News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Most annoying question at faire? and your answer.

Started by Queen Bonnie, February 14, 2010, 03:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daggrim

The first shield I made was made from very heavy cardboard, almost like plywood, and I painted it to look like wooden boards...a Viking shield.  Someone came up to me and asked to see it, so I handed it over, and told him what it was.  He looked at me disbelievingly and told me it was made out of wood paneling.  I told him that I'd made it myself, and assured him it was just heavy cardboard.  He actually disagreed with me as he gave it back, and insisted, against my protests, many times, that it was really wood.  I finally just dropped the subject.  I should have dropped it on his foot.
Daggrim  
A merry heart has a continual feast.

Bob of the Lake

I think the most annoying question I've heard at Faire came from my son. He said, "Dad, can I borrow $10?"  ;D

I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Bob of the Lake on December 15, 2010, 12:53:40 PM
I think the most annoying question I've heard at Faire came from my son. He said, "Dad, can I borrow $10?"  ;D
That's better than 'can I borrow $50?' LOL.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Nighthawk

Quote from: LadyElizabeth on February 23, 2010, 02:30:00 PM
I'm sure they see the connection, I definitely do.  But then again, haven't you seen women getting fondled very often at fair?  With or without their permission at times!!  So it's about time men feel what it's like... haha...
You say that like it's a bad thing...  8)

So... Annoying question. I had a dane ask me why so many men at the Colorado Ren Fest were wearing skirts- and this happened to be on the Celtic Fling weekend!  ::) I just looked at him like he had a third arm growing out of his head and walked away.

The Rabbi

Okey so why was you wearing skirts I would think a Kilt would have been more apprapo. Sorry had to toss in a bit of humor here.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Nighthawk

Quote from: The Rabbi on December 17, 2010, 12:56:06 PM
Okey so why was you wearing skirts I would think a Kilt would have been more apprapo. Sorry had to toss in a bit of humor here.

It gave me an excuse to wear those lacy panties my wife got for Christmas!  8)

The Rabbi

My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Nighthawk

Sir Michael Geare

I was working the last four days of the year at the Rose Parade Expo Village at the Rose Bowl providing entertainment for all the visitors looking at the floats being prepared.  My group does live steel sword fighting at faire so we were doing a sword demonstration.  During one of our shows, a customer was stoped and asked to go around so as not to get hurt.  The customer responded with "How can I get  hurt when they are using plastic swords".  I was put back and all could say was they were indeed real and continued with the fight. 

WTF Moment:  My girlfirend and I were headed back to the car still fully dressed in Gentry attire a mother and little girl walked by and the mother told the girl "look at their tailgate outfits".  Other comments included:  "Look people dressed in Cival War/Victorian clothing".

The main question asked was expected based on where we were performing.  "Are you riding on a float?" or "What float are you on?"
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

jcbanner

the annoying questions I hear seem to border on the absurd.

Are those clothes real?  About as real as that hat on your head!
Are these real buildings?  Are they here year round? I tend to respond, "Of course they are, pretty hard to move a full town full of houses"  A Friend of mine gave this responce, "I just walk into teh booth, push a putton and it all folds up into a briefcase so I can carry it off." 

I swear, I think half of the mundanes belive that a renfaire is like a traveling carnival, at the end of the weekend all the perfomers and merchants load into the back of a truck and drive away with everything together to put the exact same faire on a new patch of ground in a different state. 

And yes, they think we also put the 50ft. trees and the creek in the ground the night before and take them with us.

Dinobabe

I've said similar about Civil War events.  Amazing, isn't it!!! ::)  They also ask if the cannon is real.  They usually mean paper mache (etc.) vs metal but in our case the answer is yes twice.  Yes, it is a cannon that can fire projectiles but it is also an actual cannon that was used in the Civil War!
C'est la vie! ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Nighthawk

Quote from: Sir Michael Geare on January 02, 2011, 08:27:10 PM
I was working the last four days of the year at the Rose Parade Expo Village at the Rose Bowl providing entertainment for all the visitors looking at the floats being prepared.  My group does live steel sword fighting at faire so we were doing a sword demonstration.  During one of our shows, a customer was stoped and asked to go around so as not to get hurt.  The customer responded with "How can I get  hurt when they are using plastic swords".  I was put back and all could say was they were indeed real and continued with the fight. 

I'm in a living history group called the Renaissance Scots. We also do a lot of live steel demonstrations. Similar comments... A lot of the mundanes don't at all grasp the idea that we're using real swords! And then someone gets hospitalized... I was in the middle of explaining to someone while taking pictures that the swords are indeed real, Danny went up for the strike (notice the back of his kilt flying- one of my best pics I have to say!), Curtis went the wrong way and blocked the sword with his glasses... and ended up in the hospital for 2 days!

This is the picture:

jcbanner

Sure thats not just gas? :o

Sorry, some things are hard to resist ;D

LadyStitch

I just loved the actress that said, "Do we really have to practice the sword fights for the show?  I mean all we do is wave it around  anyway."
The sound of pin dropping after she said that was priceless.  Next thing I know she is hauled to her feet by another of our actors  and shown the scar that runs just outside of his eye and down his cheek.   He got that when his sword fight partner DID NOT practice her routine correctly and forgot a section.  20 stitches, and an eye patch for 2 weeks. 
Needless to say she got the picture, and didn't gripe about fight rehearsals EVER again.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Nighthawk

Quote from: jcbanner on January 03, 2011, 11:58:07 PM
Sure thats not just gas? :o

Sorry, some things are hard to resist ;D

There's a local band called Gobs O' Phun who have a song called Tootin' In The Tartan about a bagpipe who eat haggis and cabbage the night before a parade... "When they blow their pipes, they'll take your breath away!"