News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sword Hilted Umbrella- The Ultimate Faire Accessory

Started by BubbleWright, February 18, 2010, 04:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

Museum Replicas has come up with a really neat and useful item for the Renfaire... a sword hilted umbrella. It can be carried on your back and opens in a flash. Cool! Just the thing for those Faires that ban weapons. See Link:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-1135-sword-hilted-umbrella.aspx
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Manwariel

McGuinness

Nice! I'm looking for an appropriate umbrella in case PaRF repeats its monsoon season again (that was MISERABLE!). I know they aren't period, but we're hoping to sneak some by the costumers this year, for the sake of our nobility costumes. I don't think I can manage a sword-hilted one, but hopefully I'll be able to track down another that will work.

ladylissame

I think I know what to get the husband.....and the roommates.....and myself..... ;D

We have already said we want the swashbuckling BBQ swords for our next camping trip. Those are just too cool.

DragonWing

:D  Isn't that great. I just got my catalog this weekend and saw that.
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

BubbleWright

I ordered mine today. They are backordered. Should have ordered before I posted... ;D
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

gem

Quote from: Colleen McGuinness on February 20, 2010, 06:42:42 PM
Nice! I'm looking for an appropriate umbrella in case PaRF repeats its monsoon season again (that was MISERABLE!). I know they aren't period, but we're hoping to sneak some by the costumers this year, for the sake of our nobility costumes. I don't think I can manage a sword-hilted one, but hopefully I'll be able to track down another that will work.

Umbrellas were *known,* if not common in Europe during the 16th century. The Chinese were the first to waterproof parasols, but Europeans used them steadily as sunshades since Roman times. They became more popular for rain use in the 17th and very early 18th centuries.  This website carries a large selection of Asian paper parasols, some of which are water-resistant.  (I think you could probably always treat an ordinary silk, nylon, or paper parasol with waterproofing like CampDry. They're typically not expensive, so you could experiment.)

Dinobabe

Has anybody treated paper for water proofing, umbrella or other item?  Does it actually work?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

ArielCallista

a friend of mine had the samurai sword version from thinkgeek...sadly she left it in a classroom and within like 15 minutes it was stolen :(
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

BubbleWright

Well, I ordered one of these back in February. Apparently the response was overwhelming and their stock sold out, so I had to wait for the next slow boat from India. I was not expecting delivery until the middle of May. Surprise! Guess what I got in the mail today? Yup, a really long box. The umbrella is HUGE. The sword hilt is most impressive. Although the carry bag has a strap, the bag is made of nylon and not the least bit stiff. Because it is carried hilt up, it is top heavy and wants to fall away from your shoulder. I imagine a nice stiff leather bag with a heavy strap would cure this. This is the Bubble Wright's first sword... kind of...  ;D ;D ;D
   Antoine de St. Exupery

gem

Milord got his last week, as well.  I had totally forgotten what I'd ordered him (it was a birthday gift), so it was a fun surprise for both of us!  I had the same thoughts you did--it's a little outsized, but very cool. I like how the inside of the umbrella is silver.

McGuinness

Quote from: gem on February 22, 2010, 05:15:04 PM
Umbrellas were *known,* if not common in Europe during the 16th century. The Chinese were the first to waterproof parasols, but Europeans used them steadily as sunshades since Roman times. They became more popular for rain use in the 17th and very early 18th centuries.  This website carries a large selection of Asian paper parasols, some of which are water-resistant.  (I think you could probably always treat an ordinary silk, nylon, or paper parasol with waterproofing like CampDry. They're typically not expensive, so you could experiment.)

Thanks for the site, Gem. I found some parasols on another site too, but didn't know about this one. I know parasols are period, it was the umbrellas (metal spokes and all) that I was referring to and our costumers frown upon. I've tried a nylon one with CampDry or something similar a couple years ago, but once the bamboo gets wet, it gets soft and warps. I may pick up another one for the light rain days though, as soon as I know my new costuming for 2010.

Taffy Saltwater

Sveethot!

GirlChris

They're also selling the broadsword hilts at ThinkGeek now

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travel-outdoors/d201/

And you save a WHOLE PENNY!

Delireus

I just bought the broadsword from Think Geek! (and you save about 3$ in shipping compared to the other site, though that site has a viking sword style that Think Geek does not) I plan to wear it to KC renfest as they don't allow weapons and I do miss having something at my hip to hold on to you know?

squee!
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is