News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Work in Progress: Instruction Manual for First Time RenFest Goers

Started by LibraryPrincess, October 19, 2011, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiss-me-Kate

I concur on the Scotch Eggs.  I say that because our Scotch Egg booth burned to the ground, closing weekend.   :'(

And yes, if  you are at the last show of the day, or at certain acts, that are VERY bawdy- for the love of God, don't bring your kid.  AND if you do,  DON"T have the nerve to get offended and storm off in righteous indignation. 
The show my daughter performs with, is VERY bawdy, and that fact is stressed A LOT before they begin.   They still get the dumb arses that complain to management about it not being "family friendly" and their little precious heard something inappropriate.   

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

nomad

If you plan on camping... be sure to bring a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

otherwise everybody seems to have covered it all.
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

Sir Michael Geare

Whatever happened to this?  Just wondering if it was ever completed.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

The Bruce of Springstein

Get some friends, garb, and camp. If you do that the first time you will be hooked. Then you will start going to other faires. Then you will start a clan, spend all day posting to strangers on scarcely visited forums about ren fest books etc.. Before you know it, your life revolves around when faire seasons begin and end, and how to get a fix through Game of Thrones, Vikings, Skyrim or LoTR re-runs.

ON second thought. Maybe this should go in the CSD-1 under addictions...
Drink from the Horn!! Horn High Council Ballbarian Lord
Shame Thyself!
Made to Slay
Member of 'The Wrong One'

609wood

Buy yourself something small. That music CD, earrings or scarf can be enjoyed long after the fair is over. Turn off the magick box (cell phone). Even for pictures it's a distraction. Find, beg borrow or buy a cup of some sort. Adult beverages seem far more authentic when drunk from "your cup".  Most of all don't take yourself so seriously. It's time to relax and get into the spirit. Maybe get a massage, shoot a bow or throw a knife or two. The more you participate the more fun you will have. This includes pigging out! 

Dinobabe

Quote from: 609wood on September 17, 2013, 10:38:45 PM
Most of all don't take yourself so seriously. It's time to relax and get into the spirit.

YES!!  This is a Ren Faire.  Don't expect it to be a shopping mall, Disney World, or a historical reenactment.  And if you really don't like it (I guess there are those people out there) then don't criticize everything in sight in a very loud voice. :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rowan MacD

Amen to that last bit.
  If you try it, and find you really, really don't want to be at the faire, then leave.  Please.  You don't ever have to come back and no one will force you to; we promise. 
Just don't spoil the experience for the people around you.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

My son... I love him, but... he is a historian, and has an issue with Ren faires because they aren't HA.... He lives with it... or he gets flogged...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

Quote from: The Bruce of Springstein on September 17, 2013, 03:34:38 PM
Get some friends, garb, and camp. If you do that the first time you will be hooked. Then you will start going to other faires. Then you will start a clan, spend all day posting to strangers on scarcely visited forums about ren fest books etc.. Before you know it, your life revolves around when faire seasons begin and end, and how to get a fix through Game of Thrones, Vikings, Skyrim or LoTR re-runs.

ON second thought. Maybe this should go in the CSD-1 under addictions...
I don't think I know you. But many of the people on this forums are not strangers to me.  :)

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LibraryPrincess

Quote from: Sir Michael Geare on September 11, 2013, 10:57:19 PM

It was completed, but not in the manner that I would have preferred. This was a class assignment, and according to my professor, the scope I was looking at was a bit too large for the little project he had in mind. There was a page limit, and he didn't think that you could do an instruction manual on How to Enjoy Faire, so it ended up being a step-by-step instruction manual on how to order TRF tickets online, with a quick bonus section on how to prepare for your faire experience (which included a few of the points you all offered).

But I suppose this thread is good to have around, since all of you have chimed in with excellent advice. You have my thanks. ^_^
Texas Renaissance Festival
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee
Scarborough Renaissance Festival

Craigmeister

1)  Bring $1 or $5 bills for tipping the entertainers.

2)  Belt out a hearty "Huzzah" when you see or hear something entertaining!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

PollyPoPo

Quote from: LibraryPrincess on September 25, 2013, 09:25:04 PM
Quote from: Sir Michael Geare on September 11, 2013, 10:57:19 PM

It was completed, but not in the manner that I would have preferred. This was a class assignment, and according to my professor, the scope I was looking at was a bit too large for the little project he had in mind. There was a page limit, and he didn't think that you could do an instruction manual on How to Enjoy Faire, so it ended up being a step-by-step instruction manual on how to order TRF tickets online, with a quick bonus section on how to prepare for your faire experience (which included a few of the points you all offered).

But I suppose this thread is good to have around, since all of you have chimed in with excellent advice. You have my thanks. ^_^

AH HA!  And, LibraryPrincess, you had the additional lesson in how to edit, edit, edit.

I believe there have been several attempts to write an instruction/advice manual for newbies going to RenFaires, but they all seem to just go away after a while.  It is possible that the authors start writing about what they think is relevant, then as they have questions start researching and asking others. 

Sooner or later they realize faires come in many sizes, many locations, many themes.  A few basic suggestions work for all (like wearing shoes suitable for the terrain and how to keep warm or cold depending on climate).  Some suggestions might only apply to certain faires.  The writer begins to see the true scope of such an endeavor in trying to explain renfaire to anyone who has not been. 

Everyone brings to faire some unique perspective and leaves with an adjusted point of view, whether they are enthralled or repelled by faire. 

In short, the only advice I can give to someone is to walk through the gate or doorway once.  After that you will never be a newbie again. 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)