10.00 late fee for one day past your bday. Butm they tell you this in bold print on your renewal.
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Bugsy

I renewed my tags on October 27th (birthday October 28th).  I didn't get a fine.

I got one a couple years ago when I was about 3 days late though ....
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Dragonlord

I need to remember this.  My birthday falls in the middle of July and I'm usually going in on the 31st to get them.  Can't do that this year.

Betty Munro

The issue here isn't the decency of charging a late fee, but in changing the rules, (end of birthday month requirement to ON your birthday requirement) and then charging without fair notification.  The laws read as such that it is a citizens responsibility to know the law, and the lawmakers have zero responsibility to make widespread notification.
I do second the opinion that laws are sometimes changed with the express hope to bring in funds from those of us that do not live at the courthouse.  It has been that way since the beginning of taxation, and I'm sure will continue until the end of days ... I suppose it beats anarchy.

WindChime

Actually if you look on the Ohio drivers license it tell you the date it expires on it. I can tell you for the 15 years I have worked retail that when a customer comes in for a return with no sales slip we have to check the date on the I.D. before we can do anything else, you would be amazed at how many people would argue with you about it being expired when it says it right on it. They would always say that it was good until the end of the month and get super mad when we wouldn't do the returns.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

renfairephotog

In Tn your drivers license is due for renewal on your birthday. When the last digit of your age is a five or a zero. It was changed several years ago.

Tags expire at the end of the month off the anniversary of when the tag was issued to the car.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer