News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Corded corsets and the things we wear over them...

Started by gem, February 09, 2010, 03:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyharrogate

Now I really want to make a corded corset, and that beautiful burgundy velvet gown.  Thanks for all the wonderful info!

Mythrin

QuoteThough in general the surface looks very smooth and nice, you really need to see it in a specific light to notice.

This is my experience, I laid the linen of my Flemish under-gown directly on top of the corded under bodice. Yes you can see the channels in the right light, but it works well for this level garb.  I I were to do it again for a more upper class garb I would put a lining layer.
Chris
Founding member of the Living History Company

"go Secret Squirrels"

amy

I am guessing this is not recommended for us ladies of the South  ;D

Mythrin

St Louis can hold it on on the heat and humidity "meter" and a lot of our court ladies have gone to corded corsets for the comfort, coolness and support.  They are mixing hemp with hard boning and getting good results.  I have not have any issues with mine which is entirely corded, the heat is able to escape between the channels OK and even if it gets a bit warm under it I have never had it get that unpleasant wet/clammy feeling.  So, I would not automatically eliminate it as a warm weather options.  I might not put a heavy lining layer between the cords and a fashion fabric though.
Chris
Founding member of the Living History Company

"go Secret Squirrels"

gem

Just a quick tiny update. I'm working on a corded bodice mockup now, and didn't want to fuss with the "crimpy" cord left over from my corset--so I steam-ironed it!  And Kate & Mythrin were absolutely correct: it ironed beautifully. It's now cooling off in beautiful soft large loops on my ironing board.

Kate XXXXXX

Ironing string: obviously a sensible pass-time for the bored housewife!   ;D

Yes, it really DOES work - you end up with straight string rather than crinkles.

One good way to keep it under control as you iron it is to wind it (gently!  Not too much tension!) round a wide flat board.  A bit of thin ply is excellent for this.  And puff a bit of steam at it after pressing so it doesn't get too flattened by the pressing process.