News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Childrens Garb

Started by Ambrosine, February 07, 2010, 03:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrosine

I have just started making my own childrens garb since I can not seem to find any vendors that give a good selection or variety of clothing. Has any one found a good vendor out there? Perhaps it would be a good niche market to get into? Would there be others interested in a vendor that is strictly for children? I may be finding myself unemployed here soon so I'm trying to think of other ways to start earning an income and would love to finally put my fashion design degree to work! Any suggetions? Anything people have been looking for that they have been unable to find for their little ones?

This truthfully just popped into my head today as I finshed my 2 yr olds new pants for BARF this coming weekend. My husband, brother and room mate all said this may be a good idea for me today at different times so I know it wasn't just them agreeing with each other. It would be a very enjoyable way to spend my time but is there enough desire out there for this?
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

TheAlchemistsStar

I think it's an untapped market, personally.  My daughter is 10 and stuck "in between" sizes right now.  We bought an Irish dress and chemise from Renstore.com last year but both are a bit too small now.  I would love to be able to buy children's garb online, especially if there were a custom option.  I'm a member of www.etsy.com which is a great place to start an online shop.  There are a great many garbers on Etsy but all seem to be adult shops. 

Fortunately, my daughter is close enough to the adult sizes that we might be able to get away with it.  It's the families with very small children that are especially hurting for garb.  I don't think I've ever seen anything toddler sized. 
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

Adriana Rose

DECENTLY priced and made childrens clothing is non existant. It would be nice to see some.

I make all my little guys garb, he grows like a weed. So I just make it all for him, its MUCH cheaper that way.

Finnian

Etsy.com actually has a LOT of kid's sized stuff, so definitely search there. :)

Ambrosine

I just finished making my sons bloomers and when I looked at them I figured he should be able to get at least two years wear out of them the way I made them. So I'm trying to think of things that I can make that will grow with the child a little so that we are not spending money every faire season. The tunic I made him last year fit more like a robe ( you can see it in my picture) but this year fits him perfect as a tunic. I'm also going to try making him a little belt with a sword holder for his wooden sword. I just know that every time I have looked for things it has been a real struggle for the toddler sizing. I have seen some things for children but they have typically started at size 6. My son has been going to fair since he was an infant and I have always had him in garb.

Adriana: I completely agree that the pricing has to be good. When I have seen something even for my 9 yr old daughter half the time I do not want to spend the ridiculous price on the tags because I know she will grow out of it. I'm thinking of pants for maybe $20, tunics for $20 and maybe if they are purchased together I'll mark them to $30 for the set? If the child gets to wear them for at least two seasons of fair you look that maybe you spent $15 per year and if it last even longer YIPPEE!

Ambrosine

So I went through etsy.com, all 105 pages of childrens costume section and while they do have a lot of things for a ballarina's or princessed it is not offering very much to our little squires or page boys  ;) But I  would like to try and find more people interested in this before I start something up. My Mother in-law is very gung ho about this and wants to go buy bolts of fabric and get this started. My husband is actually starting to develop names and a logo. I like to plan a little more and research things before I jump into it. So any one with input I would gladly listen!

I'm going to see If I can get a picture of my little one in his pants tonight to post.

TheAlchemistsStar

That's my issue w/ Etsy for kid's garb.  There's lots of tutus and princess items but not much if anything for traditional Ren wear.  I like the chemise/overdress combo since it's simple but I don't want an expensive material since daughter usually gets dirty and sweaty at faire.
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

Hoowil

I make stuff for our little ones, but I have spoken to garb merchants on occasion about kids garb. They generally have the same comment: the cost of making it quality makes it hard to sell for kids that might not be able to wear it for even a whole season. That said, last faire we went to, my family was pulled out of a crowd by the new owners of Past & Peasant ( pastandpeasant.net ), one of the CA area garb merchants, who asked about doing kids garb. After speaking with them for a fair while, they said that they intended to try kids garb on a trial run this coming season. They were going to try things like irish dresses, simple tunics, and the like where sizes could be a little more forgiving/adjustable. I don't see anything about it on their site now, so I don't know if they followed thru. Their adult size garb is not too pricey, so I would hope the kids stuff would be even lower.

