News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Connectivity issues (Used to be - Issue with castle of the day

Started by Justin, February 10, 2010, 07:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

DeadBishop

R/F.com member since 2003

Rani Zemirah

Haven't had any problems so far!  Thanks for all your hard work!!!  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Tom

Yep, it seems better now. I'm happy  ;D. For those that are curious as to what the problem was and why it took so long to resolve, it goes like this.

We started having connectivity problems on 02/12/10 after a server problem. After four days of screwing around making sure it wasn't a DNS or firewall problem we thought we had traced it down to a switch in the data center.

When a computer attempts to make a connection to a server, it sends a syn packets asking to open communication on a specific port, the server responds with an ack packet, and then they start making their requests.

When reproducing this issue, the initial syn packets on requests that time out, are making it to the network switch where the server is plugged in, but it seemed like they were not making it across that network switch to the server's main tcp stack. We worked with the datacenter to see what could be done to correct this, but we thought we were looking at a switch level issue. Because the problem was intermittent and only effecting IP communication where the syn and ack packets are used, the problem was not immediately apparent.

After swapping the switch the problem still wasn't resolved. We then found an issue with the tcp handling in the firmware of the networking card in the server. To minimize downtime, we had our DC update the firmware on a replacement chassis and once it was done preformed a chassis swap.

Again I apologize for the problems!
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

Merlin

Quote from: NoBill Lurker on February 10, 2010, 07:51:52 PM
Quote from: Justin on February 10, 2010, 07:04:47 PM
Don't know if this is related to your issue but I have to attempt every link twice because the first time I get a standard "may not be connected to internet" but the second time is always successful.

My computer is slow, ugly, and stupid though this is only occuring on this site.

I have noticed that mine's been doing the same thing, just on this site...Hmmm

Same for me...I thought my Firefox was messing up so I switched over to IE and got the same thing...only on this site.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

angusmacinnes

It is much better today.  It only timed out on me once when I first got on.  Thanks guys.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Captain Jack Wolfe

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

dbaldock

Things have pretty much cleared up for my here at home (Houston Comcast Cable Internet, using Opera 10.10 on OpenSUSE 11.2, Linux 2.6.31.12-0.1-default x86_64), except for an odd failure to login on the first attempt.  I use the "auto-login" feature in my Opera browser, so I know the user name and password weren't mis-typed.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

NoBill Lurker

Defiantly a marked improvement... ;D

Thanks for all your continued hard work Tom!!!

HUZZAH!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

dfloyd888

I'm glad you found the problem.  Chasing down SYN/ACK/FIN issues is a bugaboo to deal with because it can appear like many other problems higher up the IP stack.