News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

newbies 2 this!!

Started by wantto_50511, February 22, 2010, 09:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Under my garb, a well corset takes away the need for a bra, while providing support for the back during along day at faire.

Undies, of course. Bloomers under skirts to avoid "ren rash". That's the uncomfortable malady that occurs when the inside of the thighs rub together on warmer days or at any time. Knee high stockings.

AS Lady L pointed out, most hard core faire goers dress comfortably in layers. I can wear my Noble garb in 80 plus degre weather and still feel comfortable due to the layers. It's those who are in tank tops and shorts who are dying.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

QuoteI suppose if you are really active and plan on riding elephants or camels, or plan on the catapult/bungee ride, or climbing the tower, you would wear underwear!

Ha! Now I know the rules! Riding an elephant = need underwear. Got it.  ;D LOL!

One thing nobody's mentioned yet, but that Lady K alluded to above me, is that, whenever possible, try to dress in natural fibers: linen, cotton, wool (no polyester). They breathe and wick moisture away from your body, making you cooler in hot weather, and warmer in cold weather. Overheating can be a significant threat at a lot of summer fairs, and you don't want to be wandering around wrapped in plastic.  ;)

Dinobabe

That is why we can be comfortable in layers when the person in a tank and tee is dying.

People always ask if my wool Civil War uniform is hot.  Natural fibers, baby!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Thanks, gem!

Dressing in NATURAL fibers do keep one cooler on warmer days.

I  often see patrons wearing polyester fabrics, shiny Bridal Satins, etc. I bite my tongue and not say anyhting lest I be snarky. When someone asks me if I am hot, I say that I am not because my garb is made from Natural fibers. The person gets a mini lesson  in why wearing  correct fabrics is the way to go.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady L

Quote from: gem on February 24, 2010, 11:33:20 AM
QuoteI suppose if you are really active and plan on riding elephants or camels, or plan on the catapult/bungee ride, or climbing the tower, you would wear underwear!

Ha! Now I know the rules! Riding an elephant = need underwear. Got it.  ;D LOL!

Well, you just never know when you will be photographed or find yourself on YouTube!!!
Former Shop Owner at MNRF