On another note, I have seen a few merchants who stock some assorted kids' stuff. At Valhalla their was a merchant who had muffin hats in 1/2 inch size increments, starting small enought to fit my son who was only 2 months old. I've also seen a couple merchants with bins of stuff out front of their tents, with things like girl's shoes down into toddler sizes. Most leather workers I've seen have boots and such down to toddler sizes. Just keep an eye out, you might find things in the oddest places, and not necassarily at stalls/tents of garb merchants.

If you want to sew your own, kids stuff can be fun,  if a bit challenging in ways you don't expect ( think very small, tight spaces) . I try to make each set I make a little more quality and/or try new techiques.Its practice, and especially as my kids are still small ( 3, and under 1) it can be cheap. Most fabric I get as remnants, or use scraps. At worst I may have to buy a yard of something, or some trim.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Adriana Rose

Boy are stuck with the short end too lol.

I have a tip too, I have used old pillow slips that I find at the second hand store for like 25cents a pop. Sheets are great too and still just as cheap.

infants too, but they can pull of the onsie with no worries and be cute as a button none the less.

Ambrosine

Quote from: Hoowil on February 08, 2010, 07:18:05 PM
If you want to sew your own, kids stuff can be fun,  if a bit challenging in ways you don't expect ( think very small, tight spaces) .

I have been sewing since I was 8 years old. I started on making my own Barbies clothing since I was the youngest of 6 children, and my barbies apparel was never high on shopping lists. So  definetly I am used to sewing tight places  ;D Also I have a fashion degree and can do just about everything on my own from pattern making to sewing (I'm just bad with those super stretchy fabrics).

I really would love to see more traditional fabrics on the childrens costumes, So far all my sons outfits have been made of linen, muslin and twill. Everything must be machine washable in my house! Including the GARB! Since our little ones are playing in the dirt half the time at festival, staining is going to happen.

Baroness de Vale

I definitely agree with those stretchy fabrics. What a pain! I have found broadcloth and kona cotton makes great garb for little ones. Soft, lots of pretty colors to satisfy two girls, and machine washable. You're right about kids playing in the dirt half the time. If it's not that, then it's accidents with drinks, food, mud, etc. Although I make my girls' garb, I know several people who would be interested in being able to buy it ready made. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

something to chime in here.  M'Lady makes our 10 year old  son's garb - moslty for the reasons stated as far as cost and growing out of it so fast.  We are headed to faire this weekend and found a great deal on boots at a local clothing store that is clearancing women's winter boots.  Found 2 pairs that will work great - total cost around $25.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Adriana Rose

Quote from: Lady Raven on February 09, 2010, 09:14:18 AM
! Since our little ones are playing in the dirt half the time at festival, staining is going to happen.

Yup that happens lol.
My little guy has stains on the rump of all his faire pants. It adds to the look if you ask me ( since they are super bonded in)

Steev

For young girls, at least, I'm  going to advocate Ilona at Magicmyst.com.   She made 2 wonderful dresses for our (at the time) 4- and 6-year-olds.  Not only was the garb wonderful, it was made in such a way that we could let it out as the girls got bigger.  We were able to get 3 years of use out of the dresses before we had to size up.  Highly recommend for girls (and women). Don't know about boys.
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

Aelynn of Georgina

I think it's a great idea!  Keep cost down by using simple, washable fabrics.  If you can make items with a little extra hem so it can be turned down in case of a growth spurt that would be even better.  How about double knees on boys pants?  If you can build in as many adjustabilities and other considerations for children's clothing, you'll be a hit!

Good luck and keep us posted!