News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

When your home is your Castle

Started by DonaCatalina, May 28, 2008, 01:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

This was suggested to me by another member.
So I thought I'd see how many castle style homes you guys know about.
http://eagleriverpewter.com/bishop.html
Jim Bishop starting building the Bishop Castle in 1969. What was going to be a stone cottage turned into a castle when friends told Bishop that that's what his cottage looked like.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I and Toki visited this "Castle" last year. Mr Bishop is quite the character. You don't dare bring up politics, religion, law, economics, or life in general as he will go off yelling about the "Dictator Bush"

His Castle can never be lived in as Mr Bishop refuses to pay taxes, or get a licence to build his "Castle" It is also ever changing and growing and makes for a fun visit. Funny how people can rent this place for weddings but I don't think I would want a wedding there with all the dirt, mud, and garbage laying around.

If you come to Colorado for a visit, it's a neat place to stop and climb over and look at this man's hard work. Some parts are very scary to climb on as they shake with the climb and wind.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

knarlyknot

serenamoonsilver

Well, there's this.  Its a castle home built by an SCA couple.

Castle Magic is a company that actually builds castle homes.

The guy who did the Castles of the United States page, has a page on his castle home, Dupont Castle.

Extreme Homes & Offbeat America on HGTV sometimes feature castles, like this, or this

DonaCatalina

Upper Dorchester in New Brunswick
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

silverstah

There's Gimghoul Castle in Chapel Hill, NC.

The castle, located on Gimghoul Road in Chapel Hill and originally known as Hippol Castle, is said to have taken somewhere between 4 and 6 years to build, beginning in the early 1920s, at a cost of $50,000. Legend claims that atisans from France were hired to painstakingly cut the 1,300 tons of stones used to construct it. Gimghoul Castle is listed in the International Registry of Castles and the North Carolina Historical Society.
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

jmkhalfmoon

My sister lives about 2 houses down from this castle house museum.  I've never been inside but I should go next I'm in town.

http://mariettacastle.org/

Fine day to you all,
Lady Jayne

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

There is a Castle home also in Masonville, CO (North west of Loveland, South west of Ft Collins) I used to live down the road by where it is now built. I even used to explore in that same space. It is off the road and would be hard to photograph, but maybe I can dig up a camera (Mine is DOA right now) and try to get one.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

DonaCatalina

Mahopac Castle - Unique large estate home for sale - $565,000
http://mahopaccastle.com/
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Marietta Graziella

Our home is certainly not on par with those already listed but, it is our castle, and we love it.  ;D
What you see (sort of) to the left is the carport and 3 car garage with apartment above.

Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

DonaCatalina

This is the Castello de Amorosa winery in California

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Sir William Marcus

Outstanding fortesses! Although, not much protection from a properly executed seige. Regardless, I like them all!

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

DonaCatalina

Curwood Castle is located in Owosso Michigan.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Aelwyn

Quote from: DonaCatalina on June 06, 2008, 09:49:47 AM
Curwood Castle is located in Owosso Michigan.

Out of all, I love this the best.  It's majestic, but has that touch of coziness and whimsy.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*
Find me on Facebook as Aelwyn Daeira
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*