News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Whats on your belt?

Started by WindChime, May 08, 2008, 10:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Elizabeth

I'll see what I can do. He does have a say in it. Afterall it is partially his. However it's just for the day. I could probably let you borrow mine and use my father's for myself. I don't see why David would have any objections to that.

Silverbee

I'm garbing for my first time this August (BC RenFaire):

- small leather pouch
- large leather pouch
- small dagger/knife

I'm sure I'll end up collecting more stuff.  Just reading this thread has me thinking I need to figure out how to carry water with me (probably a wineskin or similar).  I'll be keeping my eyes open for a fan and a tankard as well.

I'd like to ask again what has already been asked and not answered (ha!): what is with the fox tails that some women carry?  And bells?  Inquiring minds, dontcha know!
What a strange power there is in clothing.  ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Amyj

Quote from: Silverbee on July 23, 2008, 08:37:21 PM

I'd like to ask again what has already been asked and not answered (ha!): what is with the fox tails that some women carry?  And bells?  Inquiring minds, dontcha know!

I'm going to jump in and try to give the short answer on this one ('cause the tails one can get really long)...So as far as I know and have gleaned from other people's answers (and my own reasons for wearing said items):
The bells people wear just to give the festive jingly sound...bells just sound like faire ya know?  ;D
Tails are worn just for the fun of it mostly, but some people wear them as an homage/aproximation of a "flea fur" (although, from what I have seen if someone is wearing a flea fur they are usually more intricate than a simple tail).  There can be bawdy suggestions for the tail ("a little tail at faire...") or not. 
Both items are a personal preference and what makes you feel like you have added that "perfect faire touch" to your garb.

Now you will get a million other interpretations for both items, because there ARE a million other interpretations...like I said, it's what feels just right for you.  Go for either and have fun with it!  ;D ;D ;D  Huzzah!

Errr...was that soapboxing???  Felt like it...sorry...first cup of coffee you know.  :P
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Silverbee

Thanks for your answer, Amy!  I had a feeling it was something like that.
What a strange power there is in clothing.  ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Macintyre

Well, being a scot i tend to keep it light. 
1 fox tail
1 mugstrap (mug is usually not on it because it's full of mead and in my hand)
a small strap with a clip on it for my keys
and if i buy something, i'll hang it and the bag that it comes in from my belt
  the sporan has its own chain belt

daylight

Tankard
Two cat tails
pouch
Gun /Gun case
leather strap
I try not ot weight myself down so much, because i have to walk and play with my belt on

wyckdblyss

Ok here goes:

Leather pouch
2 small cloth pouches
"Pewter" mug with mug strap
fox tail
dagger (s)
Lg ring with "skeleton keys" (mainly when in pirate mode though)
will be adding a flask this year

For some reason, I always wind up leaving faire with more things attached to my belt than I walked in the gates with though....go figure
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

remission

Just purchased a nice 0 ring belt off Ebay, so I have that, plus a fwide eather waist belt I found at the mall of all places.

Also hand made a red fringed sash, so I have my mug, leather pouches, replica pirate pistol, empty bottle of rum (depending if I use the mug) and various fringe.

I wish MD let you bring daggers in, I have a a nice one I would wear.

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

We've been slowly putting together a noble class pair of suits for my 11 yr. old nephew for next year's local state festival at Muskogee and Scarby. Some of the accessories (and fabrics) took some time to locate. We've settled on who will make the matching utility belt and baldric but were undecided on a tankard. A fancy wooden one would not fit with the suits. We looked at many companies selling tankards online, but none seemed to be extraordinary. Most were fairly plain and a had interesting Celtic scrollwork. We came across this piece offered out of a antiquities auction house from Sweden and it's being shipped here now. It's solid brass, circa 1840-70. We may have to find a local plastics company to create some type of interior liner so it can be functional (interior shows slight age and corrosion from other photos).

P.S. - He knows if he leaves it on a table anywhere.....he'll be a "dead boy walking"  ;)

Friar Rohn