News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Today In History

Started by Michael of Galway, January 29, 2010, 08:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Norfolk on January 29, 2014, 10:45:25 AM
Quote from: DonaCatalina on January 29, 2014, 05:04:37 AM
Certainly an odd juxtaposition of numbers.
:)
On January 29, 1536, Anne Boleyn gave birth to a stillborn son.
This was also the date of the funeral of Queen Katherine of Aragon.

Katherine was buried with the title of "Princess Dowager" rather than Queen Katherine, and Queen Anne blamed her miscarriage on her uncle, the Duke of Norfolk.

You are always to blame!!
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Norfolk

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on January 29, 2014, 10:50:28 AM
Quote from: Norfolk on January 29, 2014, 10:45:25 AM
Quote from: DonaCatalina on January 29, 2014, 05:04:37 AM
Certainly an odd juxtaposition of numbers.
:)
On January 29, 1536, Anne Boleyn gave birth to a stillborn son.
This was also the date of the funeral of Queen Katherine of Aragon.

Katherine was buried with the title of "Princess Dowager" rather than Queen Katherine, and Queen Anne blamed her miscarriage on her uncle, the Duke of Norfolk.

You are always to blame!!

Her Majesty certainly seems to think so!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Norfolk

On this date in 1547, Sir Thomas Wriothesley announced the death of Henry VIII to Parliament, and Edward VI was proclaimed King.

Norfolk

On this date in 1514, as a reward for his achievements at the Battle of Flodden, Thomas Howard was created Earl of Surrey for life by Henry VIII.  His father, also named Thomas, was created the 2nd Duke of Norfolk.

DonaCatalina

February 3, 1208 was the birthdate of Jaime I of Aragon.
Known as "the Conquerer" (Jaime el Conquistador), James was only five years old when his father King Pedro I of Aragon was killed. When his uncle Sancho resigned the regency in 1218, rebellions flared up, and Jaime, who had been placed with the Knights Templar at Monzón, often faced grave personal danger and even fought in hand-to-hand combat.

At age 19 Jaims took control of his government and began reconquering Aragon piece by piece. He was a man of extraordinary personal courage, and his reign saw many beneficial improvements in spite of the frequent wars necessary to rebuild his nation.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Norfolk

Norfolk

On this date in 1478, Edward Stafford, who would become the 3rd Duke of Buckingham, was born.  The Duke, like his father, would later be executed for treason.

Rowan MacD

On this day in 1575 –the future French Cardinal,  Pierre de Bérulle,  was born.

Bérulle was a chaplain to King Henry IV of France, and several times declined his offers to be made a bishop. He obtained the necessary dispensations from Rome for Henrietta Maria's marriage to Charles I, and acted as her chaplain during the first year of her stay in England. In 1626, as French ambassador to Spain, he concluded the favourable Treaty of Monzón, to which his enemy Cardinal Richelieu found objections. 
   After the reconciliation of King Louis XIII with his mother, Marie de Medici, through his agency, he was appointed a councillor of state, but had to resign this office, owing to his pro-Habsburg policy, which was opposed by Richelieu.     
  For religious reasons, Cardinal Bérulle favored the allegiance of France with Austria and Spain, the other Catholic powers, while Cardinal Richelieu wanted to undermine their influence in Europe.   He was made cardinal by Pope Urban VIII on 30 August 1627, but never received the red hat.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

On February 5, 1578 Giovanni Battista Moroni died.
Moroni was one of the few Italian Renaissance artists who made portraits his specialty. He was known for his ability to portray his subjects with dignity and humanity. Moroni's works were often of ordinary working-class individuals instead of the nobility and the rich.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Norfolk

On this date in 1477 (or maybe 1478) Thomas More, the future Lord Chancellor of England, was born.

Norfolk

On this date in 1587, Mary, Queen of Scots was executed at Fotheringhay Castle.

DonaCatalina

On February 10,1355, the St. Scholastica's Day riot breaks out in Oxford, England, leaving 63 scholars and perhaps 30 locals dead in two days.
Background and dispute

The seed of the riot was an altercation in the Swindlestock Tavern (now the site of the Santander Bank on Carfax, on the corner of St Aldate's and Queen Street) between two students of the University of Oxford, Walter Spryngeheuse and Roger de Chesterfield, and the taverner, John Croidon. They complained about the quality of drinks, which led to an exchange of rude words that ended with the students throwing their drinks in the taverner's face and assaulting him. Retaliation for this incident led to armed clashes between locals and students.

The mayor of Oxford, John de Bereford, asked the Chancellor of Oxford University, Humphrey de Cherlton, to arrest the two students, to no avail. Instead, 200 students supported Spryngeheuse and Chesterfield, allegedly assaulted the mayor and others. As the situation escalated, locals from the surrounding countryside poured in, crying: "Havac! Havoc! Smyt fast, give gode knocks!"
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Norfolk

It would appear that there is nothing new under the sun, to include town vs gown!

Also on this date, in 1542, Catherine Howard was taken to the Tower of London by barge.

Norfolk

On this date in 1466, Elizabeth of York, future queen of Henry VII, was born.  She died in 1503 of postpartum infection on her 37th birthday.

Norfolk

On this date in 1554, Lady Jane Grey an her husband, Guildford Dudley, were executed for treason.