News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Did they exist?

Started by bran_gray, February 04, 2010, 07:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracconia

If you are looking for mercenaries of the Tudor era you would have better luck during Elizabeth's reign than her fathers. Francis Drake, Walter Raleigh, John Hawkins.... http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/pirates/pirates1.html

There is a link to some more information. I hope this helps.
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Frederic

Well, I do know that there was a contingent of English mercenary bowmen employed by Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy in the late 15th Cent., but they disappeared after Charles was killed at Nancy in 1477, so that's a bit before your target period.  However, if you look at what was going on at the time of Elizabeth, Protestants in England were very interested in the religious wars in Germany and the Netherlands.  Several of the gentlemen at the Tudor court were veterans of these wars, but they appeared to serve in ones and twos - no large English companies that I know of.

Merchant of the Hansa, Procurer to the Queen, and complete scoundrel

Poldugarian Warrior

groomporter is right again I just finished reading some books on the armies of Medieval and renaissance Poland, and there were several units of Scots, Irish, English, and German mercenaries, there because they were bonded by the common catholic religion at that time in that region and they all were fighting the Turks whom sought to enter Northern Europe through Central/Eastern Europe, and they all thought if they could stop them there then they wouldn't have to fight them in their nations.

Yawehtah

I understand you are trying to find information on mercenaries of the Tudor era and all you keep finding is European groups that were quite well known.

If you are asking if mercenaries are from England? My answer is yes. But, mercenaries are from every country and culture and tribe and/or clan in the world.

Myself as Yahwehtah am a mercenary also, but I am a mercenary of religion. A mercenary is just a soldier or otherwise noted, to work on behalf of a foreign army in his own self righteous glory, in whatever he may choose to be so. For example, Septimius Severus the Roman Emperor who 'could' have been from England to rule Rome did it for England.

hope this helps, ok?

Yawehtah " Hath the Way "