News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Looking for Advice

Started by Squire Mickey, February 17, 2010, 12:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squire Mickey

Well, I hate to admit this but I have been completely in the dark about RenDezvous past.

Clueless.

Oblivious.

But now that I have seen the event photos posted here, I would love to try to work this in.

I have been fortunate enough to have lived near some great fairs - Grew up at Stearling, spent my 20's at Bristol, spent 9 seasons in at Colorado, and have visited my mom and sister at AZRF from several different seasons.

That being said, I have never "road tripped" specifically to go to a fair.

Now, its not that I am against the idea, just never have done it. Having the wife and twins who are not all that into fair anymore does not make it any easier of a proposition.

So here is the advice part. Coming from Tampa, I see that I must needs fly in. Better to come in on Friday or Thursday? Stay with a group or grab a room? Where? What do people usually spend when they have come in for these thing in the past?

AM I JUST OUT OF MY MIND FOR EVEN CONSIDERING THIS?

Scarby has always been a fair I wanted to visit, along with Tenn and MD. Should I just try to got to those?

H E L P !  P L E A S E!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Queen Bonnie

Do come and enjoy the renndevous!  Come when you can and spend what you want- the food and shops at Scarby are top notch! We would love to meet you! I stay in a motel. There is no onsight camping.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Merlin

Yes.... you must come in for this.

Scarborough is a wonderful faire.... It's big and the shows and vendors are incredible.

Come in on Friday morning.... get to your hotel and hook up with some of the others who are familiar with the area...grab some food and beverage that night.
Get to the faire on Saturday morning around 8:20 for the meet and greet.... I'll serve you up a mimosa and some breakfast treats. You can hook up with a guide or just walk the faire yourself....we'll probably all meet around the FOF area for the parade... eat drink and be marry for a few days.

It's going to be a blast!

Get your room reservations NOW! If it's just you coming....maybe look to share a room with someone else.
But...get your room now. I can guarantee the hotels will ALL book up.

You live only once, my friend. You will not regret coming to this event.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

No your not crazy.I'm coming in from Maryland and have a room at a area hotel.What to spend? Got me,I'm thinking I'll be spending lots on the trip alone. I'll be arriving on Friday and leaving on Monday,I just have to see Scarby!So c'mon Mickey join us and you MUST come to Maryland,it too is a great faire.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Blue66669

Hey there Mickey!!! Great to see that you're considering joining us here in Texas!

Ok, so if you get a hotel, you'll be spending 55 per night at the Super 8 (two nights is 110). That is the "official" hotel for RenDezvous, and we have a block of rooms set aside there. If you fly Continental from Tampa to Dallas (Love Field Airport), you can get your flight for 154, which is pretty good! Tickets through me are 16.50 per ticket presale, and for two days, it's 33.00. Faire costs at Scarby are just like faire costs anywhere. Ace and I spend about 100 per day on food and booze (we bring our own LOL). We're also having a couple of gatherings, one is at a bar on Friday night and the other is at a buffet on Saturday evening after faire.

So, add it up and throw in some extra for padding...

Your trip to Scarby RenDezvous should only set you back about 600 total (food and fun money included).

Please, if you have any questions, call me!
Blaidd Drwg

DonaCatalina

Once Faire gets closer people will start posting their favorite hotels near Scarby. Blue stays in the Super 8
on I35 near the Faire. Connect with her and book your reservations as early as possible. The Texas Motor Speedway takes up a lot of motel rooms in that area also.

see Blue's post above- duh!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Renee Buchanan

We've never been to Scarby, but this is our third RenDezvous (I think 5 have been held). We've had so much fun at the other 2, we try to make as many as we can.  The people that you meet from this forum make it all worthwhile.  We actually plan our vacation to go to RenDezvous, if the faire is held at a time of year when we can get away from our restaurant.

We're staying at the Super 8, although we booked separately from the group.  I booked before Blue had even arranged the rooms, that's how much we wanted to come.

