News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Most annoying question at faire? and your answer.

Started by Queen Bonnie, February 14, 2010, 03:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen_of_Navarre

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on February 25, 2010, 06:15:16 AM
Our home faire is Minnesota, but we have been adopted by Colorado, becoming the "Nontourage" with the group that Butch met.  Columbus day weekend we will be accompanied for sure by the Baron and Baroness, and hopefully all the others.

I love that word...

Entouge : a group of people attending or surrounding an important person : an entourage of bodyguards.
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: French, from entourer 'to surround.'

Nontourag: a free thinking group of people who do not belong to, or those who do not wish to be, a part of the royal hangeroners.
: a nontouge of the unseen court was spotted at Sherwood Forest Faire.
ORIGIN early 21st cent: French, from Renaissance Festival from Nontouge "to not to toady ( a person who behaves obsequiously to someone important)
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Bonny Pearl

Not that this question is annoying, but people tend to ask me what the fur tails are about that a lot of us wear.  Some people think it has some sort of shall we say 'flirty' meaning to it.

So I bust their rated 'r' and sometimes 'x' bubble and tell them no, it was a belief that wearing fur would keep those little biting critters off of the skin and so on.  Funny, some seem rather dissapointed when they hear that.  Geez  ::)  :D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

ladylissame

I get that one a lot too. We give that response as well.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Butch on February 25, 2010, 10:29:57 PM
Well, we'll see who comes with us this year.  I just retired from the Marines, so we probably won't have a group singing "Don't Forget Your Old Shipmate!" again this year.  At least some Frenchie with blue hair will be staggering around!

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on February 25, 2010, 06:15:16 AM

Don't forget Butch and his 'tourage

excellent, more the merrier. a nice rowdy group hanging out at the 3 lions for the pub sing sounds awesome to me!!!

Butch

Yeah, man, I'll be there.  Like last year, as the KCRF gets closer, we'll coordinate our meet on the Midwest board, below!

Ken

I get asked practically every weekend if I have a "real job".  I tell them that, while I do work for my local school district (at this their eyes usually widen slightly), running a shop at the faire is at least as lucrative and I don't have to work at hard.  They usually gape slightly and shake their heads in disbelief.  I wonder if some of them aren't secretly jealous and wondering if maybe they made the wrong career choice.   ;D

I wouldn't categorize this question as strictly annoying, but it does get a little tiring to have to answer it several times a day, almost every day.
"Mom, Dad...I'm Gaelic."
As never seen in Renaissance Magazine.

SirRichardBear

The most annoying question was someone asked me what type of wine I had in my flask I'm wearing a kilt and you think I have wine in my flask?  Nothing but single malt and nothing younger than I could legally date.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Seleyna Eirian

The most common question I seem to get is, "Do they stay put?" and "How do you breathe?" And in response to the first question, I'll make a little show as to how they 'stay put,' by giving them a little bow; and how do I breathe? "Very, very carefully..."
wench #3888
loveland castleteer
peacock . gypsy . pirate

ladylissame

Yea, my own mother even asks is they will stay put......

I also get "Is that comfortable?" I tell them it is. Very good for my back.

Al-Nimer

I was asked today (at Four Winds) "What are YOU smiling about?"  I was in a hurry, and it caught me off-guard, so I just said nothing and kept walking.  I should have said "What's NOT to smile about?  You're at a Ren Faire on a beautiful day!  What more could you ask for?"   ;D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Dinobabe

Quote from: Al-Nimer on March 13, 2010, 11:20:15 PM
I was asked today (at Four Winds) "What are YOU smiling about?"  I was in a hurry, and it caught me off-guard, so I just said nothing and kept walking.  I should have said "What's NOT to smile about?  You're at a Ren Faire on a beautiful day!  What more could you ask for?"   ;D

Wow!  I wonder what was up that person's craw to ask that! ::)
I am almost always smiling, even on a bad day! ;D  Life is good, it could be worse, why not smile!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

SirRichardBear

They need to attend the history custom and manners lecture they did have papers in those days and you had better have the correct papers or else.

Reminded a one today.  Is that sword real?  hear that question about ever death march even had a mother tell yer child of course they're not real they aren't allowed to carry real swords.  Came closer to breaking the regiment rule on that then anything else.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Lady Christina de Pond

well mine isn't so annoying as it is funny i went to ren fest the other year with a friend of mine and her Mother and little brother and her older brother his wife and thier two small ones. well the boys didn't take long to notice that I had a sword and they wanted one as well they were told that they couldn't have a real one but a wooden one when one of the little boys looked at me and said " why do you get to have a real sword?"
he was only 4 so i told him that i was old enough to have one
now if he was a snide teen i would have told him because my dad didn't tell me i couldn't
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

DonaCatalina

Black velvet gown, full length chemise, heavy black cloak with hood and gloves; then someone in jeans and a light jacket asks me if I'm cold just because its 50 degrees.

I just said only half as cold as your are. They wandered away puzzled so i don't think they got it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

angusmacinnes

Admit it Dona you were probably sweating in that at 50 degrees.  ;D
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.