News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Today In History

Started by Michael of Galway, January 29, 2010, 08:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk

On the 9th of April 1533, a delegation of the King's councillors, headed by the Duke of Norfolk, visited Catherine of Aragon to inform her that Henry VIII was now married to Anne Boleyn.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Norfolk on April 09, 2014, 09:08:44 AM
On the 9th of April 1533, a delegation of the King's councillors, headed by the Duke of Norfolk, visited Catherine of Aragon to inform her that Henry VIII was now married to Anne Boleyn.

Nice news you bear there, Norfolk   :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on April 09, 2014, 10:16:06 AM

Ah, the fickleness of Kings...
  3 years later Catherine would die of natural causes and Anne would follow her in just a little more than 4 months....by causes not as natural.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Butch

It seems that he's ALWAYS bearing good news!  At least, every time that I've seen him.

Norfolk

Quote from: Butch on April 09, 2014, 01:29:38 PM

It seems that he's ALWAYS bearing good news!  At least, every time that I've seen him.
Grammercy, all.    ;)

Rowan MacD

1512: James V of Scotland was born on this date.
Succeeding to the throne at the age of 17 months and surviving a power struggle over his regency, James was a harsh ruler whose taxations alienated his subjects.     
   His alignment against Henry VIII of England resulted in a disastrous battle at Solway Moss. The defeat caused James to suffer a nervous breakdown, and he died shortly thereafter at the age of 30.

His only legitimate child to survive to adulthood was Mary, Queen of Scots. His illegitimate son, the Earl of Moray, became regent of Scotland when Mary abdicated.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Norfolk

On this date in 1512 the Mary Rose began her first voyage in the English Channel, hunting French warships.

Also on this date in 1521, Martin Luther appeared before Holy Roman Emperor Charles V at the Diet of Worms.  He had been summoned by Charles to either recant or reaffirm his religion views. 

Butch

Quote from: Norfolk on April 16, 2014, 09:51:05 AM
Also on this date in 1521, Martin Luther appeared before Holy Roman Emperor Charles V at the Diet of Worms.  He had been summoned by Charles to either recant or reaffirm his religion views.

Yeah, THAT ended well.

Norfolk

Quote from: Butch on April 16, 2014, 10:59:41 AM

Yeah, THAT ended well.

I love a catastrophe not of my making!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Norfolk on April 16, 2014, 10:19:39 PM

Yeah, THAT ended well.

I thought they were ALL credited to you, Your Grace ?
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Norfolk

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on April 17, 2014, 08:37:25 AM
Quote from: Norfolk on April 16, 2014, 10:19:39 PM

Yeah, THAT ended well.

I thought they were ALL credited to you, Your Grace ?

Only by HRM.    ;)

Norfolk

On this date in 1534, Sir Thomas More, Henry VIII's former Lord Chancellor of England, was arrested and confined in the Tower of London for refusing to swear the "Oath of Succession". 

Norfolk

At 11PM on this date in 1509, Henry VII died at Richmond palace.

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: Norfolk on April 17, 2014, 08:46:47 AM
On this date in 1534, Sir Thomas More, Henry VIII's former Lord Chancellor of England, was arrested and confined in the Tower of London for refusing to swear the "Oath of Succession".
Which is covered very well in the fine film "A Man for all Seasons".
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Norfolk

Today is St. George's Day, the day for announcing new appointments to the Most Noble Order Of The Garter, the highest order of chivalry in England.  Membership is limited to the sovereign and 25 of her closest and most trusted advisers.