Definitely attend the Meet & Greets, tailgate, parties/dinners after hours.  You'll get to meet so many people and have new friends at any faires you want to visit in the future.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

iain robb

Like you, Squire Mickey, I have long wanted to visit Scarby. And like others, I have been to another RenDezvous, in Maryland last year, and had a great time. You'll have the opportunity to meet many who will be in Texas at the pre-RenDezvous St. Molden's Day bash at BARF. So I say, join us!

eloquentXI

Mickey, I quite hope you can make it! I have been to a couple different faires, both within the state and elsewhere but I'm a little partial to my home faire and can't wait to show the shire to you.

If you are concerned with spending money on food, as the resident college kid, I've found some ways to cut costs over the past few years. Food, you can cut your budget by quite a bit. Buy one of those mini styrofoam coolers, pack sandwich stuff and maybe some fruits or carrots to snack on, or maybe some pretzels. As much as I adore the food on the inside, most of the time, I just can't afford it.

Keep and eye on flights from Tampa to DFW, either on Southwest or American Airlines, the prices differ from day to day and you can catch some really good deals.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

lys1022

Quote from: eloquentXI on March 04, 2010, 09:22:19 AM
If you are concerned with spending money on food, as the resident college kid, I've found some ways to cut costs over the past few years. Food, you can cut your budget by quite a bit. Buy one of those mini styrofoam coolers, pack sandwich stuff and maybe some fruits or carrots to snack on, or maybe some pretzels. As much as I adore the food on the inside, most of the time, I just can't afford it.

Elo makes a good point here, and it's something that I think we've forgotten to mention:  Scarborough allows you to come and go from the faire.  So once you pay to get in, if you want to go to the parking lot to take something to your car that you've bought, or to grab some food from your cooler, all that you have to do is get your hand stamped at the exit and you'll be able to come back in without a fuss.  I know that some faires don't allow any exit and re-entry (I've been to two like that), so we should make sure people are aware of that in case they want to bring food and cut down their costs a bit.

Now, I would recommend bringing money to try a FEW of our specialties because they're downright tasty, but I understand about being on a budget, too!

Lys
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Though for Squire Mickey and anyone else flying (including us), a styrofoam cooler isn't quite the thing to pay $25-$35 to check as baggage on an airplane.  The only feasible option would be to buy a cheap one from Walmart or Target or such once you get there and leave it when you fly home.

Also, if your hotel offers breakfast in the package, they sometimes have containers of yogurt and bowls of fruit.  You could eat heartily at breakfast and then take something with you to munch on later in the day.

I'm looking forward to trying the food there, since I've heard it's so yummy!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Squire Mickey

Well  thanks for all the great input.

The issue is not (for me) if I  can swing enough for food. I mean, truly I'd be worried more about my bar tab.

The issue is gonna be airfair, car rental, and lodging. And if I need to loose time off of work.

Yes I know, Wa Wa Wa. Just trying to figure if its even doable on this end.

Would also like to use it as a scouting mission for a possible venue for Two Gentlemen of Fortune...
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Merlin

Quote from: Squire Mickey on March 04, 2010, 09:34:13 PM
Well  thanks for all the great input.

The issue is not (for me) if I  can swing enough for food. I mean, truly I'd be worried more about my bar tab.

The issue is gonna be airfair, car rental, and lodging. And if I need to loose time off of work.

Yes I know, Wa Wa Wa. Just trying to figure if its even doable on this end.

Would also like to use it as a scouting mission for a possible venue for Two Gentlemen of Fortune...

Everything is doable my friend.

When things are a "one in a lifer"... make it happen, son. Because you only have 1 life.... and it's very short.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Do what ye can today, for it may be yer last.   ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Jay Byrd

Make sure you put thought into how your weapons are going to get there, if you are bringing any.  Maybe you could ship them to somebody in advance as swords and bows could be a hassle at the airlines.

LadyDracolich

If you use it as a scouting trip... It's tax deductible.... :)
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: LadyDracolich on March 16, 2010, 04:19:59 PM
If you use it as a scouting trip... It's tax deductible.... :)

Ha! You know I have thought of that. I am now actually using that to "sell" the idea to the wife as well!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

ItsTheBishop

You're not out of your mind for thinking about it.

If I can get the time off of work and figure out transportation from DFW to Scarbrough, I'll probably end up going as well.

It does seem a little batty to travel long distances for a renn faire, but it sounds like it would be worthwhile.