News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Childrens Garb

Started by Ambrosine, February 07, 2010, 03:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steev

the best "let out" function was multiple grommets on the bands that went over the shoulders.  That, coupled with loose chemises and lacing in front that could be loosened as the girls got bigger were the big factors in getting multiple years out of the dresses.
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

gem

You can also add rows of tucks to the bottoms of tunics/skirts/shirts/chemises, so that the length can be let out (an inch at a time or so) as the kids grow.

I'd like to add a suggestion that is sort of related, if not exactly dead on topic.  What about adding some easy maternity options?  People with little ones are often making *more* little ones, and hardly anyone makes dedicated maternity garb.

Ambrosine

I'm looking at doing things with grommets and drawstrings to make them as adjustable as possible. We have opening weekend here at BARF Saturday so I will take some pictures of my son's new outfit and post them. It will also test the durabilty of his new pants and I'm sure they will need a good washing after the first weekend. I plan on making a fabric store trip as well to check out the best possible fabrics and price things out sooo.. Stay tuned for more!

Thanks for everyones feed back and keep it coming, its all very useful information for me!
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

Ambrosine

Quote from: gem on February 10, 2010, 03:45:03 PM
I'd like to add a suggestion that is sort of related, if not exactly dead on topic.  What about adding some easy maternity options?  People with little ones are often making *more* little ones, and hardly anyone makes dedicated maternity garb.

Hmmmm That would be a good idea as well. I'll start looking into that as well. So far I'm throwing some names around for the line. My husband has come up with " FairKins"

Kate XXXXXX

If you intend to make stuff to sell for kids, you really REALLY need to read this:

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/cpsia-requirements/

It WILL apply to you, and you WILL have to comply.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

Not wanting to rain on you parade, but this has to be considered.

Ambrosine

Kate: Thank you for sharing this with me. It is a little on the confusing side once I started to look into it more. I see a lot of very conflicting information some stating that yes small businesses such as what I'm thinking of doing are being affected but I also see that its not for people like me who are going to be creating home sewn garments for those asking me to?

Has any one else looked into this issue? I would love some more insight.

On another note my husband has created a website already for me. It's very basic and only has a picture of my sons current outfit. I would love to have some feedback on the lay out, it still needs to be tweaked a lot but the site is www.fairekins.com

I'm going to be getting some more made and steal my friends children for a photoshoot soon so I can display more of my creations very soon!

Kate XXXXXX

It's not something I've looked into seriously as I don't intend to get into manufacturing and only make for private clients, and don't sell in the USA.  There is still some debate about whether or not it applies to dressmakers making bespoke things, and even to granny making a present for the new baby!  It's bonkers, and taking a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.  It was supposed to protect kids from cheap crap imported from China and places like that, and often sub standard and even dangerous.  It's clobbered the small artizan businesses, and many have given up already.  You need to be aware of the rsamifications in case it DOES apply, as you cannot plead ignorance.

Sabrina Black

I'm due in May with my first son and my husband and I are thinking about bringing him to TRF for his first faire.  I'm already getting into making him some mundane clothes, so I'd love to start planning garb also.  Can anyone give me some ideas for cute baby boy garb that isn't terribly difficult or costly to make?
Wench-in-training

Hoowil

great kilts. A yard to two of plaid, and you're good to go. Thats what we're putting my 10 month old in.
This is what I did last time, but while cheap, I'd not clasify it as not too dificult.

Never again will I do a pipe trimmed, lined doublet, with arm holes I can fit 3 fingers thru.....
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Trillium

Quote from: Sabrina Black on February 27, 2010, 05:38:47 PM
I'm due in May with my first son and my husband and I are thinking about bringing him to TRF for his first faire.  I'm already getting into making him some mundane clothes, so I'd love to start planning garb also.  Can anyone give me some ideas for cute baby boy garb that isn't terribly difficult or costly to make?
I made barbarian garb for our son's first trip to TRF at 6 months.  Just made some simple shorts and a vest and braided some scrap fabric for a belt. If it'll be later in the season, make it pants and add a simple shirt or long sleeve onesy underneath.  Made the whole thing with remnants, cost less than $5!
Got faerie dust?

Adriana Rose

I ordered jumpers from www.dharmatrading.com and dyed them and sewed on appliques for my little ones first year at fair.

Sabrina Black

Quote from: Hoowil on February 27, 2010, 07:53:20 PM
great kilts. A yard to two of plaid, and you're good to go. Thats what we're putting my 10 month old in.
This is what I did last time, but while cheap, I'd not clasify it as not too dificult.

Never again will I do a pipe trimmed, lined doublet, with arm holes I can fit 3 fingers thru.....

Thanks for the idea :)  I do have to say that even if that outfit wasn't very easy to make, he certainly looks totally adorable in it :D
Wench-in-training

Sabrina Black

Thanks for the ideas y'all!  I'm definitely going to be trying them out :D
Wench-in-training

Hoowil

My only other suggestion, is make something that is either extremely simple to make, or that is usable over a large size range. My daughter's first few years, I had to make something for each faire because she was groing so fast. That outfit for my son, I made knowing it was for our last faire of the year, and he'd never be able to wear it again. One of these days, when I have the time, and nothing more pressing on my project list, I'll make a teddy bear that that outfit will fit, and he'll get something special to keep forever. I've kept some of my daughter's early garb for the same reason.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Sitara

I put my stepson's first armour on a stuffed animal too.  It's adorable and a reminder of how tiny he was then.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!