News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Today In History

Started by Michael of Galway, January 29, 2010, 08:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

On this day in 1542- Henry VIII executed his 5th Queen, Catherine Howard.
She was just 18 and Henry was 51; They were married when she was 16.
Henry called her 'His Rose without a Thorn'..
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Rowan MacD

Not truly medieval-but since St Valentine was associated with Courtly Love....

On this date somewhere around  269-273 A.D.  St Valentine was beheaded on the Via Flaminia just north of Rome.
  His crime was marrying couples (thereby excusing men from military duty) and aiding Christians during the persecution by Emperor Claudius. 
  Claudius was reported to take a liking to the rebel priest...until he tried to convert him, for which he received a death sentence.
IWG wench #3139 

Norfolk

On this date in 1547, Edward VI was crowned King of England at Westminster Abbey.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Rowan MacD

On this day in 1173- Thomas A' Becket is canonized.

1431-The trial of Joan of Arc begins.

1437-James I of Scotland dies.

IWG wench #3139 

Rowan MacD

on this day in 1512-Amerigo Vespucci dies.
  He is known for determining that the lands Columbus had discovered were a completely separate continent from Asia.
   Both North and South America bear his name, a variation on "Amerigo."

Famous Quotes:

"The manner of their living is very barbarous, because they do not eat at fixed times, but as often as they please."

Sounds like we haven't changed much...

"Those new regions which we found and explored with the fleet... we may rightly call a New World... a continent more densely peopled and abounding in animals than our Europe or Asia or Africa; and, in addition, a climate milder than in any other region known to us."

There are people in Minnesota who would challenge this...
IWG wench #3139 

Rowan MacD

1525: Battle of Pavia  begins...and ends.

The Battle of Pavia, fought on the morning of 24 February 1525, was the decisive engagement of the Italian War of 1521–26.

A Spanish-Imperial army under the nominal command of Charles de Lannoy (and working in conjunction with the garrison of Pavia, commanded by Antonio de Leyva) attacked the French army under the personal command of Francis I of France in the great hunting preserve of Mirabello outside the city walls. In the four-hour battle, the French army was split and defeated in detail. The French suffered massive casualties, including many of the chief nobles of France; Francis himself, captured by the Spanish troops, was imprisoned by Charles V and forced to sign the humiliating Treaty of Madrid, surrendering significant territory to his captor. The outcome of the battle cemented Spanish Habsburg ascendancy in Italy.
IWG wench #3139 

Norfolk

"The outcome of the battle cemented Spanish Habsburg ascendancy in Italy." 

It also put the Pope firmly under the control of Charles V, thereby effectively ending any possibility that His Holiness would approve the termination of Henry VIII's marriage to Charles' aunt, Katherine of Aragon.  The ultimate consequence of the Battle of Pavia, therefore, was England's separation from the roman catholic church.

Rowan MacD

I was at the hospital yesterday with hubby- so to catch up:
  On February 25, 1570: Queen Elizabeth I was Excommunicated.
When the staunch reformer and persecutor of heretics Pope Pius V excommunicated Elizabeth and declared her a usurper, religious tension mounted in largely Protestant England, and English Catholics came under more frequent suspicion.

__________________________________________________today_______

On this day in 1561-Jorge de Montemayor died...

This Portuguese-born musician and author wrote the first Spanish pastoral novel: Los siete libros de la Diana (The Seven Books of the Diana). The work was inspired in part by Jacopo Sannazzaro's pastoral romance Arcadia, and, undergoing many editions, became widely translated and started a literary fashion in the Renaissance.
  William Shakespeare used Bartholomew Young's translation of Diana as a source for his play The Two Gentlemen of Verona.

Montemayor served Philip II's first wife and went with the Crown Prince to England when he married Mary Tudor.
   He was murdered in Italy, supposedly in a love feud.
IWG wench #3139 

Norfolk

On this date in 1539, Thomas Boleyn, Earl of Wiltshire and Ormond and father of Queen Anne Boleyn, died at Hever castle.  He was approximately sixty-two years of age at the time of his death.  He remained in favor with Henry VIII despite his daughter's history.

Norfolk

On this date in 1496, Henry VIII's beloved sister, Princess Mary Tudor was born in Richmond Palace.

Rowan MacD

1549: Thomas Seymour was executed....

Seymour was an opportunist who used his position as Edward VI's uncle and, more significantly, as the Lord Protector's brother to rise to the rank of Lord Admiral, a position which he abused by dealing with pirates.
Seymour married Henry VIII's widow Katherine Parr and pursued the young princess Elizabeth somewhat blatantly, though he never succeeded.
  When his piratical activities were discovered he was arrested, tried, and executed.
IWG wench #3139 

Norfolk

The Tudor era came to an end on this date in 1603 with the death of Queen Elizabeth I.

DonaCatalina

On March 24, 1550 - France and England signed Peace of Boulogne.
The guns of Boulogne were listed in the inventory of English crown possessions taken after Henry VIII's death on 28 January 1547. Most of their wheels and stocks were said to be rotten and decayed. The totals were; 4 cannons; 5 demi-cannons; 10 culverins; 14 demi-culverins; 18 sakers; 21 falcons, falconets, and chamber falcons; 25 great brass mortars; 19 small brass mortars; 9 iron mortars; 3 iron bombards; 3 iron cannon-perrier; 16 port-pieces; 24 fowlers; 7 slings; 12 double bases; 54 shrimp bases; 114 privy bases; 2 robinets; and 73 brass hagbuts. The guns were in four positions; the Old Man; High Boulogne; Base Boulogne; and the Boulemberg (Mont Lambert). When Boulogne was returned to France in March 1550, Edward VI noted that the guns too would be handed over. These included recently captured pieces and; 2 basilisks; 2 demi-cannon; 3 culverins; 2 demi-culverins; 3 sakers; 16 falcons; 94 arquebus a croc with wooden tails (muskets for fixed positions); and 21 iron guns.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Norfolk

On this date in 1489 the Treaty of Medina del Campo, establishing peace and cooperation between England and Spain, was signed.  One of the most important provisions of this treaty was the betrothal of Arthur, Prince of Wales and Catalina (Catherine), Princess of Aragon.

Norfolk

On this date in 1502, Arthur, Prince of Wales, son and heir of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, died at Ludlow Casle in the Welsh marshes.  The cause of his death is unknown, and speculation runs the gamut from consumption (TB) to testicular cancer.  His wife, Katherine of Aragon, also became ill, but recovered and went on to marry Arthur's younger brother, Henry.