News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Parasols and Fans

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, May 28, 2008, 02:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margaret

I made my own fan out of an old, decorative dowel, some plastic canvas, hot glue and ostrich feathers.  I don't have a picutre of it, but I can get one up if needed.

I need to get my hands on a parasol too.  For me, if it means sun protection, historical accuracy can go and take a jump in the lake.   :D
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

gem

Hobby Lobby has coated parasols right now, in bright primary colors (red, orange, lime green, purple, turquoise, and fuchsia, IIRC).  They run about $4.95.  The only reason I haven't picked one up is I can't figure out an appropriate color.  :-\

LadyElizabeth

So I'm going to put material on top of a parasol I bought so it will match my new outfit.  THe material is actually water proof fabric for table clothes and stuff.  I'm quite excited to see if it will turn out well, the thought is good I think...
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Marietta Graziella

I bought a marvelously UN-historical ;) cloth parasol from Worlde Market last fall.  Haven't gotten to use it but it has wonderful rich color and a black underlining to I will be well shaded.  I'll try to get a pic.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Scarlett

I have two lace parasols, one black, one white.  They did not come with any type of sleeve or holder so I REALLY like that arm bracer idea.  I hated having to carry it around all day so I am definitely incorporating the arm bracer this season!

As for fans, I have a wooden one. 
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Baroness de Vale

I have two types of fans. One is wooden with little cut outs and is my favorite. The other is just a paper fan with wooden spines that I keep in the car in case I forget mine. The paper one I bought from Oriental Trading as a batch of about a dozen for just a few dollars. I also let my girls who are 7 and 3 carry the paper ones because it's no big deal if they are broken. My husband made me a thin pouch for my fan so I can safely hang it from my belt when I don't need it and it won't get broken.
As for parasols, I have a paper one (also from Oriental Trading). I'm hoping to buy one of the fabric parasols soon. My 7 year old has a parasol like mine except with bright pink nylon instead of paper. We bought it at the local flea market for a couple of dollars. I would have gotten one myself but they only had bright blue and pink. But for a little girl it's perfect because it is less likely to break.
I agree with Scarlett that the arm bracer idea is brilliant!

Adriana Rose

I really need to find a fan that will last.. I always break my feather fans!  Last season I gave up and used a fly swatter! ;D

Nailin

Anyone know of a vendor that has sturdy parasols? my wooden one broke this year it was only 5$
i finally had gotten the chance to use it this past weekend
i wish there was one that had metal support on a wooden handle
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Nailin on April 07, 2009, 09:47:08 PM
Anyone know of a vendor that has sturdy parasols? my wooden one broke this year it was only 5$
i finally had gotten the chance to use it this past weekend
i wish there was one that had metal support on a wooden handle

I bought my lacy fabric parasol on Ebay.  I can't remember the vendor, but he has many of them in different sizes and colors.  It has a wooden handle but the spikes on the top of the umbrella are metal.  It seems very sturdy.  If someone doesn't like the idea of the metal (and it doesn't show unless you lean the parasol back or hold it up very high above head level), I was told you could wrap it with embroidery floss, but heavens knows, I don't have the patience to do that, so I let it be.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Blue66669

Ok, so there's a vendor out at TRF that sells treated waterproof parasols. Seriously, I've had mine for 3 seasons already, and it's survived the TN RenDezvous downpour, as well as many other HORRIBLE conditions.

Took a lickin and kept on tickin...
Blaidd Drwg

Nailin

Texas is a bit too far for me - I'm an east coast rennie - I do want to try to buy in person so I know what I am getting
instead of being surprised in the mail - Can someone kindly explain fabric parasols?
I can't recall if a shop at Maryland/Revel Grove sells fabric or paper
I do plan on invading with others to VARF/TNRF/KYHRF and of course MDRF so if there are any vendors there
that anyone knows of please post
I try to aim for HA but sun protection and staying dry for health & vanity (i admit it i love walking around with it)
Has anyone ordered from this site?
http://asianideas.com/copapa.html
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

renniemommy

oh how I love my paper parasol. I am soooo sensitive to sun that I really can't do without it. It's essential in florida and most definitly at Pennsic. I could probably use an upgrade but, the paper ones are inexpensive and can be hand painted for an added fun touch.
moming and renning go together like scotch eggs and mustard

Sitara

Oh!  That is exactly what I need!  I broke my fan and need to make a new one.  Those would stand up to spillage much better than the paper ones.

Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Celtic_Fae

Other than Sapphire and Sage, who is a reputable feather fan vendor online? I'm looking for one that has a mirror, if possible.