News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Today In History

Started by Michael of Galway, January 29, 2010, 08:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

On this day VIII, at the age of 44, had a serious jousting accident - supposedly uninjured, but said it would have killed most men. 
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

RenStarr

Not Medieval or Renaissance period but..............

Canned beer makes its debut on this day in 1935. In partnership with the American Can Company, the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Company delivered 2,000 cans of Krueger's Finest Beer and Krueger's Cream Ale to faithful Krueger drinkers in Richmond, Virginia. Ninety-one percent of the drinkers approved of the canned beer, driving Krueger to give the green light to further production.

Armour for beer, what a concept!!

Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on January 24, 2014, 01:14:46 AM
I've been watching The Tudors lately (finally), and even though it is a... highly embellished version... it's still extremely entertaining.  I've noticed that in almost every episode there is someone writing to someone else, with official seals and such... and I occasionally wonder how much of these correspondences have survived.  So many different types of records were preserved from the daily lives of monarchs, and I would think that the Royal Secretary would likely have carefully put all received letters away for safe keeping... and anyone receiving a letter from a queen or king would surely treasure it simply for the source, correct?  I suppose I could do a simple search and find out how much has survived... but what I really wonder about is how much of that sort of thing is researched when writing the scripts for this sort of series, or film... and how much of it is just so much poetic license?
Hubby loves to look up this kind of stuff-Remarkably-nearly all of the official documents you see being written on the Tudors were legit.
    Most of the entertainment license was taken up with names of characters -Margaret Tudor  was a blend of Henry's 2 real life sisters; Margaret and mary Tudor.  The real Margaret Tudor married the King of Scots and was the grandmother of Mary QOS, and Mary was the Queen of France and the grandmother of the ill fated Lady Jane Grey.  The costumes, behavior and physical characteristics of Henry and his queens,  and the order in which some historical events actually happened were freely embellished.

A copy of Mary QOS execution warrant is available to see online, as is one of the love letters that his 4th queen-Katherine Howard-wrote to Thomas Culpepper.   Tame by modern standards; this letter was horribly intimate for a Queen to write to someone who was not her husband.
  Many documents signed by QEI are extant.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Norfolk

On this date in 1502 Henry VII signed the "Treaty Of Perpetual Peace" with James IV of Scotland, one provision of which betrothed Henry's daughter Margaret to James' son James.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Rani Zemirah

The history books can never convey the wealth of drama and intrigue that has gone on throughout history... which is why things like private correspondence and love letters are so very fascinating! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Norfolk

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on January 24, 2014, 05:57:04 PM
The history books can never convey the wealth of drama and intrigue that has gone on throughout history... which is why things like private correspondence and love letters are so very fascinating!

Yea, verily, M'Lady!

Rowan MacD

Nice find by Norfolk! 

NOW I can post this:

1533: Henry VIII marries Anne Boleyn

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Norfolk

Quote from: Rowen MacD on January 25, 2014, 08:14:26 AM
Nice find by Norfolk! 

NOW I can post this:

1533: Henry VIII marries Anne Boleyn

You beat me to it!

Norfolk

On this date in 1554 Queen Mary summoned her sister Elizabeth to Court, warning her about Wyatt's rebellion.  Elizabeth did not obey the summons, pleading illness.

Norfolk

On this date in 1596, Sir Francis Drake died in Panama.

HennyPenny

Quote from: Norfolk on January 26, 2014, 10:06:19 AM
On this date in 1554 Queen Mary summoned her sister Elizabeth to Court, warning her about Wyatt's rebellion.  Elizabeth did not obey the summons, pleading illness.

This is a gudn'!

HennyPenny

Quote from: Norfolk on January 26, 2014, 10:06:19 AM

This is a gudn'!

Norfolk

On this date in 1457 Henry VII was born. And on this date in 1547 Henry VIII died, thereby saving yours truly from execution.

DonaCatalina

Certainly an odd juxtaposition of numbers.
:)
On January 29, 1536, Anne Boleyn gave birth to a stillborn son.
This was also the date of the funeral of Queen Katherine of Aragon.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Norfolk

Quote from: DonaCatalina on January 29, 2014, 05:04:37 AM
Certainly an odd juxtaposition of numbers.
:)
On January 29, 1536, Anne Boleyn gave birth to a stillborn son.
This was also the date of the funeral of Queen Katherine of Aragon.

Katherine was buried with the title of "Princess Dowager" rather than Queen Katherine, and Queen Anne blamed her miscarriage on her uncle, the Duke of Norfolk.