News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Most annoying question at faire? and your answer.

Started by Queen Bonnie, February 14, 2010, 03:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen_of_Navarre

My least favorite question has been.. who died and made you queen?  Sometimes I reply that I was the first queen of the Emerald Hills of Ampgard, what about you? More often than not I just prefer not to understand the language. It is a fantasy after all and often we are called upon to ignore those who do not understand the game.
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

arbcoind

Them:  "Do you work here?"  All the time.  My answer "no".  And then they look at me like I've just lied to them.  Them:  "Why would you dress up if you don't work here?   Do you get in free if you dress?"  Me:  "no".   They still can't understand.

It annoys me because it happens all day long.

Gina

Queen Bonnie

I am LOVING all these creative answers to questions we all get!
Who died and made me Queen? I go into a long story about that- that is very funny!- and no one had to die! Unless it is from laughter?
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Merlin

Not as many people approach me.... I had to tone down the Dark Wizard a bit because I was scaring the youngsters... maybe this year I'll get approached more.

I do get "Are you a real wizard?" from time to time.

Not sure how to answer that one.... I'm as real as it gets, I suppose.

And why do we wizards get blamed for the bad weather but never get credit for the good weather? I've never had anyone come to me and say "Thanks for the beautiful weather today, Merlin"..... Oh nooooo... but if it rains, boy oh boy will they find me and put the blame on me.

(I have to admit.... Bonnie and I did allow too much rain at Scarby last year)
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Sitara

As a beer wench I tend to get asked, in a myriad of ways, if they can have free beer.  I tell them that "All the free beer is mine" or ask "Why do you want to take money from the children?".  I am a volunteer for the Jaycees so all our profit goes to charity.

Underage kids like to ask for beer as well and smart-assedly point out that there was no drinking age then. To that I like to mention they lacked child labor laws and sanitation then as well and sweetly ask if they would like a shovel.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Capt. Morgan

Quote from: Sitara on February 15, 2010, 10:09:25 PM
As a beer wench I tend to get asked, in a myriad of ways, if they can have free beer.

Hang a sign that reads "Free Beer....tomorrow". That should take care of it!  ;)
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

dfloyd888

Quote from: Merlin on February 15, 2010, 03:01:59 PM
Not as many people approach me.... I had to tone down the Dark Wizard a bit because I was scaring the youngsters... maybe this year I'll get approached more.

And why do we wizards get blamed for the bad weather but never get credit for the good weather? I've never had anyone come to me and say "Thanks for the beautiful weather today, Merlin"..... Oh nooooo... but if it rains, boy oh boy will they find me and put the blame on me.

Wizards have it tough.  Apprentices are not left unscathed as well.

I'd break character if I responded to "Are you a real wizard?" asked to another cast member the way I wanted to:  "No, she's declared integer."

The ones I most likely will get are, "You really need a tan", "Are you evil?", "I thought drow were black-skinned", "What kind of elf are you?", or "Why are your ears pointed?", "I thought vulcans are not fantasy characters?"

will paisley

My character at VARF has a Lucky Charms-type Irish accent, so I usually get a lot of "Why do you talk like that?" As I feel the entire point of faire is to let people know they're not in Kansas any more, I invariably reply with "What accent?".  If people have a legitimate need to talk about the 21st century (where's an ATM machine or First Aid), I'll be glad to accommodate them, but if they're just trying to get me to break character or are "above" that sort of thing (usually teenagers or young adults trying to be "cute"), I'll stick to it until they realize they're beating their head against a wall (by which time all their friends are usually laughing at them).  Most people get into the spirit of things pretty quickly, and will sometimes bend themselves into pretzels trying to explain how the camera that they just used to take my picture works in 16th century terms.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

crazyrennie

As some of you know,I am the stage manager at the Birds of Prey stage at Arizona.
I have had my "fair" number of annoying questions-

Patron- Are they real birds?
Me-Well we tried using fake ones but they just weren't worth the stuffing

Patron-Do they really fly?
Me-Do you really walk?   (I was a little warm that day.)

Patron-How are your tights?
Me-Tight But the codpiece helps.   

I'll post more if I can remember its been a long weekend

Muffin

Quote from: Sitara on February 15, 2010, 10:09:25 PM
As a beer wench I tend to get asked, in a myriad of ways, if they can have free beer.  I tell them that "All the free beer is mine" or ask "Why do you want to take money from the children?".  I am a volunteer for the Jaycees so all our profit goes to charity.

Underage kids like to ask for beer as well and smart-assedly point out that there was no drinking age then. To that I like to mention they lacked child labor laws and sanitation then as well and sweetly ask if they would like a shovel.

Ditto...

Being a Beer Wench I get asked several times a day if they can have free beer.. My answer is "Sure!! You can have free beer with the purchase of this shiny plastic cup!!"

I also get "nice cork" from a lot of men folk.. (talking about my bodice cooler) it always shocks the heck out of them when I pull it out of my bodice to show them what it actually is.. LOL!! The ladies always want to know where I got it!! I happily point them all in the direction the vendor..  :)

I get the usual questions too.. Are you hot in that, which the answer is usually just "yes" I can never think of anything witty to say to that question.. how do you breathe, my answer, "very carefully"..  :o

Or there is the Nice tail, or why do you wear a tail, to which I respond (whilst wiggling my butt) "well everyone likes a little tail with their beer"  ;) :D

A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Dinobabe

Oh, let's see...

Is that fire real?
Is that food real?
Are you really going to eat that?
Do you live here?
Do you sleep here? 
Why would you sleep here?  Because it's my home!
If you were a real person, ....? (I must be a hologram)
What are privies?
Why aren't you watching the death parade?  Duh.  Bad luck, evil spirits, etc.! ;D

And my favorite...
What time is it?  I have a watch hidden under my bracers, I look up at the sun using my hand as a sun shield, easily seeing the watch, and tell them the exact time, they ALWAYS immediately grab a dane and ask the same question, amazed at the accuracy! ???
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DonaCatalina

Aren't you hot in that?

If they are polite I answer no- this is fabric suitable for the climate.

If they are rude I answer no- but then I'm not wearing the wardrobe equivalent of a plastic garbage bag.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Queen Bonnie

I had a little kid ask me if the Elephant at Scarby was real. I said- "No it is just 2 lads in an Elephant suit!" I am Bad!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Capt. Morgan

I also wear a tail, a horse tail and the usual response to "Why are you wearing that?" is "I'm part of the King's/Queen's Calvary" with the softer spoken addition "I just like guys saying "Nice Tail!" Sometimes if I know mundanes are looking at my tail while I'm waiting in line for something, I'll play with my tail (like a woman playing with their long hair) and then I'll turn to them as I'm examining my tail saying "I use "Preference" by L'Oreal because, frankly, I'm worth it..."  ;)
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

joan of arc

Merlin, you did just fine as far as rain was concerned - it is no joke to hold back the Dragon... 8)

Quote from: Merlin on February 15, 2010, 03:01:59 PM

There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me...