News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Being in garb/character on the WAY to/from faire?

Started by Finnian, February 01, 2010, 11:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilia the Stupefying

We took several carloads (22) people over to the Louisiana Renaissance Festival last Saturday. My son and I were the only ones in garb. We stopped at a McDonald's in Baton Rouge for a quick breakfast. We got quite a few strange looks, so I figured what the hey, and pulled out my whistle and started playing Nonesuch... That at least got a few smiles.

Drudonn

Normally I drive to TRF already in garb, just adding the last little bits when I get there (hard to get the seatbelt on when wearing a large cloak, I find...). I once pumped gas dressed entirely as V (from V for Vendetta)--I put my wig and mask on before getting out of the car! I got a lot of funny looks for that, from people at the gas station, and from people driving by...traffic slowed down in front of that gas station for some reason...

This year, I'm camping at TRF, so I can get dressed in my tent. Also, my garb is much more complicated than I've ever worn before, so I wouldn't want to drive. Anyway,  I'm going out there friday evening, so there's no point in getting garbed up before I go!

cowgrrl

It depends on the garb.  Bellydancer, steampunk w/o bodice or pirate means 100% dressed before I get there.

Steampunk w/ bodice, or anything that requires my Moresca bodice is usually all done except the bodice.  DH, friends or the Moresca gals (depending on whether or not I need an adjustment) help me get that all put together. 

I normally do not get out of the car when I'm garbed.  Part of it is that I don't like drawing attention to myself & the other part is a bit of the 'bellydancer code' that one does not walk around without a cover-up unless one is performing.  Since a cover-up would stand out just as much as a costume/garb I just stay in the car.

SethB

So far, I have gotten dressed at home since MDRF is only about 45 minutes away and I rather enjoy driving with the top down in a kilt.

Jack Daw at Work

I dress at home.  I wear a great kilt, which is too cumbersome to rig in a parking lot.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Cpt. Black Shadow

Bah. For me its so much easier just getting dressed before I leave for faire which is funny because I sometimes have to take the city bus and yea sometimes I wear a kilt imagine all the attention that gets not to mention i wear kilts properly. :P >.> <.<
I am Captain Black Shadow. Captain of the Pirate Dreadship Katie Marie! MuwahahaHa

Adalia Lee

I have to get dressed in the parking lot once we get there.
For some reason when I was purchasing my hoop skirt, I decided I HAD to have 5 hoops. So that makes riding in a car not only uncomfortable but interesting, and then also my corset is steel boned so sitting in already uncomfortable car seats just adds to the problem.
I wear black cotton leggings and my chemise to the faire, with my hair and makeup already done and then my dear husband laces me into both my corset and my bodice and i have various friends who help me and my gigantic hoop to maneuver through the parking lot. I have gone into gas stations and such sans the hoop skirt and it is always interesting to see peoples reactions. Those brave enough to say something normally compliment me or ask where I am coming from. The rest just stare and whisper  :)