News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Most annoying question at faire? and your answer.

Started by Queen Bonnie, February 14, 2010, 03:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Quote from: joan of arc on February 16, 2010, 08:47:13 PM

Merlin, you did just fine as far as rain was concerned - it is no joke to hold back the Dragon... 8)

Quote from: Merlin on February 15, 2010, 03:01:59 PM
Not as many people approach me.... I had to tone down the Dark Wizard a bit because I was scaring the youngsters... maybe this year I'll get approached more.

I do get "Are you a real wizard?" from time to time.

Not sure how to answer that one.... I'm as real as it gets, I suppose.

And why do we wizards get blamed for the bad weather but never get credit for the good weather? I've never had anyone come to me and say "Thanks for the beautiful weather today, Merlin"..... Oh nooooo... but if it rains, boy oh boy will they find me and put the blame on me.

(I have to admit.... Bonnie and I did allow too much rain at Scarby last year)

Thank you Joan.... Thank you very much
Mortals don't realize what we wizards go through to ensure good weather.
The dragon can be nasty when he doesn't want to be tamed.
My new staff should help in these matters... I worked very hard on this one.

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Captain Jack Wolfe

This last season of MNRF when I was in my old pirate kit, I'd get asked "But why is the rum gone?" ad nauseum.  I don't do Jack Sparrow, and I stay far away from the Zombie Jacks that drift through every few hours.  Finally, after one teenage kid asked that question, I replied, "Because it wasn't my turn to watch your mum!"

He failed to see the humour, but his friends thought it was hilarious! 
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Finnian

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on February 16, 2010, 09:45:12 PM
This last season of MNRF when I was in my old pirate kit, I'd get asked "But why is the rum gone?" ad nauseum.  I don't do Jack Sparrow, and I stay far away from the Zombie Jacks that drift through every few hours.  Finally, after one teenage kid asked that question, I replied, "Because it wasn't my turn to watch your mum!"

He failed to see the humour, but his friends thought it was hilarious! 

You win at life sir.

Ginette

My husband, best friend and I all work at the same place and we are all rennies.  So questions are asked a lot by coworkers.  My best friend got married at TRF on AHE weekend this last season, 2009, and the parents of both the bride and groom know nothing about the faire or anything relating to it.  So my daughter and I are in the dressing room getting ready for the wedding and the best friend walks in with her mom and 2 aunts, my daughter and I are in garb already and just working on makeup and hair at this point.  Best friend (we call her T) starts introducing us and the whole time the family is staring at us like we were just beamed in from the mother ship.  Then the mother of the bride asks "This is Ginette ... the Ginette that you talk about?"  And once she asks that I have to go in for a hug and scare her even more!  From then on out her and I were fine.

:D
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

ArielCallista

Due to the fact that I tend to do Scarby belly dancer style, i get alot of "aren't you afraid you'll get a sunburn" from women standing there in booty shorts and halter tops. my natural response is "aren't you" not overly hilarious but definitely a "here's your sign" type of moment.

this will be my first year going noble...I can't wait to hear the dumb questions 'danes come up with
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

arbcoind

I dress as a wench...Last season at PRF I was asked by a 'dane if I was Wiccan.  Why would someone think that let alone ask?  My response, "no". 

Gina

Dinobabe

I was once asked at a Civil War reeanctment, while in full cannoneer unifrom, if I were Canadian?  ???
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Shandi

this from a child..."Are your leggs really that white or are you wearing stockings??"""
and as a kid yanked on my then hip length braid is that real! YES! it's real as I was about to grab a hand full of her hair and yank!
"Chase the Morning" "Yield for Nothing!"

Dinobabe

Childrens' questions I don't mind.  They don't always know how to ask things, and it means that they are interested and thinking.  I'll try to answer whatever weird question a child asks but will often ignore the snooty teenager or act like I don't understand. ::)  What ever happened to simple respect?!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DragonWing

Quote from: arbcoind on February 17, 2010, 12:25:15 PM
I dress as a wench...Last season at PRF I was asked by a 'dane if I was Wiccan.  Why would someone think that let alone ask?  My response, "no".  

Gina

Gina I believe you had a fluff bunny ask you that. That would be someone who is new to the Wiccan religion. Which often than not they think they are a witch. You, dressed as a Wench, probably looked witchy to them.

I think I would have asked them  " What is this Wiccan you talk about? never heard of it."
In that time period you wouldn't have because Wicca didn't evolve until the late 40's early 50's. So a true fluff bunny was asking.  ;)
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

LadyElizabeth

I'm an identical twin, so I get some of these in regular life too.

Q: Are you a twin?
A: oh my gosh, you can see her too?  She's my imaginary friend.

Q: Are you related?
A: I don't know her, do you?

Q: Are you hot in that?
A: Why yes I am (in as sultry of a tone as I can do)

Q: Are you the Queen of Heart?
A: Well,  I could be the queen of your heart...

Just to name a few...
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

SirRichardBear

What your a twin? you mean it wasn't all that scotch after all? 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

arbcoind

Fluff Bunny?  OK, I've been duly warned.  I was dressed in mostly black with a skull print corset. 

Gina

Higgins

Comment - Hey nice tights!

Reply - Thanks. They are velvet, but for the right price they could be felt.

Tammy

Quote from: Higgins on February 19, 2010, 03:29:15 PM
Comment - Hey nice tights!

Reply - Thanks. They are velvet, but for the right price they could be felt.

I SO needed that laugh!! Thank you!!!!  :D :D :o
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.