News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I could really use some help/advice.

Started by Sir. Kindle, May 04, 2009, 02:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Catherine

I am so glad it will work out!

I, too, loved my dress, it is beautifully done and very well made.

It has had no problems, what with washing every day for the month faire run, and now it is on it's second person, as I have lost too much weight to wear it this year.    ;)

* I did mean to say, I hope that I did not make you feel I was demeaning your choice. I firmly feel you made a great one, based on her talent and craftsmanship. She makes lovely garnments, especially for what she charges! I do apologize if I came across that way.
2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: Lady Catherine on May 07, 2009, 06:26:47 PM
I am so glad it will work out!

I, too, loved my dress, it is beautifully done and very well made.

It has had no problems, what with washing every day for the month faire run, and now it is on it's second person, as I have lost too much weight to wear it this year.    ;)

* I did mean to say, I hope that I did not make you feel I was demeaning your choice. I firmly feel you made a great one, based on her talent and craftsmanship. She makes lovely garnments, especially for what she charges! I do apologize if I came across that way.

Thank you for the response. As I said, I'm sure that nobody who responded meant to be hurtful, it just came across that way to me. I also understand that the comments were made as a warning for future purchases and they were not regarding the purchase I had already made. I guess I was a bit sensitive about this subject. It hurts a bit to read that something you invested a lot of anxiety, time, and money into isn't worth it, or isn't as good as something else you could've spent the money on...that's a bit tough to hear.

Anyway, I must say that I hope MY comments didn't upset anyone. I was just trying to convey how some of the responses made me feel. I wasn't trying to anger, hurt, or condemn anyone.

as for this;

"and now it is on it's second person, as I have lost too much weight to wear it this year.    ;)"

This is always a good reason for passing on clothes.  ;D

Vain

I read in the middle of replying to this thread, about how I have not herd from her in 13 days and right as I finished up she emailed me!  She is going throw some medical things that are not good at all so just give her time... She has my pants and shirt done and says she will ship it tomorrow and is waiting on the trip to finish my doublet.  So I will update you all as it comes...
I be Lord Bane Vainglorious. Thou art lucky to be reading my words for I speak very little to those who art less than I.

CapnFayeCutler

Well being that my brother paid for his garb back in January, recent medical reasons or not his garb should have gotten here a long time ago. I'm telling him to email her again today. :(
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

SleepyArcher

She makes good stuff just takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to get it.

Lady Kathleen does wonderous work but what she offered me to make what I wanted was too much out of my price range. I know the ole saying "you get what you pay for". someday I hope to be able to afford something from her as she lives close to me.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Sleepy!!!

I am sure we can work something out when the time comes.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

SleepyArcher

I'm sure we could. Please don't take what I say in jest. You do wonderful work. I mean no harm me lady.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

CapnFayeCutler

Hey you guys, my brother finally got his garb today from this vendor. I don't know if he's tried it on yet but the pants I know will fit him. I'll make him try on the doublet tonight. I must say it is really pretty and the quality is great. Now I just need to bling it up. Mwuahahaha! Yay for jewelry!
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575

LadyShadow

Cant wait to see pics of him in it.  Yeah for garb!!
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

While I was in Oklahoma attending the Renaissance Festival at the Castle in Muskogee, Friar Rohn took me over to the Costume Shop where he donated the Doublet, Slops, and shirt he had paid for that his nephew wore only once made by the vendor in question.

I looked over the overall workmanship. Not bad, but not accurate either for what Rohn had asked for. He had been specific as to what he wanted for his nephew that would last for several years. He had submitted photos of what he wanted.

Way too many grommets for a Doublet that should either button or clasp down the front. The sleeves were attached in a pane only  style that had grommets at the cuffs as well. Friar Rohn had asked for detachable sleeves like those seen Custom made Doublets. There was not enough room for growth for width or length.

The slops were not what I even expected Slops to look like, based on paintings and research. The waist and leg bands were nothing more than wide casings for elastic. I do not recall elastic being used for period clothing then. No front opening that could accommodate a young man for when Nature called.

The Elizabethan shirt was nothing more than a Pirate shirt with gathered ruffles rather than with Box Pleated Ruffs that he had requested.

I apologize for sounding  harsh here. Friar Rohn had asked me to take a long hard  look at the ensemble and then give my assessment.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

CapnFayeCutler

My brother's ensemble: The slops fit fine, the doublet fits fine in the shoulders and chest (thank goodness - that's the hardest part to fit on him), but yeah, the waist....no so much. I cannot decide if it's the wrong size or if my bro grew a little bit round the middle since he bought the piece... I'm thinking maybe a little of both. I'm pretty sure I can fix it though... Any ideas, other than having to add a small panel to the sides?
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575

DonaCatalina

If there is a waist band you may have problems adding to the girth. But yes, adding a panel to the sides
is your best bet.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

CapnFayeCutler

Thankfully, no waist band. ^_^ It's very good to hear that putting a small panel in would probably work. Luckily the fabric that would need the panel is black so you won't be able to see the funky seams from far away.
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575