News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

tips on getting tips?

Started by Queen Bonnie, February 14, 2010, 03:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Bonnie

I will be a volunteer walk around character at our local faire, working for tips.  I have never worked for tips before and would appreciate any help, hints and advise you might have.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Zardoz

What are you going to be doing, my Queen?
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

will paisley

Start out with this thread:

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=1326.0

then go on to these:

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=1779.0

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=7121.0

Pay particularly close attention to anything "aerial angels" (Allison Williams) has to say (in fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea to click on her profile and go through her list or recent posts).
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Queen Bonnie

I am a walk around character interacting with the public. All improv acting. Being myself- Queen of Everything.
I sing- tell stories and pose for pictures and more.
Thanks for the links Will! Very helpful!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Fugli

Tips will often follow the performer, but usually it is the atmosphere that gives people the clue that a tip is in order.  Most people are probably more likely to tip at the end of a stage performance than if they meet someone acting in character in the street. The presence of a hat or tip jar/box also gives a visual clue that one might consider tipping. The problem with street characters is that, when they are performed well, people don't mentally register them as an act, there is no finale, and there is no place to put the tip unless the performer provides it. I do appreciate the occasional patron that just comes up and hands me a tip while I'm singing in the street (I can make that disappear quite nicely with a smile and a nod of my head), but they are relatively rare.

If you want tips, you probably should let people know that you are looking for tips. A wise person once remarked, "if you let people know what you want, you increase your chances of getting it." So, give them the social clues they need. Find a corner to stage a performance. Put down a blanket to define your stage. Put out your hat/box/jar on the ground with something simple like "tips" written on it, and stage a performance that is likely to draw attention.

Either that or get some juicy info on them and blackmail them for big bucks...
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

justsomeguytn

I would like to add, don't let the jerks discourage you.  One of the few things I've seen at faire that made me mad was last year at Carolina.  The Nickel Shakespeare girls were doing a lane performance for a couple.  For those that don't know the Nickel Shakespeare Girls deliver lines from Shakespeare while doing acrobatics.  That's tough.  After they did two or three bits the leader mentioned their basket of unrequited love and asked them if they could contribute.  The couple just turned and walked away.  So I gave the girls a bit of an extra tip.

Queen Bonnie

I have a hand made small tip basket hanging from my belt- with a few dollar bills in it. That might give a hint!
If I got a dollar from everyone that took my picture I would be rich! Wow! But not expecting much. Lets say I will be happily surprised from anything I get!
Thanks for the help! Faire starts Saturday!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Anna Iram

Okay, from a Playtron who can be kind of clueless sometime....

When I first started attending faire I didn't get that the characters that came up to me and wanted to sing or tell me about themselves were working on tips. I just thought they were part of the cast.I did know to tip the stage performers and the lane acts that were clearly a *show*, though I didn't then even know what size tip was appropriate.

Perhaps you could write a little song to sing that advertises what you want to offer (songs, stories etc.) and a suggestion of an offering in return. I'm thinking of the opening to the musical "Oliver": Who will buy my sweet red roses. Two blooms for a penny".

Is that corney? Don't laugh at me...DON'T!  :D

Fugli

We need more schtick like that. I've got one, but it only works on the Jerks that yell out "Play Freebird." I'd like to see some other songs of this ilk.

dbaldock

Queen Anne's Lace have a song that they wrote - I think it's called "Cha-Ching" - that encourages listeners to put a tip in their Tip Mug.   ;D

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Queen Bonnie

I need a feed the kitty song! LOL! Corny- but good idea! Any and all ideas welcome!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Fugli

I've heard the Bilge Pumps sing Pay Me, You Owe Me at the end of a show while they pass the hat.

Verse 2 for Oiseau Libre
(Words: Fugli Tune: Freebird)

Now, I've played as ye've requested.
It's time to leave a tip for me,
or perchance purchase a recording,
from my extensive library.
For I'm puttin' ye on notice,
take this musician's word,
Shoutin' out requests for Skynyrd
is just like flippin' us the bird.
I know it sounds absurd,
that you've been flippin' us the bird.
Now, stop actin' like a turd!

And this is for you Queen Bonnie:

The show is over. What a pity.
Now it's time to feed the kitty.
It's not a toll. It's not a tax,
but before you start makin' tracks
back to the gate, or just down the street,
remember we beggars have to eat.
If you found my performance witty,
pray take a moment to feed my kitty.

stonebiscuit

You could also consider having bills in prominent places (securely attached with safety pins). It's a good social cue.

RenRobin

A lane performer at TRF one time had a staff and had a gourd strapped to it with a hole in it much like a bird house and had a dollar hanging out of it partially. 

You could also hang a sign from your staff like you do when you are looking for a Wizard!

Good Luck my Queen, for I will not be out this season as I am taking care of my father who was in a bad wreck, and mom is living with Bull and I.
Loki-terr (in training)

Anna Iram

You're Majesty, if I might take a turn at a try. For fun. :)

"Pray give of your time and I'll give you a tale. A shilling for kitty for I tell a tale well."

Hahaha...there's a toungue twister!